MediaSlayer's Avatar slowly going deaf
    ok nikita here's some relevant settings under options:
    general tab-
    Hide sygate personal firewall pro system tray icon. unchecked
    Automatically load Sygate Personal Firewall Pro service at startup. checked
    Block network neighborhood traffic while in screensaver mode. unchecked

network neighborhood-
    allow to browse network neighborhood files and printers. checked
    allow others to share my files and printers. unchecked,but if you have filesharing probs check it

security-
    enable intrusion detection system. checked
    enable portscan detection. checked
    enable driver level protection. unchecked
    enable stealth mode browsing. unchecked
    block all traffic while the service is not loaded. unchecked
    automatically block attackers ip address for xxx seconds. checked
    enable dll authentication. unchecked
    enable anti-mac spoofing. checked
    enable anti-ip spoofing. unchecked
    enable os fingerprint masquerading. unchecked
    netbios protection. checked
    enable smart dns. checked
    enable smart dhcp. checked

sending fiery missiles in manker's japan's general direction.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #32
    I hate to disappoint u Media and truly appreciate ur persistance to help, yet those setting did resolve it. Balamm has suggested to me in the past similar settings and those didn't resolve it either. I'm still stuck at ALLOW ALL when browsing only this site. i dono anymore. i may have to settle by switching back and forth. It just bothers me that I can't figure it out, thinking logically, there is a solution and the only way I can resolve is by figuring out the cause first.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #33
    Poster
    So you haven't created any odd rules that would complicate anything? This is what my services panel looks like in XP. Nothing fancy, the only thing blocked at the moment is generic host processes. everything else is set to ask. If IE doesn't look like mine does, unblock it by right clicking and simply set it to ask. No other rules. Choose on a case by connection basis.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #34
    uuuuhhhhhh maybe i should've included more text with my last post. Those settings are only part of what you need. Not only that, but it has been verified on the sygate forum that it's best to do a clean install and set the correct settings immediately. I don't recommend upgrading and overwriting over a previous version. Also on the forum there are some threads that mention corruption caused partly from bad configuration or setup. Another reason to start from stratch. Clean install doesn't just mean clicking "uninstall" you have to check the forum I never saved the text sorry they recommend deleting some leftover registry files associated with sygate just to be on the safe side. If you already knew all that, great. Once you do a clean install, allow everything that pops up and immediately set all the options correctly and post a screen shot of the *traffic log* after opening ie. The bottom of the log is what I want to see, that's when it first makes connection. It could be browser related all my ie settings are custom including cookies. Also note which programs are visible in your tools>applications window in sygate and of course verify the version with the about button to make sure it says version5.0probuild1150. Also, I'm offering not telling so feel free to do what works best for you.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #35
    @balamm - No, no rules were/are created. My service pannel has the followings:
    • NT Kernel & System - ASK
    • Generic Host Process for Win32 Services - ASK, yet i'm gonna find out what is using this service
    • Application Layer Gateway Service - ASK
    • Opera Internet Browser - ASK
    @Media - I found the CLEAN INSTALL process and posting it here for future reference to anyone. I'll try it and post again with the results.

IMPORTANT NOTE: One time while I was on Sygate's forum and posting, it caused the same effect as when I post here. However, with this board, many times I have to ALLOW ALL just to browse. Another important note, that I missed to mention before is if I'm not logged in to this board and browsing all over the forum, Sygate doesn't block anything.
    Products:
    Sygate® Personal Firewall
    Sygate® Personal Firewall Pro

Operating systems:
    All supported operating systems.

Details:

To be sure you have a clean uninstall and reinstall of SPF please do the following.
    First uninstall SPF via the uninstall wizard then reboot. Then once up please do the fallowing.

Run a system search (start> search> files and folders) for anything related to Sygate, Sybergen or SPF and delete it.

Now Click "Start" >> "Run" and type "regedit"; Now locate and delete the following folders if found: (Please note: if you do not find any of these that is fine you just want to be sure that there are no conflicts and that you get a clean install)

For 95/98 & ME:
    HK_LOCAL_MACHINE\software\winsock2\wps
    HK_LOCAL_MACHINE\software\sygate technologies, Inc.\Sygate Personal Firewall

Now run a system search (start> find files and folders) and remove the following.
    “Teefer.vxd” (windows\system\teefer.vxd)
    “Wps.dll” (windows\system\wps.dll)

For NT & 2000/XP:
    HK_LOCAL_MACHINE\software\winsock2\wps
    HK_LOCAL_MACHINE\software\sygate technologies, Inc.\Sygate Personal Firewall
    HK_LOCAL_MACHINE\system\currentcontrolset\service\smcservice
    HK_LOCAL_MACHINE\system\currentcontrolset\service\teefer
    HKEY_LOCAL_Machine/software/Microsoft/windows/currentversion/uninstall/{5D422994-9E10-11D4-AEB1-00D0B7237D97}

Now run a system search (start> find files and folders) and remove the following.
    “Teefer.sys” (winNT\system32\drivers\teefer.sys)
    “Wps.dll” (winNT\system32\wps.dll)

For XP:
    “Teefer.sys” (windows\system32\drivers\teefer.sys)
    “Wps.dll” (windows\system32\wps.dll)

Then reboot. Once back up disable all security (Please note: if running XP please be sure you have disabled it built-in firewall ICF) and anti virus software and reinstall SPF.

Please Note: When dealing with the system registry you will need to be careful so only remove the listed folders as they relate to Sygate and SPF.

Keywords:
    clean install, clean uninstall, corrupt

Last edited by Chris on 09-19-2002 at 12:23 PM

6. Software & Hardware   -   #36
    i'm guessing its either your router or your browser(opera) but i'll post back in a few minutes or a few hours

7. Software & Hardware   -   #37
    ***UPDATE***
      • I found my MTU set to 1500, so I did the test c:\> ping -f -l 1500 www.my-isp-name.com and got on all tries, "Packet needs to be fragmented but DF set. with a loss of 100%. So, I kept reducing the MTU until 1464 and that pinged @ 254 w/a loss of 0%. Then I followed the above steps for the CLEAN INSTALL
      • Eventhough I changed the MTU to 1464 and did a clean install, the problem has changed now. Before it used to block incoming source 192.168.1.254 (which is my DSL Modem), now SPF is blocking 10.10.10.1 (my linksys router) IMPORTANT NOTE: I have noticed the following:
        • This board:
        • When I browse this site while not logged in as a member, I face no problem-even if i have all security option checked.
        • when I log in to this site sometimes the block occurs imediatley as I borwse, or only when I post/preview and/or after about 5-10 minutes of browsing and posting.
        • Sygate's Site:
        • Same as this site on the first point
        • Only when I post/preview
    Regarding the browser, that wouldn't be the issue since I got the same results on 4 different browsers. As for the router, eventhough I doubt it, I'm not ruling it out yet.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #38
    nikita I don't know nothing about routers, only firewalls. If you had a cable connection your problem would probably already be solved, but that's a guess. Still no *traffic* log, but hey, I don't even know if that would help because you said sygate isn't blocking anything at all. here is a paste that you might find helpful, then again it may be common knowledge. the source is unknown

Paste:Configure Your Router

If you use a router to connect to the Internet, you probably need to configure it to allow the Remote Desktop connection to your computer. For more information on routers and firewalls, see my Internet Firewalls column. You need to forward two ports to your Windows XP Professional-based computer: TCP port 3389, which Remote Desktop requires, and the port you specified in the TCP Port field in Internet Information Services (or TCP port 80 if you did not change the default). If you use Internet Connection Firewall (and you should&#33, see How to Manually Open Ports in Internet Connection Firewall in Windows XP for instructions on allowing traffic by TCP port.

I'm sure you already know that, but what the hey, ..good luck

9. Software & Hardware   -   #39
    BANNED
    Originally posted by MediaSlayer@3 October 2003 - 04:07
    nikita I don't know nothing about routers, only firewalls.  If you had a cable connection your problem would probably already be solved, but that's a guess.  Still no *traffic* log, but hey, I don't even know if that would help because you said sygate isn't blocking anything at all.  here is a paste that you might find helpful, then again it may be common knowledge.  the source is unknown

Paste:Configure Your Router

If you use a router to connect to the Internet, you probably need to configure it to allow the Remote Desktop connection to your computer. For more information on routers and firewalls, see my Internet Firewalls column. You need to forward two ports to your Windows XP Professional-based computer: TCP port 3389, which Remote Desktop requires, and the port you specified in the TCP Port field in Internet Information Services (or TCP port 80 if you did not change the default). If you use Internet Connection Firewall (and you should&#33, see How to Manually Open Ports in Internet Connection Firewall in Windows XP for instructions on allowing traffic by TCP port.

I'm sure you already know that, but what the hey, ..good luck
    no she already has ports forwarded and dmz host is set also she said that when not using the router and connecting strait form modem she still has this problem,i think its the firewall

10. Software & Hardware   -   #40
    doesn't he have dsl though?

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast