Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Anyone remember this software?

Code:
    http://www.klaimsoft.com/winuha/

2. Software & Hardware   -   #12
    mbucari1's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35
    I downloaded civil 3d 2007 from demonoid about a year ago and it was packed VERY tight. wasn't 10:1 compression, but at least 5:1. It also took FOREVER to extract as others have said. The archiver was winuha. I 3was impressed and tried to use it for other things, but it was just too damn slow.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #13
    optimus_prime's Avatar Guardian BT Rep: +2
    nah, "i remember", "i saw", "i heard" won't really help
    civ 4 is 1.4G and you claim you saw it compressed to 280MB?
    you could see something like that on demonoid, maybe even more likely on some public tracker. but there's a reason why you won't find that kind of files on any decent tracker. and that's no conspiracy to keep mega-compression secret. they just don't allow corrupted files

as for winuha, uharc has smaller compression ratio than both paq and winrk. after it's marathon compression sessions are over, it's a bit ahead winrar, even less ahead 7-zip, and way below magic.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #14
    mbucari1's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35
    Quote Originally Posted by optimus_prime View Post
    nah, "i remember", "i saw", "i heard" won't really help
    civ 4 is 1.4G and you claim you saw it compressed to 280MB?
    you could see something like that on demonoid, maybe even more likely on some public tracker. but there's a reason why you won't find that kind of files on any decent tracker. and that's no conspiracy to keep mega-compression secret. they just don't allow corrupted files

as for winuha, uharc has smaller compression ratio than both paq and winrk. after it's marathon compression sessions are over, it's a bit ahead winrar, even less ahead 7-zip, and way below magic.
    This isn't something I "saw". I downloaded the file, had to figure out which tool i needed to extract, then extracted a file which bloated to several times its original size. I then proceeded to INSTALL and USE the application. It was not corrupt, and worked flawlessly.

Tell me, did YOU download that release? if not, please hold your tongue.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #15
    Quote Originally Posted by mbucari1 View Post
    This isn't something I "saw". I downloaded the file, had to figure out which tool i needed to extract, then extracted a file which bloated to several times its original size. I then proceeded to INSTALL and USE the application. It was not corrupt, and worked flawlessly.

Tell me, did YOU download that release? if not, please hold your tongue.
    now you're just plain lying. can you find that magical 280mb civ4 anywhere on the internet for us to see?

6. Software & Hardware   -   #16
    KazaaBoy's Avatar Nothing On The Moon.
    optimus_prime, you are in denial. Most of us have shown you that it is possible but yet you refuse to accept it. This thread is not for you because you are not being helpful.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #17
    well it depend on files mainly multimedia one, the type of compression is UHARC i cant remember the exact group that employ it usage, but it was mainly for their RIP releases. But the compression ratio isn't what you stated "700mb to 12mb" thats a bit exaggerated IMO. It was more along the line of 700mb to 250-300mb.
    :: decoding reality ::

8. Software & Hardware   -   #18
    Hell, I could make a 1GB binary file that could be compressed to a few KB with winrar (have done it). Compression depends on the compressibility of the file. It also depends on what type of file is being compressed and how the algorithm processes the data. 7z probably offers the best compression on average, but it sucks at compressing wavs. However, ape is phenomenal at wav compression.

I don't know the theory behind winuha's algorithm, but SOMETHING about it makes it more efficient at compressing specific files (such as the libraries of an application).

9. Software & Hardware   -   #19
    Quote Originally Posted by KazaaBoy View Post
    optimus_prime, you are in denial. Most of us have shown you that it is possible but yet you refuse to accept it. This thread is not for you because you are not being helpful.
    yeah, right
    neither of you actually shown anything, and that's no wonder, because such compression doesn't exist. if your goal is to confuse or entertain people, i don't mind you claiming you personally performed nuclear fusion in your room. but then keep it in the lounge section. there is no way your blatant misinformations will pass here

Quote Originally Posted by mbucari1 View Post
    Hell, I could make a 1GB binary file that could be compressed to a few KB with winrar (have done it). Compression depends on the compressibility of the file. It also depends on what type of file is being compressed and how the algorithm processes the data. 7z probably offers the best compression on average, but it sucks at compressing wavs. However, ape is phenomenal at wav compression.
    you can make a 4 byte file that would unpack into 2TB it would contain letters "2TBx" and on unpacking special unpacker would create 2TB file filled with letter x. but that's besides the point. also, multimedia compression algorithms are whole different ball game, let's for now stick to general data packers.
    compression algorithms are under development and focus of specialized communities, there is no mystery, and no unknown magical compression. highest level of packing comes with paq and winrk. for normal usage 7z offers just a bit stronger compression than winrar. that said i would still pick winrar, and the scene obviously agrees

10. Software & Hardware   -   #20
    *delete*
    Last edited by optimus_prime; 12-02-2007 at 10:44 AM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast