Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: are wait times for new users really a good policy?

grimms's Avatar Excuse Me? BT Rep: +16BT Rep +16BT Rep +16BT Rep +16
    I think it's useful. It gives members time to read the rules and get familiar with the tracker.

Excuse Me?
    Didn't Think So!

2. BitTorrent   -   #22
    stoi's Avatar BCG Owner BT Rep: +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45
    I hate wait times, and will never have them on my tracker.

I just think they are counter productive on a closed private tracker (even on an open private tracker).

lets take bcg for example. we dont have wait times but lets say we did.

New user gets invited, new 360 game gets uploaded, in 12 hours its already got 1000 seeds and 1000 leechers.

we make them wait 36-72 hours before they can even download the thing.

the seed/leech ratio changes to 2000 seeds, 100 leechers.

Making it even harder for the new user to get a good ratio, because of the lack of leechers on the torrent and to many seeders.

Obviously we have the SP mod, so they will always get a 1 ratio regardless, as long as they stay on the torrent for awhile, but i still hate wait times with a passion.

I remember joining bitconsole, they had them for new users, i just thought, feck that and made my own tracker lol (some would have just went elsewhere, i actually created my own), i just hate them and they dont help the new user, or even a user with low ratio. if anything, it makes it twice as bad for them.

3. BitTorrent   -   #23
    BANNED BT Rep: +25BT Rep +25BT Rep +25BT Rep +25BT Rep +25
    Quote Originally Posted by stoi View Post
    I hate wait times, and will never have them on my tracker.

I just think they are counter productive on a closed private tracker (even on an open private tracker).

lets take bcg for example. we dont have wait times but lets say we did.

New user gets invited, new 360 game gets uploaded, in 12 hours its already got 1000 seeds and 1000 leechers.

we make them wait 36-72 hours before they can even download the thing.

the seed/leech ratio changes to 2000 seeds, 100 leechers.

Making it even harder for the new user to get a good ratio, because of the lack of leechers on the torrent and to many seeders.

Obviously we have the SP mod, so they will always get a 1 ratio regardless, as long as they stay on the torrent for awhile, but i still hate wait times with a passion.

I remember joining bitconsole, they had them for new users, i just thought, feck that and made my own tracker lol (some would have just went elsewhere, i actually created my own), i just hate them and they dont help the new user, or even a user with low ratio. if anything, it makes it twice as bad for them.
    That's exactly what I've realized, so I'm glad at least one admin agrees with me.

It seems like wait times are the cause of people getting banned for low ratios, because they have to download something and now they are in a ratio hole they are unlikely to ever get out of in time.

And Sgt makes a valid point about the fact that some people don't really know what torrents are all about, which is the primary reason wait times are implemented mainly by rather open trackers.

4. BitTorrent   -   #24
    stoi's Avatar BCG Owner BT Rep: +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45
    well we let them download 4 torrents if they fall below a .4 ratio they cant download again, all they can do is seed what they have, once they get out of the mess they find themselves in, this gets lifted, but hopefully by then they have read the rules/faq.

But at least it lets them download something thats brand new and get a ratio on it if they put their mind to it, if all they are there for is to leech, then they dont last to long.

and btw a donation does not lift this.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123