Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Feedback on my gaming rig please

Detale's Avatar Go Snatch a Judge
    Anything else I need to consider? I have mouse/keyboard/monitor/speakers covered. Do I need heatsink or more fans? I don't plan on OC'ing.[/quote]
    No telling about the stock heatsink...I don't know of anyone who has actually used one.
    Mine is still a virgin, untouched in the Intel box.
    The Wolfdales have funky temp sensors and so far, no one seems to know what temps they are actually running.
    Gotta be cool because the running voltage is pretty low.

You might not plan on overclocking- I didn't either- but it's so damn easy to do you might find yourself tempted.
    Mine bumped from 3GHz to 3.6 with absolutely no changes at all and up to 3.8GHz with only a small voltage change (+.05v).
    It's very seductive...[/quote]

One other thing to add is I had used tohe stock cooling and It seemed fine on my E8400 for all of 10 min not that anything is wrong with it but the temps as clocker said are sketchy at best as of now mine says it's running @ 41 Degrees idle which I know cannot be the case. One thing to noticew though is that the stock fan is about 1/2 the hight of older stock intel CPU cooler fans dont know why but the thing looks like a toy if you have some extra dough get a Zalman or even my personal Zalman rip off the Blue Orb II

2. Software & Hardware   -   #12
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    Quote Originally Posted by Detale View Post
    One thing to noticew though is that the stock fan is about 1/2 the hight of older stock intel CPU cooler fans dont know why but the thing looks like a toy if you have some extra dough get a Zalman or even my personal Zalman rip off the Blue Orb II
    It's smaller because Intel is convinced it doesn't have to deal with the heat loads of the earlier chips...and they're probably right.

I don't think I'd get either of the sinks you linked, Detale...for comparable money there are more advanced units available.
    @quiksilver...is budget a concern?
    You can always run the stocker and upgrade later if necessary.
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

3. Software & Hardware   -   #13
    Poster BT Rep: +11BT Rep +11BT Rep +11
    Corsair PSU are GREAT! (Read the reviews on them)

Jonnyguru is one of the best PSU review sites:

http://www.jonnyguru.com

http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/ProductList3.jsp

http://www.corsair.com/products/power_supplies.aspx
    Last edited by DasFox; 02-29-2008 at 05:02 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

4. Software & Hardware   -   #14
    Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by clocker View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Detale View Post
    One thing to noticew though is that the stock fan is about 1/2 the hight of older stock intel CPU cooler fans dont know why but the thing looks like a toy if you have some extra dough get a Zalman or even my personal Zalman rip off the Blue Orb II
    It's smaller because Intel is convinced it doesn't have to deal with the heat loads of the earlier chips...and they're probably right.

I don't think I'd get either of the sinks you linked, Detale...for comparable money there are more advanced units available.
    @quiksilver...is budget a concern?
    You can always run the stocker and upgrade later if necessary.
    I'm sitting at about $1500 parts right now, which is about where I wanted to be. I wouldn't want to risk long-term damage to my new E8400, so if you are both convinced the stock fan won't do then an extra $30-50 I can deal with.

You have to get glue to install it right? Or is that included in most heatsinks?

5. Software & Hardware   -   #15
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    Quote Originally Posted by quiksilver_aus View Post
    I wouldn't want to risk long-term damage to my new E8400, so if you are both convinced the stock fan won't do then an extra $30-50 I can deal with.

You have to get glue to install it right? Or is that included in most heatsinks?
    I doubt you're risking anything by using the supplied heatsink but, never having used it myself, I'm not "convinced" either way.
    The uncertainty is compounded by the CPU's unreliable temp reporting.

Typically, I would go for an upgraded sink just out of habit.
    Look here for some ideas.

A word of warning...
    I consider the stock Intel pushpin retention system to be a disaster- it's very easy to install improperly, so no matter what sink you use, install it before putting the board in the case.
    That way you can confirm it's fully seated by checking the back side of the board.

And yes, you will need some thermal paste.
    Most sinks either come with a tube or it's already pre-applied (like the Intel) but it doesn't hurt to have some on hand anyway.
    Arctic Silver 5 or Ceramique (what I use) is a popular brand but lately there are others that seem even better which I have yet to try.
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

6. Software & Hardware   -   #16
    Poster
    Wow, couldn't believe how poorly the stock Intel fan performed in comparison. I'll be going with the Thermaltake. Hopefully I will have gathered all the parts by next week and I'll post some pics. Thanks

7. Software & Hardware   -   #17
    Poster BT Rep: +1
    Why are you getting an E8400? Why not get a QX6600 or a similary quad core? They're all pretty good overclockers.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #18
    whip22's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +23BT Rep +23BT Rep +23BT Rep +23BT Rep +23
    In terms of PSU, i dno if u still need this info (i didn't read the above posts), i have a tigerdirect psu (ultra is the brand; went on sale) and i am happy so far. Quiet and does the job. I have a 600W just to run my not the best computer, so i would suggest a 7000W to 1000W ultra psu. Lifetime warranty so yep. ultra has my vote.

9. Software & Hardware   -   #19
    Poster
    YAAAAAAAAAAY!! It booted first time! The sound of that beep was so orgasmic. The only thing is that I can't do anything with it til Monday because the snow storm here delayed my shipment of Vista.

10. Software & Hardware   -   #20
    necromantic's Avatar ♫ ♪ ♪ ♫ ♪ ♫ ♫ ♪ ♫ ♪ BT Rep: +15BT Rep +15BT Rep +15
    Quote Originally Posted by quiksilver_aus View Post
    I'm sitting at about $1500 parts right now, which is about where I wanted to be.
    Man that's a lot of scratch to play vid games. You know you can pick up a 360 Elite or a PS3 for around $450.

I just saw you put it together and it posted, Congrats! It should be a beast. We're gonna need some benchmark screenshots you know

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast