View Poll Results: What is most important about trackers?

Voters
89. You may not vote on this poll
  • Speed

11 12.36%
  • Pretimes

3 3.37%
  • Content

47 52.81%
  • Rarity

2 2.25%
  • Forums

4 4.49%
  • IRC

0 0%
  • Design

4 4.49%
  • Security

12 13.48%
  • Friendly staff

3 3.37%
  • Other (specify)

3 3.37%
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: What is most important about trackers?

grimms's Avatar Excuse Me? BT Rep: +16BT Rep +16BT Rep +16BT Rep +16
    Security and Content. I think a great mix of rarity with great content is what makes a tracker popular. A great forum community will make the tracker priceless. I love a friendly environment on top of an already excellent site. Could care less about pre-time. It's great to have but not as important as great content.

Excuse Me?
    Didn't Think So!

2. BitTorrent   -   #52
    pro267's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +7BT Rep +7
    Quote Originally Posted by TP635 View Post
    Rarity: If this refer to content's rarity, then yes it is important to me
    Just to make it clear, I was referring to to the difficulty of attaining an invitation to a site.

Quote Originally Posted by supper View Post
    can any one clear plz what do u mean by Security here i mean why i should care about Security i dont mean any thing relly i am just trying to understand here ?
    By Security I mean how safe is the tracker and its members are while using it, including:
    What are the chances of the tracker being targeted by authorities?
    How well written is the site and tracker code? Were security issues (SQL injection for example) properly addressed?
    What effort does the tracker do to protect its members' information (e.g: does a tracker properly encrypt passwords? Are user passwords stored on the tracker? Will a raid of authorities on the tracker compromise its members?)
    Is there support for encrypted connections to site?

I hope this answers your question. As you can see, the definition of "Security" is very wide in my opinion. I would have probably added a few more items to that list if I wasn't in a hurry.
    546f74616c6c792072616e646f6d20746578742e20416d617a696e671f20696e6e69742e

3. BitTorrent   -   #53
    Neszton's Avatar n00bs are delicious BT Rep: +10BT Rep +10
    In my opinion speed, friendly staff, pretimes and the forums.

4. BitTorrent   -   #54
    lsw0794's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +11BT Rep +11BT Rep +11
    peers and speed
    Time and tide wait for no man

5. BitTorrent   -   #55
    BANNED BT Rep: +65BT Rep +65BT Rep +65BT Rep +65BT Rep +65BT Rep +65BT Rep +65BT Rep +65BT Rep +65BT Rep +65BT Rep +65BT Rep +65BT Rep +65
    Quote Originally Posted by pro267 View Post
    Just to make it clear, I was referring to to the difficulty of attaining an invitation to a site.

Quote Originally Posted by supper View Post
    can any one clear plz what do u mean by Security here i mean why i should care about Security i dont mean any thing relly i am just trying to understand here ?
    By Security I mean how safe is the tracker and its members are while using it, including:
    What are the chances of the tracker being targeted by authorities?
    How well written is the site and tracker code? Were security issues (SQL injection for example) properly addressed?
    What effort does the tracker do to protect its members' information (e.g: does a tracker properly encrypt passwords? Are user passwords stored on the tracker? Will a raid of authorities on the tracker compromise its members?)
    Is there support for encrypted connections to site?

I hope this answers your question. As you can see, the definition of "Security" is very wide in my opinion. I would have probably added a few more items to that list if I wasn't in a hurry.
    its clear for my now thank you i think this happend in hdbits before there was security issues if i am not wrong and this made me lost my email with some accounts too so yes i think security is very important in that way

6. BitTorrent   -   #56
    pro267's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +7BT Rep +7
    Ok, the poll is closed.
    Very interesting results. The majority of users seem to be interested in the content of the trackers, and none of them seem to care that much about the IRC (no votes and only 2 posts mentioned it, one of which was in a negative context).

As I explained earlier, I deliberately chose to exclude the "community" option from the poll as that would have drawn many votes just because of the buzz around the word "community". I've included the Forums, IRC and Friendly Staff options to try and replace that and all 3 options together got less than 8%. Of course, a community is much more than the combination of these 3 factors (there are bonds, atmosphere etc.), but still I would have expected community oriented people to be more inclined to vote for one of these options. The lack of votes there is a good indication that most users are indeed not interested in communities.

The 2nd most important option according to the poll is Security, with 13.5% of the votes. I find that very encouraging, as I think many times security is overlooked, and in the post Oink torrent-world, I believe Security is one of the most important aspects of file sharing.

It would've been great if I could do a complete comparison of the results with those of a previous poll made by 0Ri0N about 6 months ago, but unfortunately some of the metrics differ and it seems that he allowed multiple answers to the poll whereas I only allowed a single answer, which makes it very hard to compare between the two. One thing that is worth mentioning in this regard is that in the previous poll, Speed was found to be the most important factor, while in this poll it only got to 3rd place with 12.36% of the votes. One explanation would be that people are becoming less and less bothered by speed, but a more probable explanation would be that people are still quite interested in speed but usually it's not the most important thing for them - that's why Speed got a very high number of votes in a multiple answers poll and only managed 3rd place in a single answer poll.

Anyway, I would like to thank all the people that participated in the poll.
    546f74616c6c792072616e646f6d20746578742e20416d617a696e671f20696e6e69742e

7. BitTorrent   -   #57
    hijump's Avatar Beyond L33T BT Rep: +17BT Rep +17BT Rep +17BT Rep +17
    1. Pre
    2. Content
    3. Staff

8. BitTorrent   -   #58
    content is the keypoint

9. BitTorrent   -   #59
    barral01's Avatar Member BT Rep: +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100
    Content and speed.

10. BitTorrent   -   #60
    stoi's Avatar BCG Owner BT Rep: +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45
    im only a member of BCG so sort of lived in a cave when it comes to other trackers.

but for me it all depends on the type of tracker.

Some sort of half decent community but it doesnt have to be 3000 posts a day in the forums.

Most staff are friendly anyway, its only if you do something wrong you think they are an ass.

design = you cant please everyone all the time, some may like it, others hate it, so that doesnt realy bother me that much.

rarity= what the hell is this anyway, im still confused lol

ppl say there isnt a lot of demand for a tracker, so it shouldnt go up, but then it hasnt got invites or open signups and they come down hard on trading. so hmm im not surprised there isnt a lot of demand for it.

so no rarity doesnt bother me at all.

0 day tracker = pre times

an everything tracker = content

specialized tracker = content

A brand new tracker = security (as in tracker side, db secure etc) but then you never know if it is, even if the owner says it is, it still might have a lot of holes.

A well established tracker probably has most holes secured, or should have if they have lasted a while.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast