Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Adolf Hitler Mein Kampf should stuff like this be banned

This kind of books are important because people need to read and understand that the nazis ideas are wrong, ban a book is not a solution.

2. File Sharing   -   #22
    TheFoX's Avatar www.arsebook.com
    The true sign of a free system is that people can say or do, within reason, what they like. We do have some cursory rules, otherwise we would have people driving on both sides of the street, but with some simply guidelines in place, society works reasonably well.

Censorship is abhorrent. The moment someone decides what we can, and what we cannot, read/watch/listen to, restricts our right to judge for ourselves.

None the less, there are those in authority who honestly believe that we, as individuals, are incapable of rational judgement.

We have games censors, who decide that Manhunt is too violent to allow us to play. They believe that these sort of games would encourage us to emulate the behaviour in real life. I am sure that most of us can distinguish between a virtual release from the stresses of the real world (the game) and the real world itself (driving on the correct side of the road, or not suffocating someone with a plastic bag).

As for the Nazi literature, I am sure that most of us could read that, and reflect how stupid it seems now. Often, the value of these works is in the laughter department, knowing that the author actually believed in those values he held so dear.

As for history, we need to be reminded of the mistakes of the past, so that we, hopefully, won't make the same mistakes in the future.

Recently, the church urged the UK government to apologise for the Slave Trade, and Tony Blair formally apologised for this.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/6492291.stm

This sort of message makes me sick. Firstly, this trade happened many generations ago, and the people who benefited from are long dead.

Secondly, every action has a reaction. There are many prominent black Americans who would not be prominent if their ancestors had not been slaves. In other words, the slave trade managed to create quite a mix in many countries, and has set the stage for today, where black and white work together without regard for their skin colour.

What has happened, has happened, and we cannot turn the clocks back. We learn from our past, to hopefully create a better future. Mistakes have been made, but those mistakes make us stronger.

Finally, would Hollywood be better if we didn't have Samuel L Jackson, or Eddy Murphy, or Danny Glover, or many other stars of African descent. Would the first Iraq war been better if Colin Powel had not been at the forefront. We live in a world where achievement is not related to colour, but to intelligence. Colour is just the wrapping, and the slave trade has allowed some excellent intelligence to filter out of Africa and into the other continents.

3. File Sharing   -   #23
    There has never & will never be an entirely free system, devoid of all censorship . There will always be a certain percentage of sick & twisted feckers that would take advantage of such freedom, society has to be able to regulate against the worst excesses (paedo's & the like) .
    Wishfull thinking/moralising isn't going to make the bad men disappear from the equation .

4. File Sharing   -   #24
    Poster BT Rep: +6BT Rep +6
    i think stuff like this sould be removed! and i am not saying this just because i am Israeli
    buy because people should NOT read stuff like this!

5. File Sharing   -   #25
    cocalait's Avatar Yowsa BT Rep: +17BT Rep +17BT Rep +17BT Rep +17
    Quote Originally Posted by imshteam View Post
    i think stuff like this sould be removed! and i am not saying this just because i am Israeli
    with all due respect, who do you think you are to make such a call?

6. File Sharing   -   #26
    Hanz™'s Avatar making the world go BT Rep: +3
    Quote Originally Posted by imshteam View Post
    How on earth would you expect somebody to study 1940s german history without being allowed to read Mein Kampf?!

7. File Sharing   -   #27
    I totally agree...

8. File Sharing   -   #28
    Poster BT Rep: +2
    if you dont know what is wrong? and what is right?, you will never know what you r doing is wrong ?....i meant to do right you need to know what is wrong

"All that is gold does not glitter;all that is long does not last;All that is old does not wither; not all that is over is past..... "

9. File Sharing   -   #29
    Totti's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +21BT Rep +21BT Rep +21BT Rep +21BT Rep +21
    ok im not suggesting to burn books or to start banning literature in general all im saying is that this is a very sensitive subject and was surprised to see something like it show up on a 0day torrent tracker. im not going to ban this tracker because of what some uploader uploaded it just it seemed a little out of the ordinary thats all.....

10. File Sharing   -   #30
    Poster BT Rep: +6BT Rep +6
    but the point is that it's not out of the ordinary. it's a very common book to read and i can't imagine getting through any type of history on the background of WWII and the holocaust without mentioning mein kampf. nazis bruned books in the middle of the street. and although you say that you are not rpomoting book burning that is EXACTLY what you are doing. book burning is done to limit the availability of certain works. you are saying that you feel the availability of mein kampf should be limited. you are entitled to your opinion, i just think it's dead wrong. if you don't like it don't download it. it is a powerful book in history, just because you don't find value in it, does not mean shit.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast