Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: no seedbox, no ratio, general tracker running gazelle?

LRm's Avatar -Aimer- BT Rep: +6BT Rep +6
    Nonscene and all users can upload.

No seedboxes allowed except for uploaders.
    so all users can use seedbox..don`t worry ppl.

2. BitTorrent   -   #22
    Member BT Rep: +1
    I don't get why you're banning seedboxes on a ratioless tracker. The argument against them is that they allow people to buffer and then leach off everyone else, but if there is no buffer why does it matter? If you are trying to make people seed things longer why not show some statistics like total time seeded (all torrents) and average time seeded per torrent and make that information public to show accountability? Let the community shame people into seeding things. Banning seedboxes will likely just make new releases slow.

Otherwise I like the idea very much actually.

Edit- no ratio could work, but kick out people who have both low sharing rates and seed times to get rid of people just there to leech and not share. No formal rule.
    Last edited by niggytardust; 10-30-2008 at 01:47 AM.

3. BitTorrent   -   #23
    Sorry, nice romantic idea but taking public and private tracker features putting them in a pot, simmering for 20 minutes and serving them up wont work.
    You can have as many security features as you like, if your a big open site anyone can join the swarm and have open day on your users ip's.
    Seedbox users dont worry about ratio's (or lack of them) on a site. The absence appeals to low upload users. Hence speeds are pretty much doomed as soon as your uploader has to move on.

4. BitTorrent   -   #24
    Haha no ratio on a non scene tracker? Did you really think about that one?

Think about it, lets say that mr A decides to upload some nice 1990's movie pack. When it comes out, 20 people see it and decide 'whoa, thats awesome, i should download it". They seed for the required time (im guess 24 hours per GB or something like that?), and then the torrent dies after 1 week.

People seems to think that noratio trackers work, but it wont work in this case unless you have a DAMN GOOD incentive to seed long periods of time. And by damn good incentive, its gotta have to be along the lines of offering a time machine to seeders to go back in time and do jessica alba (pre pregnancy).

Good luck mate, I think the idea of creating a modernized demonoid is a great idea, and i truly wish you success.
    Last edited by Cradle; 10-30-2008 at 12:48 AM.

5. BitTorrent   -   #25
    k_ichigo's Avatar like.no.other BT Rep: +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30
    incentive = seed for ban policy

active for 3 weeks or something
    Last edited by k_ichigo; 10-30-2008 at 04:25 AM.

6. BitTorrent   -   #26
    Erm, the OP has been banned?

7. BitTorrent   -   #27
    Now we'll never know what becomes of Demonhuntnovabay.org :/

8. BitTorrent   -   #28
    kelfa's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +1
    If its no ratio, the seedboxes wouldnt matter. It would just help everyone get files quicker.

9. BitTorrent   -   #29
    BANNED BT Rep: +7BT Rep +7
    Hes obviously been banned coz it was the same guy who opened all the other threads.
    Come on people use ur loaf

10. BitTorrent   -   #30
    Poster BT Rep: +9BT Rep +9
    I agree with the other comments. I don't see enough benefit to stop seedboxes. I use a seedbox because my isp cuts your connection if it detects bittorrent traffic. So I have to use a seedbox. But I did before too. Why limit the speed of your downloaders? They are not going to complain that they are getting the file too quickly.

The only problem I can see is with no ratio. When you are small, you might have problems keeping seeds that way. After you get big, it shouldn't be a problem, but it is possible in the begining. One possible fix could be to offer incentives after certian amounts uploaded, like class promotions, points, invites, forum perks, etc. (you know the drill). Or maybe the time rules (like must seed for a number of hours). But I've always had problems with that one. A person could limit it to 1kb up and give all their bandwith to sites that require uploading. It doesn't work to encourage seeding, but good for sites that track hit n runs.

Another idea, you just didn't track download (publicly atleast). So, example, some guy in your forum asks for a re-seed, I go to his profile and see he has been a member for a year with almost no upload, so I wouldn't fill it. He isn't giving people bandwith, so why should I give him any (though reseed requests would be a good incentive to get people to upload). Now if that same person had say 50 up, I would help him out, even though he may have a lot more down, I have no clue know much. Atleast I know he shared 50gigs and hasn't limited all his torrents for the site.

Lets face facts, many people don't seed if they don't have to. TPB does well, because the amount of users. Its public, more people will jump on the torrents. There are millions of users. Actually lets look at numbers. There are 17 million members, and 7 million are seeders(about 41%) (also, keep in mind a person is probably seeding more than one file, so who knows how many different people are seeding, that number is how many true seeds there are). So if you 10K members and there are 41% seeds that gives you about 4100 (comparison: a private site with about 16k members has 30,000 seeders). There are 7 million seeders with 10 millions leachers (a .7 seed:leecher ratio). So, using those numbers you have 10K members, 4100 seeders and 6970 leechers (comparison: the same private site I currently has 34,473 seeds and 4431 leachers for a 778 ratio) . I'm using numbers from a large community (TBP), so they could be very optimistic. So, really, everyone loves the idea of no ratio but if there is no reason to seed, many won't.
    If you skipped the math, lets recap. You have a torrent with 1 seed, 2 leechers it is 500megs large, the seeder is uploading at 20-30kB/s (no seedboxes remembers, most people don't have 'em anyway, so it is a good number). Would you download the torrent? I wouldn't, it would take forever. New torrents would probably have a fair amount of seeds but would probably die quickly. Am I saying no ratio is bad? No, not at all. There just needs to be ways to encourage seeding.

No rar files. No pretimes. Nonscene and all users can upload....wonderful I love the anonymous mode, security and privacy features.
    I like the idea, but trying to play devils advocate. It is a good idea, but will it work? According to the numbers...if you do nothing to get people to seed, no. There would be few seeds and slow speeds. If people have reason to upload (still no ratio), then yes, it could. I think the members here could you some great ideas on how to get it to work.

Edit: Well, he wasn't banned with I started typing. Of course with how long I take to type, it was still on page one. It is still a good discussion.
    Last edited by styupe; 10-31-2008 at 03:14 AM.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast