Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: It Beggers Belief

JPaul's Avatar Fat Secret Agent
    The Commitments (1991)

Jimmy Rabbitte: Do you not get it, lads? The Irish are the blacks of Europe. And Dubliners are the blacks of Ireland. And the Northside Dubliners are the blacks of Dublin. So say it once, say it loud: I'm black and I'm proud.

Dean Fay: I'm black and I'm proud.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0101605/quotes

2. Lounge   -   #32
    CrabGirl's Avatar Sexpest
    You called me??
    This pump dispenses gasoline, a fossil fuel. People who believe fossils are not real should put something else in their tanks.

3. Lounge   -   #33
    Hi Dean

4. Lounge   -   #34
    Sam?
    This pump dispenses gasoline, a fossil fuel. People who believe fossils are not real should put something else in their tanks.

5. Lounge   -   #35
    Sam?

6. Lounge   -   #36
    Sammy???/

7. Lounge   -   #37
    brotherdoobie's Avatar Long live Hissyfit BT Rep: +1
    Quote Originally Posted by JPaul View Post
    The story is that during the first world war the Republicans agreed to help the British. They were made certain promises that once the war was won they would be given things. At the end of the war the promises weren't kept. The British government reneged.

When the second World war started the British asked for help again and they were told to feck off. That's actually where "huns" comes from. The rangers fans originally called the Celtic fans huns, because of the help they provided the Germans (huns). "Go home ya huns" was actually aimed at the Irish Catholics. I have no idea how or when it was changed around.

This is all from stories i have heard, it may be pish. Anyone who wants to correct me is free to do so. Chavis, thoughts or ameliorations.

Thanks for that, JP. So...Chalice is there any merit to these stories. Did the Irish provide aid to the Krauts?

-bd

8. Lounge   -   #38
    chalice's Avatar ____________________
    Loads of Irishmen died during WWI. These men were not conscripted but enlisted in the British ranks either out of sense of injustice at the slaughter in Europe or for political expediency to quicken an Irish republic.

Somewhere in the region of a quarter of a million Irish fought in The Great War from both sectarian devides, often side by side against the Hun, both with different agendas towards a common enemy.

5500 Irishmen died on the first day of the Somme. Irish trade-unionists were encouraged to join the fight to gain glory and independence for Ireland at the inevitable re-shuflling of geography

Didn't work out that way. Irish republicans quite rightly decided that 'England's extremity was Ireland's opportunity', and so started a grand yet ill-fated uprising in Easter 1916.

Consequently, 15 of the uprisings figureheads were publically executed by the British. This kinda fucked up the front line Irish soldier from a morale point of view to the max.

Anyway, can't be arsed. Too wopped.

9. Lounge   -   #39
    brotherdoobie's Avatar Long live Hissyfit BT Rep: +1
    Quote Originally Posted by chalice View Post
    Loads of Irishmen died during WWI. These men were not conscripted but enlisted in the British ranks either out of sense of injustice at the slaughter in Europe or for political expediency to quicken an Irish republic.

Somewhere in the region of a quarter of a million Irish fought in The Great War from both sectarian devides, often side by side against the Hun, both with different agendas towards a common enemy.

5500 Irishmen died on the first day of the Somme. Irish trade-unionists were encouraged to join the fight to gain glory and independence for Ireland at the inevitable re-shuflling of geography

Didn't work out that way. Irish republicans quite rightly decided that 'England's extremity was Ireland's opportunity', and so started a grand yet ill-fated uprising in Easter 1916.

Consequently, 15 of the uprisings figureheads were publically executed by the British. This kinda fucked up the front line Irish soldier from a morale point of view to the max.

Anyway, can't be arsed. Too wopped.

Indeed. It's the weekend and there's drinking to be done. Politics and booze are a shite combination, anyway.

Peace, bd

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234