Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: P2p

Originally posted by JPaul@21 July 2003 - 10:18
    Donīt be obtuse, it does you no credit.
    Sorry, that's the real me... I'd have thought it was obvious by now!

Edit: board spat on me

2. Lounge   -   #12
    Originally posted by JPaul@21 July 2003 - 10:18
    Donīt be obtuse, it does you no credit.
    Sorry, that's the real me... I'd have thought it was obvious by now!

** If I weren't convinced before, I am now - this board HATES ME!!! **

3. Lounge   -   #13
    Poster
    Repeating yourself does not constitute corroboration

4. Lounge   -   #14
    Poster
    JPaul, i'm not questioning what you said (apart from the namecalling), although i'm not sure you understand my position.

I'm not saying that i believe copying music should be made legal (or lawful?), i really don't care so much about the legalities involved. What i do care more about is whether my actions are socially acceptable. Most of my friends either fileshare or benefit from others doing so, but what do the public on large think.

On whether this is lounge material or not, i now see your point and agree with you.

5. Lounge   -   #15
    Poster
    I am surprised at you taking offence at the name calling, the particular form is something I use often. In fact I believe I have used law boy before. It is intended as friendly joshing and not as offensive.

However offense is in the ear of the beholder and I apologise. Please believe that it really was unintentional tho.

The point I make is that whatever the public may think, the vast majority do it. They make copies of copyright material all the time. They tape films and TV programs. They photocopy from books and newspapers. They download pictures and words from the internet.

No-one thinks twice about this, so if they decry you and I they decry themselves.

I bet you the RIAA make photocopies of the legislation they use, as do their lawyers, Police Officers, FBI etc. They are breaching copyright. At least they are where I come from. It is, in essence, no different.

6. Lounge   -   #16
    Ron's Avatar Poster
    I guess it all depends on what social circles you frequent.
    Anyone from the music/movie/software industry will be strongly opposed.
    Most other people will either don't give a ****, or have a positive attitude towards it.

7. Lounge   -   #17
    Ron's Avatar Poster
    Originally posted by JPaul@21 July 2003 - 17:38
    I bet you the RIAA make photocopies of the legislation they use, as do their lawyers, Police Officers, FBI etc. They are breaching copyright. At least they are where I come from. It is, in essence, no different.
    Law texts are copyright material?

8. Lounge   -   #18
    Poster
    In the UK yes.

The copyright to Acts of Parliament (legislation) is held by Her Majesty's Stationery Office.

At least that is my understanding.

9. Lounge   -   #19
    Ron's Avatar Poster
    Might just be a local thing then.
    In Belgium for example, every pub/bar/restaurant is obliged to hang up one (in my case two) law texts.
    One regarding the penalties for alcohol abuse.
    The other regarding minors in pubs.

10. Lounge   -   #20
    thewizeard's Avatar re-member BT Rep: +1
    liquidacid:

As in Belgium, in the Netherlands we can hire cd's from the library for a small fee. There is nothing to stop one from ripping to mp3 format? There is some interesting information in one of the other forums about this subject. I have ripped all my personal cd's and I share them.

When you post in the lounge, a topic that really belong elsewhere, you must expect a little humour.

@Edit: thank you Linx (VAN=FROM)....Dutch lesson!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast