Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Signal Quality Loss/deterioration

Originally posted by MUSLEMAN@6 September 2003 - 22:32
    i got the same thing 3rd gen noob(as far as distance) and mine is fine also
    ok, thanks for the info
    i'll go looking for the 15m one tomorrow
    i don't want to get it online incase i don't get it in time, so i'm hoping either maplin's or pcworld will have it (i don't like pcworld though, ridiculous prices...)
    <span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'>BLAH</span>

<span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'>Wayne Rooney - A thug and a thief</span>

2. Software & Hardware   -   #12
    sorry to bump this, but this is the most difficult cable i&#39;ve ever tried to find.
    before i went out shopping for it, i found it on the internet (www.cableuniverse.co.uk), however, i wanted it more quickly than it would be available from the internet

i went out looking today, i couldn&#39;t find it at all

i went to Maplin&#39;s, PC World, Miller Bros, Curry&#39;s, Comet, Dixon&#39;s and STS and still didn&#39;t find it

therefore i had to resort to buying it on internet

just a bit of advice for uk consumers if they&#39;re looking for this cable...

<span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'>Wayne Rooney - A thug and a thief</span>

3. Software & Hardware   -   #13
    lynx's Avatar .
    If the cable from your modem has a standard BT connector on it, you could have used an ordinary telephone extension cable. The filter is only for phone frequency devices, the adsl side is usually unfiltered.

edit: Alternatively you could have used a short rj11 to BT adapter which are easy to come by, and then used a standard BT extension cable.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #14
    Originally posted by lynx@8 September 2003 - 19:16
    If the cable from your modem has a standard BT connector on it, you could have used an ordinary telephone extension cable. The filter is only for phone frequency devices, the adsl side is usually unfiltered.
    no, it doesn&#39;t
    that was one of the problems
    another problem was that we have 2 phones on one line, therefore we use a splitter. this covers up the modem port on the filter, so we&#39;re using another extension on the filter

this sounds complicated

5. Software & Hardware   -   #15
    "if" your usb cable actually plugs in to the modem I would just get alonger usb cable, if not an extension would work. The problem with the long cors is not so muc a problem for you, but the next time that you cannot connect or your connection is slowing down your ISP is gonna blam it on not using the cord they provided to you.

When I was on dsl I had a 50 foot cord, worked fine. When I moved could not get online, tey told me it was the cord - turn out they had not even turned it on. (switched ISP&#39;s that day)

Anywasy I would sugest the longer usb cable instead of the line to the jack, just my suggestion.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #16
    the usb cable is fixed into the modem and i can&#39;t change the length of that

7. Software & Hardware   -   #17
    Yeah i figured it would be, you could get an extension but that may be as hard to find as the 15 foot cord, or harder since in most situations they are quite pointless.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #18
    lynx's Avatar .
    Probably not a good idea to get a usb cable of that length anyway, doubly so if the power is from the cable.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

9. Software & Hardware   -   #19
    ok, i&#39;ve drawn up a really bad little diagram of the planned temporary setup and planned permanent setup

can someone take a look at them and tell me if they&#39;re gonna work correctly, please...

thanks in advance

10. Software & Hardware   -   #20
    lynx's Avatar .
    Any reason why you don&#39;t want to use what you have drawn as &#39;temp&#39; in a permanent way ? It seems a perfectly reasonable arrangement to me (unless you don&#39;t want the phone in the same place as the modem).
    That is exactly the setup I have, with the addition of an extra filter for the downstairs phone (where the jack is).

The only thing you&#39;ve got to watch out for is extension leads made from aluminium cable - adsl does not work over aluminium.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast