Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Biggest Upset In Sports History?

RPerry's Avatar Synergy BT Rep: Bad Rep
    I agree that this Superbowl became an emotional upset, I wouldn't have been upset at all to watch someone go undefeated. I'm just pointing out that the Giants were far from a push-over, and also knowing they came awfully close to ending the Patriot's perfect season in week 17, I really don't consider this a statistical upset.

2. Sports Club   -   #32
    Cheese's Avatar Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by stoi View Post
    I think it all depends what country your from and what sport you follow.

I agree it was one of the biggest upsets of all time, but i would not say it was the biggest.

some have already mentioned "soccer" ones (i hate that word lol) but here is another one.

Sunderland beating Leeds in the 1972 FA Cup Final.

Leeds had won the league 2 years running, (1st division, premier division now) and Sunderland were languishing in the bottom of the 2nd division (championship now) and Sunderland won 1-0. Leeds were like the Chelsea/Man U/Arsenal of their time back then.

so that to me is one of the biggest upsets of all time. but there are to many to list realy, Hereford beating Newcastle United is another one that springs to mind.
    Given your examples I am going to have to assume you're a mackem.

3. Sports Club   -   #33
    grimms's Avatar Excuse Me? BT Rep: +16BT Rep +16BT Rep +16BT Rep +16
    1986 Mets beating the Boston Red Sox is a bigger upset. I'm pissed my hometown team lost to the Giants. They just didn't want it as much. The'll win it next year for sure!

Excuse Me?
    Didn't Think So!

4. Sports Club   -   #34
    Busyman™'s Avatar Use Logic Or STFU!
    Quote Originally Posted by RPerry View Post
    I agree that this Superbowl became an emotional upset, I wouldn't have been upset at all to watch someone go undefeated. I'm just pointing out that the Giants were far from a push-over, and also knowing they came awfully close to ending the Patriot's perfect season in week 17, I really don't consider this a statistical upset.
    The Pats still won. Many teams came close to beating them.

Baltimore was an ill-advised time out away from beating them. That was THE closest.

Philly and Indy also with the Pats coming from behind to win.

The Pats still won. Hell the Jets played 'em decent the second time.

The Pats still won.

It don't change 18 straight games in the NFL.

That ain't emotion. That's a statistical anomaly. I don't care if all 18 games were won by 1 point.

Quote Originally Posted by grimms View Post
    1986 Mets beating the Boston Red Sox is a bigger upset. I'm pissed my hometown team lost to the Giants. They just didn't want it as much. The'll win it next year for sure!
    Nah if you are talking baseball, the Sawks coming from 3 down to beat the Yanks in the World Series easily trumps that one.
    Last edited by Busyman™; 02-08-2008 at 02:17 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

5. Sports Club   -   #35
    DefX's Avatar Macula.Lutea. BT Rep: +24BT Rep +24BT Rep +24BT Rep +24BT Rep +24
    Quote Originally Posted by Busyman™ View Post

Nah if you are talking baseball, the Sawks coming from 3 down to beat the Yanks in the World Series easily trumps that one.
    Actually, that was ALCS, not WS.

And that was more like the Yankees choking/meltdown than an upset. Bosox had a hell of a team in 04 so they were no pushovers.

Mets in '69 beating the O's. Now that was an upset.

Also, after having heard arguments from NFL experts, I've realized that this recent Giants win isn't the biggest upset in SB history either. It comes close but no cigar. I can see how Namath's Jets beating the Colts in '69 was a bigger upset seeing many folks considered the AFL as an inferior league back then before the merger. Also evidenced by the Packers pulvorizing its AFL counterparts in the 2 prior Superbowls. Heck, the 01 Pats were bigger underdogs when they played the Rams in the SB.
    "However awkwardly they might navigate the outside world, over the board they were killers." - NYT

6. Sports Club   -   #36
    RPerry's Avatar Synergy BT Rep: Bad Rep
    The Pats still won. Many teams came close to beating them.

Baltimore was an ill-advised time out away from beating them. That was THE closest.

Philly and Indy also with the Pats coming from behind to win.

The Pats still won. Hell the Jets played 'em decent the second time.

The Pats still won.

It don't change 18 straight games in the NFL.

That ain't emotion. That's a statistical anomaly. I don't care if all 18 games were won by 1 point.
    That still makes it an upset, but not the biggest upset ever. Forgive my lack of explaining that in the post. Upset, yes. biggest upset, hell no.

7. Sports Club   -   #37
    Busyman's Avatar Use Logic Or STFU!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by DefX View Post

Actually, that was ALCS, not WS.

And that was more like the Yankees choking/meltdown than an upset. Bosox had a hell of a team in 04 so they were no pushovers.

Mets in '69 beating the O's. Now that was an upset.

Also, after having heard arguments from NFL experts, I've realized that this recent Giants win isn't the biggest upset in SB history either. It comes close but no cigar. I can see how Namath's Jets beating the Colts in '69 was a bigger upset seeing many folks considered the AFL as an inferior league back then before the merger. Also evidenced by the Packers pulvorizing its AFL counterparts in the 2 prior Superbowls. Heck, the 01 Pats were bigger underdogs when they played the Rams in the SB.
    I think a team coming from 3 games down to win 4 in a row against the Yankees is bigger. I think don't that ever happened in a WS. Ever.

Also I've heard the same about the Jets. However, inferior league, whatever.

They were still pro players. It's not like it was a high school team.

It's hard to get bigger than 18-0 in the NFL. 35 years, man.
    Silly bitch, your weapons cannot harm me. Don't you know who I am? I'm the Juggernaut, Bitchhhh!

Flies Like An Arrow, Flies Like An Apple
    ---12323---4552-----
    2133--STRENGTH--8310
    344---5--5301---3232

8. Sports Club   -   #38
    deuce6000's Avatar Go Giants!! BT Rep: +25BT Rep +25BT Rep +25BT Rep +25BT Rep +25
    It wasn't the world series...

9. Sports Club   -   #39
    Busyman™'s Avatar Use Logic Or STFU!
    Quote Originally Posted by deuce6000 View Post
    It wasn't the world series...
    Shit my bags. I keep saying WS.

10. Sports Club   -   #40
    deuce6000's Avatar Go Giants!! BT Rep: +25BT Rep +25BT Rep +25BT Rep +25BT Rep +25
    Yeah because the world series was just an after though after the great series between the sox and yanks.That year will be remembered for the alcs the world series was a given.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast