Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 1234512 ... LastLast

Thread: Rarred or Unrarred?

spidey99's Avatar Nolaloth BT Rep: +1
    also, when you download a rared content and somehow it gets damaged, you only need to redownload the damaged ones.otherwise, you would have to download the whole thing from the beginning.
    another point, i burn the huge contents, like games sizing 8 gbs in the rar format and divide them into 2 dvds, it is practical...

2. BitTorrent   -   #12
    NON TRADER BT Rep: +13BT Rep +13BT Rep +13
    Quote Originally Posted by midnightalker View Post
    I really don't understand why do you RAR the files..Can someone please explain a little bit more than what sabre said?
    And no matter whats the deal, I don't like RARs either.

it's the scene standard.. meaning this is the way its been done for a while.. the reasoning behind it, is to take full advantage of the bittorrent protocols. if you understand bittorrent at all, it simultaneously takes and transfers pieces of the torrent at once... by doing this it allows for a faster transfer of many files versus a transfer of a single file. and thats what sabre was talking about when he says faster speeds, pre-times and what knot

i know i didn't word it 100% correctly.... but thats the basic idea..
    TRADING SUCKS DEAL WITH IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

3. BitTorrent   -   #13
    stoi's Avatar BCG Owner BT Rep: +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45
    well i dont think it has anything to do with bittorrent tbh, im pretty sure the scene released this way before bittorrent was ever thought of, never mind released (i could be wrong though we are going back a few years)

Its because of FTP, and runners. (i think)

Lets say you have 1 huge file, you would have to transfer that 1 big file via FTP in full before you can send it to someone else.

But because its split up, you can download everything, and someone else can then grab parts 1-10 while your downloading part 11-30 and so on.

so it means its faster to spread around on the FTP networks.

another reason is Usenet does not allow files over 100meg (or did not use to) so if you wanted your release to spread to Usenet, then you had to multi rar it, and which is where par files comes in.

As for bittorrent, its got an ok error protection on it, but the problem is, it is not 100% infallable, just 2 weeks ago we seen an uploader upload a torrent, it unrared great on his PC, but all the downloaders, could not get it to extract at all. so he had to upload part 23 again and they snatched it again and as far as im aware it worked.

Also you have to think, that if that was an ISO, you would not know it was busted until you burnt it and tried to play it, so you have to waste a disc. this way if it doesnt unrar you know its fecked and to try to download the bit that is fecked again.

Its just a lot more practical with any errors that we may come accross, than single files.

4. BitTorrent   -   #14
    BANNED BT Rep: +5
    because scne use rars~~
    and i accepted
    rar can be easily part seed~~

5. BitTorrent   -   #15
    Polarbear's Avatar deep funk BT Rep: +5
    rar files have absolutely nothing to do with bittorrent or an advantage for the bittorrent protocol. bittorrent splits any file in chunks. no matter whether it's rared or not.

the changes in file size are marginal to nothing, especially with movies.

it's a ftp scene relict. that's all.

6. BitTorrent   -   #16
    the main reason the scene rar's is because if you have a 700MB file, only one person can upload the file to a FTP. But if you have 50 files of 14MB then you can have multiple people uploading different parts of the file at once which makes it faster to distribute the file around.

It also allows partial seeding on bit torrent as someone mentioned

7. BitTorrent   -   #17
    I'm staff,kiss m ass BT Rep: +1
    Basically I hate rar'ed torrents,
    I would need 2x the space as I can't delete rar files while seeding.

It's only useful if you want to seed releases across other trackers,
    or if you want to buffer your account by only downloading some of the splitarchives.

And yes, it's from the scene standards.
    They split the files into 15 MB RAR or something,
    this is more handy for transferring big files over FTP.

8. BitTorrent   -   #18
    Mostly civil BT Rep: +3
    I hate rarred files because of CRC errors and redownloading them isn't exactly fun. I don't give a shit about pretimes so unrrared for me definetely.

9. BitTorrent   -   #19
    mbucari1's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35
    Quote Originally Posted by stupidcrab View Post
    A unrared content is easy to view for yourself
    But it is not easy to share.(small file transported faster)

That's why compression method are always needed.
    It saves the bandwidth(even sometimes rared content have similar size even bigger)

I love rared content , it saves my hd space and I can download more. That's the reason
    I think your user name is rather fitting.

Yes, smaller files transport faster. However, if you look at the compression of any video, music or games, there's practically none! The only place you'll get any decent compression is with apps and text.

And when you extract the content, you're almost doubling the space taken up on your HDD.

In case anyone can't tell, I don't like rars.

10. BitTorrent   -   #20
    stoi's Avatar BCG Owner BT Rep: +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45
    well you can partial seed any file on bittorrent, download 300 meg or so, set your download to 1KBs, upload at whatever and your partial seeding.

I hate partial seeding, whats the point in downloading something if you dont want it.

and if gives a false impression to others that do want it.

10 seeders 100 leechers, ok i want this file and i can get a good ratio on it, they jump on, dl the lot, but those 100 leechers are partial seeders, they can never get back to a 1:1 ratio, so they get dumped on.

and imagine downloading a 10 gig Blu-Ray .mkv file. it downloaded ok, it even starts to play ok, but after 50 minutes it crashes, and every time you try it, it crashes. you would have to redownload that entire 10 gig file again.

but if 1 rar out of 100 is corrupt, just delete the rar and re-download that 1 rar, if it still corrupt, the uploader can reupload, only that 1 rar, you can grab it and hopefully 99 times out of 100 it will fix the problem.

Ok i admit, you dont get all that many corrupt downloads in bittorrent, but the fact is, it does still happen occasionally, so thats why i prefer rars.

I wont touch a 1 file torrent. I will go for rars 100% of the time.

Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 1234512 ... LastLast