Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I want to have a new screen, can you have a look? I've some questions :)

DyNast's Avatar What's My Age Again? BT Rep: +20BT Rep +20BT Rep +20BT Rep +20
    Well, I hate my 17" CRT screen, it's old and starting to get fucked up ;(
    I want to buy a new screen, I just want a good return for my money and a good answer for my needs

2. Software & Hardware   -   #12
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    Quote Originally Posted by DyNast View Post
    Well, I hate my 17" CRT screen, it's old and starting to get fucked up ;(
    I want to buy a new screen, I just want a good return for my money and a good answer for my needs
    I feel your pain.

However, it's difficult to get specific as I would have no idea about what's actually available in your neck of the desert.

Furthermore, I always prefer to test drive my peripherals (keyboards/mice/monitors) in person even if the asking price in a store is higher than an etailer.
    Too much tactile info (in the case of the keyboard or mouse) or visual nuance cannot be adequately conveyed through tech specs alone.

Have you looked at monitors in a store near you?
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

3. Software & Hardware   -   #13
    I have taken a look at some Widescreens, but not a deep one
    My friend has this Samsung scream, so I got a farther look at his house on that screen (I wrote what I found out about it and what my conclusions were)

I still don't know what to buy, not even if I'm going to have a widescreen or a 4:3
    I absolutely have no idea

4. Software & Hardware   -   #14
    lynx's Avatar .
    Just to put you straight on a couple of points:

DVDRips are usually widescreen, often 1.85 ratio and sometimes even as much as 2.35. If this is going to be one of your main uses then a widescreen monitor is a must.

Your FX 5600 is quite capable of handling the format, but it may not be able to handle the frame rate and it certainly won't perform HDTV decoding.

I haven't noticed you mention anything about AGP/PCI express. If, as I suspect, it is AGP then I don't think there are any 8 series cards for your system, so if you want HDTV decoding you will have to head over to ATI.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #15
    Quote Originally Posted by lynx View Post
    Just to put you straight on a couple of points:

DVDRips are usually widescreen, often 1.85 ratio and sometimes even as much as 2.35. If this is going to be one of your main uses then a widescreen monitor is a must.
    Well, I watched some DVDRips at my friend's house (the one with the same screen, and a similar computer, and the it seems they are "scratched"...
    That's probably because they are not high resolution (this screen native resolution is 1650x1050 if I'm not wrong)...

That brings me to my next problem:
    I can't get the most of the screen cause my computer is just not strong enough for high resolution videos, and I just want to buy a new screen, not a new computer (or even just a new graphic card)

Quote Originally Posted by lynx View Post
    Your FX 5600 is quite capable of handling the format, but it may not be able to handle the frame rate and it certainly won't perform HDTV decoding.

I haven't noticed you mention anything about AGP/PCI express. If, as I suspect, it is AGP then I don't think there are any 8 series cards for your system, so if you want HDTV decoding you will have to head over to ATI.
    Yes, it's AGP, but as I said, I'm heading for a new screen, not a new graphic card... I wish I could have a new one, but I can't

The underline is that I just can't get what I want from that screen

My computer won't be able to play games in this screen's high supported resolution, and play games in 1024x768 I can do with any other screen
    I don't play that much games anyway, so it's really not my main concern

My computer can't play HD videos, and regular dvdrips\"regular" resolution videos are a "waste" on that screen, I can use any other screen to play them

So... I should buy another one? which one? I'm so confused, I just have no idea what to do, I have no direction!

6. Software & Hardware   -   #16
    peat moss's Avatar Software Farmer BT Rep: +15BT Rep +15BT Rep +15
    If you just buy an entry level LCD widescreen you'll be mightly impressed . 19" for under $ 200 Cnd and no looking back . Any make would n't matter, not sure about prices in your country but do some shopping and search the web .

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12