Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Men more likely to die of broken heart

Squeamous's Avatar Poster
    Sorry

2. Lounge   -   #12
    Snee's Avatar Error xɐʇuʎs BT Rep: +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Squeamous View Post
    They're also more likely to take their kids to their graves with them when they get dumped. This is on account of them being more prone to ego-driven acts of irrationality. When it comes to emotional susceptibility to external influence I think they're the weaker sex.
    I blame society. Seriously.

In the schools I went to as I grew up, you were in serious fucking trouble if you showed much emotion, like, and in even more trouble if you pointed out that whatever the fuck someone did to you wasn't all that fun.

You were supposed to be all like "Oh, you set me hand on fire using hairspray [ ] and some matches while your mates held me down. How rare, haha". If you didn't bottle it all up, they'd set something else on fire, like. And heaven forbid you should tell anyone about it, like.

Always felt like shit telling my parents about that kind of thing too, 'cos I could tell they were worried I couldn't make it in the real world 'cos I was too sensitive, or so I thought.

When I was around 18 I'd been suppressing my feelings to the point where I didn't feel strongly about much at all, and that lasted until I was 20-ish.

I had a bit of a breakdown, eventually, and a change of personality, like. But if I'd kept on being that way, I can totally see myself going mental 'cos I couldn't handle a breakup or whatever.

I reckon it had been acceptable in a whole other way to feel bad about whatever, had I been a girl, like. It's still a fact that men really can't allow themselves to feel the same way women can, or to discuss their feelings the same way women take for granted, and still fit in. Not always and everywhere, anyway.

3. Lounge   -   #13
    It's exactly the same for girls Snee. Girls suffer probably more mental torture from other girls than boys do as well as the physical violence, and yet the rates of suicide in young males are much higher than females and have been going up despite being touchy feely about emotions becoming more and more acceptable.

I think the male psyche just has a hard time dealing with the modern world.

4. Lounge   -   #14
    Quote Originally Posted by Squeamous View Post
    It's exactly the same for girls Snee. Girls suffer probably more mental torture from other girls than boys do as well as the physical violence, and yet the rates of suicide in young males are much higher than females and have been going up despite being touchy feely about emotions becoming more and more acceptable.

I think the male psyche just has a hard time dealing with the modern world.

It's my impression that girls have an easier time coping with the bad stuff 'cos it's acceptable for them to deal with their feelings in ways that'd get a bloke called a sissy, even from a very tender age, like, and that that leads to a pattern of behaviour with regards to dealing with your own feelings that is much healthier in the long run.

Having never actually been a girl, like, I can't say for certain, though.

Might just be that we're behind, like, as you say Could be all the testosterone, I suppose.

5. Lounge   -   #15
    Alien5's Avatar μετά BT Rep: +6BT Rep +6
    i think its got a lot to do with the fact that girls chat a lot more (thousands of words per day)compared to boys. boys bottle up their feelings, that makes them depressed.
    Last edited by Alien5; 04-06-2008 at 11:17 PM.

6. Lounge   -   #16
    You're right about the mental torture, though. Girls can be harsh to the max. They make for easier targets too, 'cos of all that crap about how they have to look, and so forth.

And the psychological terror was always worse than the physical, far as I remember.

7. Lounge   -   #17
    Quote Originally Posted by Alien5 View Post
    i think its got a lot to do with the fact that girls chat a lot more (thousands of words per day)compared to boys. boys bottle up their feelings, that makes them depressed.
    Actually studies show men speak as much as women, it's just that women know more words .

8. Lounge   -   #18
    Quote Originally Posted by Snee View Post

It's my impression that girls have an easier time coping with the bad stuff 'cos it's acceptable for them to deal with their feelings in ways that'd get a bloke called a sissy, even from a very tender age, like, and that that leads to a pattern of behaviour with regards to dealing with your own feelings that is much healthier in the long run.

Having never actually been a girl, like, I can't say for certain, though.

Might just be that we're behind, like, as you say Could be all the testosterone, I suppose.
    Yeah, but that doesn't explain why suicide rates in men are rising despite them being more encouraged than ever to show their feelings.

9. Lounge   -   #19
    Oh that's easy.

Those guise are idiots, like.

10. Lounge   -   #20
    Alien5's Avatar μετά BT Rep: +6BT Rep +6
    the average woman works her way through 20,000 words per day, compared with just 7,000 for the average bloke.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2006/11...hat_addiction/

us blokes havent got time to talk, were always thinking about japan or something else.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast