Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: are wait times for new users really a good policy?

BANNED BT Rep: +25BT Rep +25BT Rep +25BT Rep +25BT Rep +25
    Quote Originally Posted by TidusBlade View Post
    I don't mind it, but I think it should be only for low ratios. Many times I go to a new tracker and end up either having to upload something of my own if I can, or download the torrent from somewhere else and seed it there or download some week old torrent that will take me weeks to seed back, and new users haven't done anything bad...
    Exactly! I feel like its such a pain in the ass. I could easily seed a torrent I've grabbed elsewhere to build a ratio, but you can't even do that during the wait time. I could just grab one torrent and seed it back to build up a nice buffer, helping the swarm, but no, because admins are iffy about brand new users who might leech a few GBs and never seed it back.

2. BitTorrent   -   #12
    J-dye's Avatar BANNED BT Rep: +1
    wait times =

3. BitTorrent   -   #13
    Wait time should be replaced with 5gig upload credit for new members.

U2VjdGlvbjQ3

4. BitTorrent   -   #14
    lysine's Avatar 49311 BT Rep: +1
    Quote Originally Posted by soulreaper View Post
    Wait times for new users have been put into place so that they can get some donations going

that's the way I've always viewed wait times. if you donate they go away.

5. BitTorrent   -   #15
    Poster
    Wait times suck. Only makes ratio building for new users harder, since new torrents have the most leechers, and by the wait times are gone, there are no leechers..

6. BitTorrent   -   #16
    IdolEyes787's Avatar Persona non grata
    Wait times can both be used as a test to determine new members commitment and to extort money.
    Depends on the tracker and also how you view the situation I suppose.
    I do agree that it can be unfairly penalizing people with less than stellar speeds.

7. BitTorrent   -   #17
    SgtMajor's Avatar Shut up u Lovely Boi BT Rep: +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100
    If you know what a torrent is then wait times times are an annoying inconvenience.

If you have no idea what a torrent is, then wait times make you learn what a torrent is and what a tracker is all about, saves n00bs being penalised and prevents them just downloading everything they see and ensures they only download what they need.

Bottom line, if you are here at FST you know what a torrent is, so the weight of opinion will say wait times are a waste of our time, if you don't know what a torrent is you won't be reading this.
    Yes Sir, I'm Right On It!!

8. BitTorrent   -   #18
    Shno's Avatar BT addict BT Rep: +11BT Rep +11BT Rep +11
    Wait times are bogus. My upload is severely throttled, so I rarely use sites with wait times. I always seed back what I leech, but unless it's a torrent with tons of leechers (aka. new torrents) it takes forever.

9. BitTorrent   -   #19
    Wait times are gehy !

10. BitTorrent   -   #20
    fOrUmAs's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +75BT Rep +75BT Rep +75BT Rep +75BT Rep +75BT Rep +75BT Rep +75BT Rep +75BT Rep +75BT Rep +75BT Rep +75BT Rep +75BT Rep +75BT Rep +75BT Rep +75
    Quote Originally Posted by bubucea View Post
    It's a bad ideea !No reason...
    No i think its very good idea

wait times will be removed even if u are not PU or something like than,just keep good ratio and upload more than 10 GB or even more and wait times will be removed...

and its also good if someone have bad ratio ect ect..

so after all wait times are not the problem at all,if u are good user then u will only see it at the head

http://www.downforeveryoneorjustme.com/

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast