Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Is Partial Seeding Cheating?

stoi's Avatar BCG Owner BT Rep: +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45
    well over on BCG we cant win, we bring in the SP system to help everyone keep a 1:1 ratio, then we get complaints that its impossible (or very hard) to get to the 1.5 ratio for PU lol

we have got some changes planned though, just havnt a clue when they are going to be done, with the server move and everything else thats going on atm.

2. BitTorrent   -   #22
    BlueLabel's Avatar everybody jump BT Rep: +65BT Rep +65BT Rep +65BT Rep +65BT Rep +65BT Rep +65BT Rep +65BT Rep +65BT Rep +65BT Rep +65BT Rep +65BT Rep +65BT Rep +65
    why not doing converting SP system??
    members will seed and grab some SP and they will choose what they want to exchange it for like some x giga upload, req, invite (if open).
    in that way they can rerach to PU.
    TTi has converting system and it rocks

3. BitTorrent   -   #23
    stoi's Avatar BCG Owner BT Rep: +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45
    Because they are to easy to exploit.

i wont give anyone any ideas on how to exploit any system, but if you run a tracker you have to think of the exploiters and the chancers, so you take that away from them.

ive been in this a long time, and if you give someone a yard they will take a mile.

4. BitTorrent   -   #24
    BlueLabel's Avatar everybody jump BT Rep: +65BT Rep +65BT Rep +65BT Rep +65BT Rep +65BT Rep +65BT Rep +65BT Rep +65BT Rep +65BT Rep +65BT Rep +65BT Rep +65BT Rep +65
    well if you say so
    I never ran a tracker so you know better then me for sure
    Last edited by BlueLabel; 03-25-2008 at 10:57 PM.

5. BitTorrent   -   #25
    Poster BT Rep: +4
    Partial Seeding is fine on most trackers, unless they have some Seed Bonus system which get interferes from it, ie BCG. However, there are some trackers which disallow it altogether like TB :\

6. BitTorrent   -   #26
    Long John Silver
    Quote Originally Posted by TP635 View Post
    I do it all the time. When I want to dl a large file and have not enough buffer I will dl just enough to not eat up the buffer. Then I seed until I have enough buffer to dl again.
    Correct and +1 - my HD is only 30 plus a 250 that's always 89-99% full!

7. BitTorrent   -   #27
    Sanka113's Avatar Bobsled King BT Rep: +25BT Rep +25BT Rep +25BT Rep +25BT Rep +25
    Cheating, is a poor word choice, as you are seeding back real data. Cheating would entail "seeding" back fake data. Partial seeding is very beneficial to those who are new, don't have alot of buffer, lack hard drive space, or simply don't want the whole pack.

The one thing i don't like about partial seeding is that it's hard to differentiate them from true leechers. If your not careful, you end up dl a masssive torrent thinking that you can seed it back easily since it has so many leechers. But, in reality there all partial seeders. Partial seeding can be a gift and a curse.
    See ya in another life, brother.

8. BitTorrent   -   #28
    BANNED BT Rep: +25BT Rep +25BT Rep +25BT Rep +25BT Rep +25
    I never partial seed. I just jump on the right torrents even if I don't really want them to build up my ratio in the first few weeks on a new tracker.

9. BitTorrent   -   #29
    BANNED BT Rep: +20BT Rep +20BT Rep +20BT Rep +20
    No,I only partial seed when necessary.

Here is my theory about Partial seeding..

"You may partial seed only when you need it and only to a certain extent."

When people go crazy and buffer their accounts hundreds of gigs when they already have a decent speed and buffer it is unfair in my opinion. I only partial seed in low ratio situations...

10. BitTorrent   -   #30
    colbert's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +1
    As everyone else has already said, partial seeding is NOT cheating. After all, you are uploading legitimate data. I can tell from ScT that it is a legitimate strategy for people with small pipes to help build ratio.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast