Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Probs with Security Suites: NOD32 and Avira

Guillaume's Avatar Kentish old lady BT Rep: +8BT Rep +8
    Can't you just disable the corresponding services in services.msc and re-enable them once you've done whatever you're doing?

2. Software & Hardware   -   #12
    lynx's Avatar .
    Quote Originally Posted by cool skill View Post
    I agree that it is important to set security to stay on by default. But the default should be the option of the user. Only low level users have no need to shut off security apps, so I guess they just leave that option out. Those who do tweaking, troubleshooting, development, and more advanced computing sometimes need to shut down all running apps including security.

I will consider KIS. I've decided to stick with Avira PSS for now. It seems to be working well without interfering with installations or anything. Avira does prevent me from setting up a static IP, but that is not an issue regearding its inability to shut down. I need my static IP working while my security suite is running.

Quote Originally Posted by lynx View Post
    Fine, have it your own way.

All these stupid security suite suppliers didn't reckon on someone of your intellect coming along and figuring out their little game.
    What little game are you talking about?
    You made the claim that it is pointless to have security software installed if you are going to shut it down anyway when you are doing troubleshooting.

There are times when troubleshooting a computer, it is necessary to shut off any running security apps and other running apps. Learn a little about computer repair.
    Oops, sorry, but you said you wanted to be able to turn it off, not disable it temporarily for troubleshooting.

My fault for answering what you wrote instead of using telepathy to work out that you meant something else completely.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #13
    You did not read it wrong. The point is to be able to turn it off completely. Not just disabling it.
    -Turn it completely off.
    -Ability to shutdown/restart computer without it running
    -No processes or anything running in the background related to it while it is shut off.

Basically the ability to open it and close it just like any program. And the ability to set it to launch or to not launch automatically during startup.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #14
    lynx's Avatar .
    Feck, it's just like politics.

I refer the member to the answer I gave earlier.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #15
    Chewie's Avatar Chew E. Bakke
    Quote Originally Posted by cool skill View Post
    You did not read it wrong. The point is to be able to turn it off completely. Not just disabling it.
    -Turn it completely off.
    -Ability to shutdown/restart computer without it running
    -No processes or anything running in the background related to it while it is shut off.

Basically the ability to open it and close it just like any program. And the ability to set it to launch or to not launch automatically during startup.
    Perhaps you should go for a pure and simple AV since the firewall aspect of security suites will install drivers that might affect your computer twiddling.
    There isn't a bargepole long enough for me to work on [a Sony Viao] - clocker 2008

6. Software & Hardware   -   #16
    It's not that much twiddling. I'm no expert so I don't see how drivers would affect anything. Most of the time, I just download trial softwares, and test them out. Then find cracks if I need to crack them. I try to share as much of my stuff as possible after ensuring it works perfectly. Photoshop has probably been the most problematic major software, but that's another story. Adobe can be scary. I don't bother with their A/V stuff anymore. Especially since Avid is way better than Premier. The last time I tested Premier was last year when I started warning everybody that the trial version does not have all of the features of the full version even if you crack it. Alot of the Premier torrents being shared were not the real full version, but cracked trial versions. Unlike stuff like autocad and most good stuff in which you can crack the trial to be full. Anyway, I just drank a canister of coffee, so I forgot what I was talk about. Just running my mouth/keyboard right now. Peace!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12