Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Peer Guardian-Blocklist etc.

Funkin''s Avatar home skillet BT Rep: +4
    Quote Originally Posted by SgtMajor View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by IdolEyes787 View Post
    Peerguardian can save you some grief on public trackers but on private ones I don't think it's of any value.
    It's certainly of value on TL.
    I'm sure that is true. I barely even leech from TL anymore because I"m so paranoid.

I was going to make a new thread about this, but I guess I'll just ask here. Along with PG2, are IP Filters any good? I've been told that they do absolutely no good, and doesn't really need to be used with uTorrent. What are your guys' taking on this?

And if anyone knows of a good IP Filter, than please post it. I was using one that I found at RevTT, but my uTorrent ended up corrupting so I wiped everything out, and forgot to save it.

2. BitTorrent   -   #12
    respawn40's Avatar Phoenix Wright :D BT Rep: +2
    I use Peerguardian because it makes me feel better. I don't care if it is snake oil; it still makes me feel better.

I am a exsellent speller and I use grammer very good.

3. BitTorrent   -   #13
    kondrae's Avatar Trance BT Rep: +19BT Rep +19BT Rep +19BT Rep +19
    Quote Originally Posted by Tanuki View Post
    Peer Guardian useful? Don't know, but try to see the situation from your opponents side. Would you be able to circumvent this protection? Suppose you are a company with substantial funds. Would you sit in your assigned ip range, which is blocked by every user almost by default and wonder if there is p2p traffic at all because you see none?
    True, but the ip ban lists get updated. I read, cant remember where, that mediadefender was buying so many ip ranges because of ip bans that they at one point couldnt buy any more because of money/other-restrictions. cant remember exactly

Skitt's Law: "any post correcting an error in another post will contain at least one error itself"

4. BitTorrent   -   #14
    Tanuki's Avatar Poster

Question Mark

kondrae, what I don't understand at all is, why renting ip ranges at all? If I were mediadefender, I would not rent a single ip range, which would be worthless within days. I would try to get normal users accesses with Comcast, Earthlink, AOL, whatever. The two or three largest internet providers in each country. I would want to have the same dynamic ip addresses normal customers get. And I suppose even this is cheaper than buying one ip range after another. And what will Peer Guardian users do then? Block all Comcast? All Earthlink? AOL? Mission accomplished. Remaining filesharing negligible.

5. BitTorrent   -   #15
    kondrae's Avatar Trance BT Rep: +19BT Rep +19BT Rep +19BT Rep +19
    They're not that smart. I know they were thinking of using empoyee's home connections to spy. dont know if they ever got to doing it

Skitt's Law: "any post correcting an error in another post will contain at least one error itself"

6. BitTorrent   -   #16
    bblogs's Avatar Damn Straight. BT Rep: +10BT Rep +10
    It may work on big trackers, but I'd say you'll be sacrificing peers. It all comes down to what you value the most, peers vs. saftey.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12