Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: are people really allowed to give their accounts away?

jam0980tr's Avatar jam cakes mmm Lovely
    Quote Originally Posted by Polarbear View Post

if you don't use or like an account anymore, delete it or leave it to be automatically disabled.
    Polarbear i do the same if i don't like it i use that opinion
    Down-Speed Up-Speed
    Proud 2 Be a Member Of 0sec Tmp3

2. BitTorrent   -   #32
    n00b
    no difference in giving/seelling/trading, whether to a friend or a stranger.
    remember, when YOU signed up for teh account, YOU agreed to the site's terms of use/service... if you give the account to someone else, that "someone else" NEVER agreed to the site's rules.

additionally, it's a huge dis-service to the person that invited you to give it away. MOST torrent sites hold the inviter responsible for the actions of the invitee, to a different degree depending on which site/tracker it is. If the person you give the account to ends up doing something stupid, and gets banned, YOUR inviter may be banned as well. Yes, you intend to give it to your best friend that you've known for 10 years, etc, but you'd be surprised what people you THINK you know well will do sometimes. Even relatives.

just PLEASE don't do it. If people are patient, they will eventually get into ANY torrent site they want, it may take years, but they will have gotten in the way THAT particular torrent community wants their members to join.

It's just common decency, if you are a guest in someone's house, you respect their property and don't shit on their sofa. If you join a torrent site, respect their rules. Those rules are part of what made that site what it is today, and if people want in to that site, then the site must be doing SOMETHING right!

edit: @ supper: yes. the whole purpose behind invite systems at torrent sites is that when a new member is invited, that means a trusted member that is already there thinks they are going to be an asset to that torrent community, and if you are simply trading invites with someone, that means you don't really know that person as well as you are supposed to know them... you are in fact taking something that belongs to the site (the invite) and trading it for something that YOU want (an invite to another site)

Many sites will even ban you for simply being a member here @ FST, if they can link your account with them to your account here @ FST.
    Last edited by djkamikaze; 02-25-2008 at 06:40 AM.

3. BitTorrent   -   #33
    Polarbear's Avatar deep funk BT Rep: +5
    Quote Originally Posted by djkamikaze View Post
    it may take years
    don't discourage people. this may sound a little depressing to some. make that a few month at most.

4. BitTorrent   -   #34
    n00b
    if you don't have a seedbox or a high-bandwidth internet connection, it may take you years to get into the highest level trackers, that's why they're so desired. Once you are into your first private tracker, you should consider that you are building your reputation in the wider torrent community. after a few months at one private torrent site, if you have a good ratio, participate in irc or forums, and even upload a torrent or two, you should start to earn a reputation that will make people feel comfortable giving you invites to other private sites; then do the same at those. You'll make some friends, and you'll be on your way.

If you have a seedbox or connection that has 10mbit+ UL, it will happen a lot faster, but in reality, time is what people need to get to trust you. My criteria for giving out invites are
    - how long have you been a member at other torrent sites where I may know you? (I want to see at least 6 months activity to get a good idea of your real torrent habits)
    - what is your ratio there? (0.85 or higher is good enough for me)
    - is that torrent site better or worse because you are there?
    - do you talk in the forums? this gives me the best idea of who you are; do you jump all over noobs that ask a dumb question or do you help people?

anyway, that's about invites, and we're talking more about giving/trading accounts in this thread... I would HOPE that someone I gave an invite too would NEVER consider giving that account away. I would feel betrayed if they did.

5. BitTorrent   -   #35
    DKre8ive1's Avatar L0st N S0und BT Rep: +2
    No accounts should not be traded and I will give you an example below why.

User A is a member of *** torrent site and gets an invite and gives it to user B thinking that he will be a good user.

User B gets the account and finds out that it don't fit his needs so then he trades it to User C for another site.

User C turns around and tries to sell the invite and gets caught and any Ip/nicks/emails that belong to these three users get banned by all sites that network with the site in question to get rid of account sellers and what makes it worse is that User A is innocent bystander and got caught in the crossfire because of User C.

Moral of the story "Don't trade Accounts"

I think I already had posted this somewhere else but this is example is easier to understand I think.

6. BitTorrent   -   #36
    vinhkhang01's Avatar XP BT Rep: +50BT Rep +50BT Rep +50BT Rep +50BT Rep +50BT Rep +50BT Rep +50BT Rep +50BT Rep +50BT Rep +50
    Very good explanation - Account trading is against tracker rules to begin with.

Quote Originally Posted by DKre8ive1 View Post
    No accounts should not be traded and I will give you an example below why.

User A is a member of *** torrent site and gets an invite and gives it to user B thinking that he will be a good user.

User B gets the account and finds out that it don't fit his needs so then he trades it to User C for another site.

User C turns around and tries to sell the invite and gets caught and any Ip/nicks/emails that belong to these three users get banned by all sites that network with the site in question to get rid of account sellers and what makes it worse is that User A is innocent bystander and got caught in the crossfire because of User C.

Moral of the story "Don't trade Accounts"

I think I already had posted this somewhere else but this is example is easier to understand I think.
    *** I Love Sharing & Helping Other People ***

7. BitTorrent   -   #37
    ghurka's Avatar Welsh Bhoy BT Rep: +5
    Anyone who is still not sure whether a tracker allows you to give away your account just check their Terms and Conditions (T & Cs) as it is most likely not in the FAQ or Rules. Most T & Cs are standardised and somewhere in there it will state that the account is for your own personal use and is not transferable.

I would very much doubt if any tracker would allow you to this and if they did who would want to join a site that compromises your security anyway.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234