Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Linux help please!

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by deKoy View Post
    When I type su, it askes me for a password, I enter in the one for the username I created but it says incorrect password.
    You need to enter the root password because you're attempting to access this user's privileges.
    That doesn't work either

2. BitTorrent   -   #12
    Poster BT Rep: +16BT Rep +16BT Rep +16BT Rep +16
    Quote Originally Posted by fisherman View Post
    Hopefully some of the linux guru's can help you out on this, but if your running linux on a server the best thing to do would be to request a re-install to save all the time messing about.

I had a problem similar to this before and I "wasted" hours trying to sort it out and in the end I went for the re-install.

When you get a new server the best security precaution is to right away update the kernel by typing >> yum update kernel, then change the password your provider gave u buy typing passwd and creat some crazy password with lots of @%^:? ect.... and following instructions.

Sorry can't be more help to you and good luck
    That is probably the best option right now.

3. BitTorrent   -   #13
    Ughh, I'll go ahead and do it. Thanks for all the help!

4. BitTorrent   -   #14
    Bunny Hopper BT Rep: +18BT Rep +18BT Rep +18BT Rep +18
    hmm, I think su to root should definitely work. This is such a minor thing to have to re-install for. You sure you put the root password in correctly?

5. BitTorrent   -   #15
    Poster BT Rep: +13BT Rep +13BT Rep +13
    su should definitely work for you, like naq already said. You don't specify the error message you received but you confirmed earlier that the user you login as is allowed to use the command (else you wouldn't even get the wrong password message).

An idea: if you're using a non-English keyboard setup on your PC there may be issues with the layout, like the common z->y on English/German keyboards.

6. BitTorrent   -   #16
    It has already been installed, could someone recommend a guide for security on centos 5? I was having a lot of problems with the other one anyways.

7. BitTorrent   -   #17
    You will want to update to the latest kernel and packages so run "yum update" and restart the linux machine to boot into the new kernel. Afterwards, you want to setup a local user account and give the necessary sudo privileges. This is found in /etc/sudoers. Once that is setup, you should test your sudo abilities with your local user account. That way when you lock down the root account, you will have the ability to run root commands as yourself.

Once all that is done, I would change the root password is something crazy, disable root SSH logins through /etc/ssh/sshd_config but I wouldn't recommend usermod -L or passwd -l.

Another useful tool to install is blockhosts. This is just a python script that gets invoked when people try to login to your machine. It'll block IPs after X amount of tries and send an email to /var/spool/mail informing you of any blocked and watched IPs.

8. BitTorrent   -   #18
    Ok, I'll try that out. I have another question, when I do "yum install vnstat" it says "nothing to do". I am trying to install vnstat, am I doing it correctly?

9. BitTorrent   -   #19
    You can try typing yum search vnstat and see if there are RPM's in CentOS' repository. However, if it isn't there, you should search from the RPM on the net for your distro or just download the source packages for vnstat and compile them if necessary.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12