Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Biggest Upset In Sports History?

Bucktoof's Avatar Byaaah! BT Rep: +8BT Rep +8
    It was certainly a massive upset, one of the biggest in recent years. But being a more avid hockey and soccer fan, there have been numerous other big upsets so I can't say this one to be the biggest.

About the Brazil example, I would say that's bigger because how often has Uruguay been in the World Cup? Brazil has won it the most times and been to the finals quite often - and the World Cup is held every 4 years and takes a lot of qualifying for a country like Uruguay to go through
    http://4t.myminicity.com/ind - build industry!
    http://4t.myminicity.com/tra - build transportation
    http://4t.myminicity.com/sec - build security

2. Sports Club   -   #12
    deuce6000's Avatar Go Giants!! BT Rep: +25BT Rep +25BT Rep +25BT Rep +25BT Rep +25
    Quote Originally Posted by DefX View Post
    Funny you ask that Bus. One of the local commentators here in NY was saying earlier that the Broadway Joe's Jets upset of the Colts in the 60's and the Amazin Mets beating the Orioles in 69 were bigger upsets. I was like, wtf?

This upset should definitely be ranked right there at the top. Here's why:

1. The Pats has set countless of team and individual records in the regular season while the Giants were a mere wild card team that everyone has basically written off.

2. Pats has many reps at the Pro Bowl while the Giants has one On paper, even I had to admit this could get lopsided early if the Giants defense were off their game just a bit.

3) Pats had enumerable players with SB experience while the Giants had three: Strahan, Toomer and some former Pat player.

They had everything going for them except for destiny. This will sting for a while for all New Englanders. I know it would pretty much devastate me if it was my team vying for perfection and immortality.
    All great points.The one giant that is actually in the pro bowl said something about maybe boycotting the game just because he thought it was stupid that a super bowl winning team could only have 1 pro bowl player in it.I doubt he does but he is right about that.I wonder how many super bowl teams have had only one pro bowl player if any.
    Last edited by deuce6000; 02-04-2008 at 06:48 AM.

3. Sports Club   -   #13
    RPerry's Avatar Synergy BT Rep: Bad Rep
    I still think the Tyson / Douglas fight was sports biggest upset. I watched the Giants play very well against NE in the last regular season game, if not for a Wide-open Randy Moss on 2 plays in a row, the outcome of that game might have been different as well. Kudos to Eli for shutting out the critics and growing up a lot over the past 5 weeks.

4. Sports Club   -   #14
    Sanka113's Avatar Bobsled King BT Rep: +25BT Rep +25BT Rep +25BT Rep +25BT Rep +25
    It's probably not the biggest upset in sports history due to the fact that the giant's had played the pats about a month ago and played them well. I thought that if the pat's were going to go down it'd be to someone that has played them this season...The giants.

I think it is kinda interesting that the Giants lost to Dallas, Green Bay, and NE in the regular season. It must have been sweet beaten those 3 teams when it mattered the most.
    See ya in another life, brother.

5. Sports Club   -   #15
    Busyman™'s Avatar Use Logic Or STFU!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucktoof View Post
    It was certainly a massive upset, one of the biggest in recent years. But being a more avid hockey and soccer fan, there have been numerous other big upsets so I can't say this one to be the biggest.

About the Brazil example, I would say that's bigger because how often has Uruguay been in the World Cup? Brazil has won it the most times and been to the finals quite often - and the World Cup is held every 4 years and takes a lot of qualifying for a country like Uruguay to go through
    What are you talking about?

Didn't Uruguay win the first WC? Brazil lost to them in the 4th one?

Brazil won many WCs after that.

Quote Originally Posted by Sanka113 View Post
    It's probably not the biggest upset in sports history due to the fact that the giant's had played the pats about a month ago and played them well. I thought that if the pat's were going to go down it'd be to someone that has played them this season...The giants.

I think it is kinda interesting that the Giants lost to Dallas, Green Bay, and NE in the regular season. It must have been sweet beaten those 3 teams when it mattered the most.
    Good point on your last.

However, one can't discount the fact that a handful of teams played the Pats tough later.

The best team to play the Pats tough was actually the Baltimore Ravens.

Had it not been for a timeout that nullified a stop on 4th down with 1:30 left in the 4th quarter (NE only had 1 timeout left), then B'more had the win.

B'more would have needed to take a knee 3 times.

The was some destiny shit there.
    Last edited by Busyman™; 02-04-2008 at 11:19 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

6. Sports Club   -   #16
    Cheese's Avatar Poster
    Greece winning the European Championships in 2004 is in my opinion the biggest sports upset of recent times. They were 150-1 to win the Championships before the tournament and ranked very low in the FIFA rankings, if you went back in time and told people they would win you'd have been laughed at and burnt as a witch.

Uruguay going over Brazil is universally regarded as a massive sporting upset as Brazil were (and are) a footballing powerhouse, they were playing at home (the World Cup having been won by the host nation 2 times out of 3 thus far) and they only needed a draw to win the tournament (1950 had the retarded league system to decided the World Cup winners).
    Last edited by Cheese; 02-04-2008 at 12:42 PM.

7. Sports Club   -   #17
    Barbarossa's Avatar mostly harmless
    Denmark winning the Euro 92 tournament was a bit of an upset considering they didn't even qualify for the finals

For those unfamiliar with events, they took the place of Yugoslavia who were disqualified for being horrible and fighty and all that, and then went on to beat Germany, who were the reigning world champions.

8. Sports Club   -   #18
    Cheese's Avatar Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Barbarossa View Post
    Denmark winning the Euro 92 tournament was a bit of an upset considering they didn't even qualify for the finals

For those unfamiliar with events, they took the place of Yugoslavia who were disqualified for being horrible and fighty and all that, and then went on to beat Germany, who were the reigning world champions.
    I was thinking about that one as well, I wonder what their odds were before the tournament.

Two of my favourite sporting upsets have to be Cameroon doing over Argentina in 1990 and Senegal beating France in 2002.

Rey Mysterio winning the 2006 Royal Rumble has to be another candidate for biggest upset in sporting history.

9. Sports Club   -   #19
    Barbarossa's Avatar mostly harmless
    Plymouth Argyle beating West Bromwich Albion in the Quarter Final of the FA Cup in 1984

When you're 12, that sort of shit is pretty damn upsetting

10. Sports Club   -   #20
    RoSsoNeRI's Avatar LoUiS VuiTtoN DoN BT Rep: +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheese View Post
    Senegal beating France in 2002.
    yeah that was certainly shocking.....I remember waking up at 4 am to watch that game n just couldn't believe what was happening

Rey Mysterio winning the 2006 Royal Rumble has to be another candidate for biggest upset in sporting history.
    wrestling is all fake man....no upsets there

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast