Page 43 of 53 FirstFirst ... 3340414243444546 ... LastLast

Thread: Water cooled setup

Snee's Avatar Error xɐʇuʎs BT Rep: +1
    Bit off-track this, but how do you like your s-flexes, and do you have any idea how they compare to GTs?

Swapped out all my noctuas for some GT 1450s, chasing a better noise:cfm-ratio, and was wondering if there's an advantage to using yours instead.

I heard somewhere they might do better lying down.
    Last edited by Snee; 01-16-2010 at 05:33 PM.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #422
    Detale's Avatar Go Snatch a Judge
    I love the S-flex fans, quiet easy to clean and push a good amount of air. I still have the original ones I started with and they still work fine. I have one laying down I couldn't tell if it performs better or not though. I've never had GT fans at all so I haven't a clue on them. I did get a few of these ENERMAX MAGMA for the g5 buildand I have read RAVE reviews for the enermax cluster series fans. These new Enermax apollish fans seem to have even better specs that the cluster ones.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #423
    Mine, or the 1850s generally turn up as one out of two recommended buys in tests, can't remember what the other kind is. Sharkoons, probably.

Thanks for the tip on the Enermaxes, though, I'll keep an eye out.

Hereabouts, most of the time, there's not much to choose from. Crappy transparent akasas or sunbeams, too low rpm nexus ones, noctua flxs, or fractal designs (also too low rpm). Was pretty chuffed just finding the Gentle Typhoons. Found some S-Flexs after at the same place, but I figure I'll see if the GTs make a lot of noise (thus far that's not been a problem) or give me any issues, if they do, the S-Flexes are a contender, then.

One minor annoyance is that the GTs pretty much keep a consistent decibel level all the way from 5v to 12v. Played me a low note at max, but other than that, they don't change much. The noctuas went from nothing to a bit of a whoosh.

This isn't really a problem, per se, but I like cranking up the controller to max and hearing them work

4. Software & Hardware   -   #424
    Oh dude I don't know what I was thinking yesterday. I had 2 GT's in my tj07 build 92mm. Yeah they were good also, not much difference really between t hem and the Sflex's. I never really had much success with the fan controller anyway. My kids just loooove the dials and constantly turn them off. And OC I only notice when my computer Bsods from t he lack of airflow. Recently its been a water drop hitting it and frying one of the channels so I'm down to 3.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #425
    Well it seems just recently I finished my previous build

Anyway, after the leak I just couldn't throw in another XSPC res (3rd one). So I went with the EK spin bay res in black I love the way it looks so far. Now I happened across some money for a new build and I got myself a new 1156 system. I went with the core I7 (1156) CPU and the EVGA P55 FTW SLI 132-LF-E657-KR Mobo and 8 gigs of Dominator Ram Damn sexy looking.

Mobo:

Now a problem that I noticed after I got it home was that there are only 6 SATA ports This means I need a recommendation on a decent SATA controller please.

So you'll have to forgive the crappy pics as I only had my camera phone as I can't find the camera again(kids) so these will have to do for now.

EK spin res

The board did come with an additional piece that I have no idea what it is for

It has an odd sized ribbon cable that connects to the board here

Now I imagine it's some kind of controller but it's purpose is no where in the manual. Only where to plug it in. I haven't really tried to track down what it does yet.

Now you'll notice in some of the pics that the mobo has mounting holes for BOTH lga 775 and 1156 CPU cooling solutions! The problem is that the behing the CPU is a block for the Chip mount that prevents the original 775 mounting for my Apogee GTZ from being useable. I have to order the new improved model which is shaped like a rectangle. But for that I will just order the newer universal mounting kit.The difference is subtle but there.

So I need the one with the elongated holes.

I also got some new Enzotech compression fittings. Damn cheap on newegg $5 each compared to $13+ everywhere else for BP or koolance ones.

Yeah I will try and find the camera and take some better shots tonight
    Last edited by Detale; 02-05-2010 at 12:01 AM.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #426
    Well no camera yet, still MIA. I did order the propper hold down and backplate so I have to wait for that to get here now damnit! Also I ordered the EK White pump top to snazz things up since you'll see the pumps now. also I painted the pump bottoms white.

Also I may need some more sleeving before I am done. We'll see

7. Software & Hardware   -   #427
    Quote Originally Posted by Detale View Post
    The board did come with an additional piece that I have no idea what it is for

It has an odd sized ribbon cable that connects to the board here

Now I imagine it's some kind of controller but it's purpose is no where in the manual. Only where to plug it in. I haven't really tried to track down what it does yet.
    It's called ECP v2. It's used for overclocking.

I have something similar on my asus RIIE, (not an addon, though, the buttons are directly on the mobo) but I've never used it. AFAIK it changes the same settings you do through your BIOS otherwise, with less information to work with

8. Software & Hardware   -   #428
    I have the same buttons on the Mobo as well but I have to research their exact doings so I don't blow anything up.

9. Software & Hardware   -   #429
    I finally got the pump tops I have been waiting for but I'm still waiting on some other goodies. Some updated pics

The EK res

The pumps with the tops on.

I used a small 1/4" round aluminum "dowel" I have dubbed the Clocker special to brace the tubing out enough so I can hang it there to cut down on vibration.

Also i think I am going to throw the multi option up top there and see what I can come up with

I'm thinking it will line up pretty well

Got the Ek spin in as well. think looks good in this case

10. Software & Hardware   -   #430
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    Why would you want/need a second rez?
    Looks like a big air trap up there to me.
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

Page 43 of 53 FirstFirst ... 3340414243444546 ... LastLast