44. You may not vote on this poll
  • Abort

24 54.55%
  • Keep

10 22.73%
  • No clue

10 22.73%
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: If your Foetus is diagnosed with down syndrome do you Abort?

Quote Originally Posted by j2k4 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by anoneemuse View Post
    this world is a pain in the butt for even normal people .. i wouldnt want that child to go through all the inevitable mental trauma that the society he will be bought upon will inflict on him/her ... its a sick sick world ....

abort and help him/her
    Do you have Down Syndrome?

How can you presume to know what it's like?

I have known numerous people so afflicted, and never got the idea from any of them that they would rather be dead.

The very idea that a life ought to be predicated on an uninterested observer's sense of it's worth is mighty offensive.
    everything i know now isnt what i have experienced in my own life .. so does it really matter if i have down syndrome or not to comment on what people with down syndrome might go through ?

its common sense + reading on the subject.. (oh dont go there , you might want to define reality too then )

i donno if you support mercy killing or not .. i see this in the same sense ...
    Last edited by anoneemuse; 11-02-2008 at 06:11 PM.

2. The Drawing Room   -   #12
    j2k4's Avatar en(un)lightened
    [
    everything i know now isnt what i have experienced in my own life ..
    So, then.

How would you know if what you thought was wrong.
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

3. The Drawing Room   -   #13
    [
    everything i know now isnt what i have experienced in my own life ..
    So, then.

you are now actually making me believe that you had down syndrome , otherwise how could you know much about it .. right ?

4. The Drawing Room   -   #14
    bigboab's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +1
    Quote Originally Posted by pentomato View Post
    It is not fair to anyone to bring a baby to this wolrd that is going to suffer so much. When the parents die what is next for the baby? living in a group home where they treat people like animals, yes I know I have seeing it first hand, I work with people with those conditions and it is not nice, it only create jobs, but people like that fall under the cracks.
    Fair?

By whose standards?

There are many people who live better lives than you or I; to which of them would you extend the authority to end your life because you are a "burden to others"?

It sounds like you've discovered the solution to African poverty.
    I think China is finding the solution to poverty by limiting the size of families. Let's face it, someone has to do something.

As for the topic I would not comment unless I had the individual facts before me. Who is to say that they wont find a cure for all these congenital conditions. Subject to research approval.
    The best way to keep a secret:- Tell everyone not to tell anyone.

5. The Drawing Room   -   #15

So, then.

you are now actually making me believe that you had down syndrome , otherwise how could you know much about it .. right ?
    Not at all.

Just pointing out the effrontery of your presumptive view, which is that some lives aren't worth living.

Who are you to say.
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

6. The Drawing Room   -   #16
    anjelik's Avatar BANNED BT Rep: +4
    I say yes,but depends on the age of foetus.Until 24 weeks of gestational age,you have permission to do abortion if the child is at danger.After 24 weeks later,at most of countries it is forbidden.

Anyway,I dont want to have a baby who has Down Syndrome.But this does not mean that all Down Syndrome babies dont desever to live.

7. The Drawing Room   -   #17
    Snee's Avatar Error xɐʇuʎs BT Rep: +1
    Quote Originally Posted by 100% View Post
    - unable to take care of itself
    Doesn't have to be true. The level of cognition and ability does, as I understand it, differ.

It's probable that the child will never be able to be as independent as someone considered normal, but then again there are plenty people who don't have Down's syndrome and still can't manage to take care of themselves.

- does not develop
    In the same way, or as far, as you or I have.

Doesn't mean he or she can't grow up to have a tremendously enjoyable life.

- will not reflect you
    Won't look like you or I, won't function like us, and won't be able to do everything we do.

But who cares? How often does a child turn out to be everything his or her parents might have wished?

And what's so fantastic about being just like us?

- first 6 years are fine then the difference shows
    I guess.

- survival of fittest
    If we start eliminating people on the basis of some percieved ideal of fitness we'll probably end up in a pretty boring world.

Besides, our societies are fairly enlightened ones, with social safety nets and whatnot. We don't live like animals, so shouldn't have to be bound by natural laws that don't have to apply the same way, anymore. The more advanced the civilisation, the more subjective what's fit to exist, I reckon.

And to round things up I'd like to point out that happiness often seems to be inversely proportional to intelligence. In some ways, I reckon that people with reduced mental capabilities, if you can call it that, may lead much better lives, as far as happiness and sense of fulfillment is concerned.

8. The Drawing Room   -   #18
    bigboab's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Snee View Post
    Doesn't have to be true. The level of cognition and ability does, as I understand it, differ.

It's probable that the child will never be able to be as independent as someone considered normal, but then again there are plenty people who don't have Down's syndrome and still can't manage to take care of themselves.

- does not develop
    In the same way, or as far, as you or I have.

Doesn't mean he or she can't grow up to have a tremendously enjoyable life.

- will not reflect you
    Won't look like you or I, won't function like us, and won't be able to do everything we do.

But who cares? How often does a child turn out to be everything his or her parents might have wished?

And what's so fantastic about being just like us?

- first 6 years are fine then the difference shows
    I guess.

- survival of fittest
    If we start eliminating people on the basis of some percieved ideal of fitness we'll probably end up in a pretty boring world.

Besides, our societies are fairly enlightened ones, with social safety nets and whatnot. We don't live like animals, so shouldn't have to be bound by natural laws that don't have to apply the same way, anymore. The more advanced the civilisation, the more subjective what's fit to exist, I reckon.

And to round things up I'd like to point out that happiness often seems to be inversely proportional to intelligence. In some ways, I reckon that people with reduced mental capabilities, if you can call it that, may lead much better lives, as far as happiness and sense of fulfillment is concerned.
    There was me thinking I had depression. Thanks Snny. I'll send you some pills.

Looking at what happens to disabled people in some parts of India tends to make you think twice. Almost everyone, me included, judge these events with their own societies values in mind. Would we change our minds if we include third world conditions?
    The best way to keep a secret:- Tell everyone not to tell anyone.

9. The Drawing Room   -   #19
    Quote Originally Posted by anjelik View Post
    I say yes,but depends on the age of foetus.Until 24 weeks of gestational age,you have permission to do abortion if the child is at danger.After 24 weeks later,at most of countries it is forbidden.

Anyway,I dont want to have a baby who has Down Syndrome.But this does not mean that all Down Syndrome babies dont desever to live.
    24 weeks, eh?

Where did they come up with that.

-Mark Twain

10. The Drawing Room   -   #20
    MaxOverlord's Avatar Simplify
    this world is a pain in the butt for even normal people .. i wouldnt want that child to go through all the inevitable mental trauma that the society he will be bought upon will inflict on him/her ... its a sick sick world ....

abort and help him/her
    My head nearly imploded when I read that last line.

Abort and help him/her.

How's about helping him/her by letting them live in this world and experience the joy it can bring...and how about helping him/her by loving him/her because him/her is a human being of your creation.
    You just keep pushing. You just keep pushing. I made every mistake that could be made. But I just kept pushing..... Descartes

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast