Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567

Thread: Biggest Upset In Sports History?

RPerry's Avatar Synergy BT Rep: Bad Rep
    Quote Originally Posted by j2k4 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by RPerry View Post
    Its funny people seem to forget about this team: http://www.pro-football-reference.co...s/min/1998.htm I on the other hand never forget who my team beats, or gets beaten by. (Tampa Bay) This Minnesota team was probably among the greats, but because they also fell short in a superbowl bid, are hardly mentioned either.
    Yeah, but gee whiz, Rob - they lost to the frigging Falcons.
    but the falcons were pretty good that year

2. Sports Club   -   #62
    j2k4's Avatar en(un)lightened
    Quote Originally Posted by RPerry View Post

Yeah, but gee whiz, Rob - they lost to the frigging Falcons.
    but the falcons were pretty good that year
    If you insist.
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

3. Sports Club   -   #63
    Busyman™'s Avatar Use Logic Or STFU!
    Are the Pats not amongst the greatest all-time teams?
    Absolutely. 3 SB wins in 4 appearances in 7 years. Not bad.
    Quote Originally Posted by j2k4
    Again, while I personally don't count the Dolphins amongst the greatest teams, I find it sort of appalling they are never even mentioned.
    Mentioned where? I always hear people mention the Dolphins. I don't see where it goes down in upset history. Although they were undefeated, they actually upset the Redskins.

The '72 Dolphins were mentioned even more this past NFL season for obvious reasons. Easy schedule or not, perfection is not easy in football.

Quote Originally Posted by DefX View Post
    My point is the undefeated record of the 72 Dolphins is not indicative of their playing strength in comparison to the best teams debated around since their easy schedule paved the way for them to go undefeated in the first place. I looked it up and found out that the overall winning pct of all their opponents that season was .400 . They also didn't dominate their playoff opponents (both their playoff games were nailbiters, i believe) which would've put them in the "dominant" pedestal that is prereq for any talk of "greatest team ever".
    Mmk.

The Patriots played in shitty division....for years.

This year no one in their divsion made the playoffs with the Bills being closest with a nice 7 wins (.438). The rest?

The Jets with 4 wins (.250) and the Dolphins with a mere 1 win (.063).

Well that's 6 games out of a 16 game season right there. Their divisional opponents cumulatively actually averaged the Jets average.
    Last edited by Busyman™; 03-03-2008 at 02:10 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

4. Sports Club   -   #64
    DefX's Avatar Macula.Lutea. BT Rep: +24BT Rep +24BT Rep +24BT Rep +24BT Rep +24
    Quote Originally Posted by Busyman™ View Post

Quote Originally Posted by DefX View Post
    My point is the undefeated record of the 72 Dolphins is not indicative of their playing strength in comparison to the best teams debated around since their easy schedule paved the way for them to go undefeated in the first place. I looked it up and found out that the overall winning pct of all their opponents that season was .400 . They also didn't dominate their playoff opponents (both their playoff games were nailbiters, i believe) which would've put them in the "dominant" pedestal that is prereq for any talk of "greatest team ever".
    Mmk.

The Patriots played in shitty division....for years.

This year no one in their divsion made the playoffs with the Bills being closest with a nice 7 wins (.438). The rest?

The Jets with 4 wins (.250) and the Dolphins with a mere 1 win (.063).

Well that's 6 games out of a 16 game season right there. Their divisional opponents cumulatively actually averaged the Jets average.
    What you say is true. AFC east is one of the weakest in the NFL but despite that, the Pats still had to play tougher opposition overall this season compared to the 72 Dolphins.

Had to look it up but i found out that 72 Dolphins and the 07 Pats had winning percentages of 0.357 and 0.469 respectively.

Thats more than 100 pt differential plus they had to play 6 playoff teams in the regular season.
    Last edited by DefX; 03-04-2008 at 05:17 PM.
    "However awkwardly they might navigate the outside world, over the board they were killers." - NYT

5. Sports Club   -   #65
    2 Million Ways BT Rep: +7BT Rep +7
    my biggest upset was

a semi-final match in Uefa Cup

my team scored 2 goals...in the first half

and if the other team wanted to qualify they had to score 4 goals :-<.

in the last minute they scored the 4th goal ..I cryed like a biatch

6. Sports Club   -   #66
    ClodiuS's Avatar Custom User Title BT Rep: +2
    Milan-Liverpool The final of Istambul!

7. Sports Club   -   #67
    BluRossonero's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35
    Quote Originally Posted by MiniMalistic View Post
    my biggest upset was

a semi-final match in Uefa Cup

my team scored 2 goals...in the first half

and if the other team wanted to qualify they had to score 4 goals :-<.

in the last minute they scored the 4th goal ..I cryed like a biatch
    Are you talking about the incredible match between Middlesbrough and Steaua Bucharest?

If that is what you are talking about.. that was a very big upset...

Quote Originally Posted by ClodiuS View Post
    Milan-Liverpool The final of Istambul!
    You're right man! I also said in an earlier post that this was a very big upset for Milan!

Anyway.. Milan always comeback to high level football ( =Final of UCL)

8. Sports Club   -   #68
    Septimus's Avatar -- Nicolas -- BT Rep: +65BT Rep +65BT Rep +65BT Rep +65BT Rep +65BT Rep +65BT Rep +65BT Rep +65BT Rep +65BT Rep +65BT Rep +65BT Rep +65BT Rep +65
    when Argentina was out in the first round of the Wordl Cuo 2002

9. Sports Club   -   #69
    Poster
    If you're a fan of A.C. Milan, then the final vs. Liverpool in UEFA Champs. League 2005.
    If you're a fan of the world of track & field, then the Ben Johnson doping scandal in Seoul 1988.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567