Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 1234512 ... LastLast

Thread: How would "You" get good members

stoi's Avatar BCG Owner BT Rep: +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45
    But as has been said, an application system means work for the staff, and i am not talking about these small sites, that may get 1 every 10 days, i am talking about sites that if they do open up, they get 10,000 new members in 24 hours.

this is also not just about my site either, its just a general question about how to get good members in, with minumul work for the staff, after all, its all done in their spare time for very little reward.

2. BitTorrent   -   #12
    integral's Avatar No surprises. BT Rep: +4
    Depends what you mean by "good".

If you just want someone who isn't a trashy trader/cheater/seller, then I suggest scouting through another tracker. This way, you can already verify their "goodness" on one site, and you can check for their name on other trackers, to see if they have some sort of identity. You can also judge whether they might be a shady character; I'm not saying this is true in all circumstances, but I would guess traders would have very little or no forum posts/comments, as they're trying their hardest to stay under the radar.

they didn't built Rome in one day

3. BitTorrent   -   #13
    Time-Traveller's Avatar Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by MR.FOX View Post
    if u want good member

make big giveaway

and the members

show screen shoot from the games they have

or give u a reason why they want to be members in ur tracker

Hmm nah won't work just makes it easier for undesirables to get in.

Here's my super duper photo-chopped screen shot of my games &
    I would like to join as I'm a console game addict and have been for 15 years.

24 hours later on the FST trade board...

I have a fresh BCG games account but "My Dream" is to join TL wanna trade.

4. BitTorrent   -   #14
    X X - - (-o-) (-o-) BT Rep: +3
    Well, if the application system is not an option, cos of the numbers (which I understand), then there are some sites, which are great imo, and the people who you are talking about (cheaters, pricks with seedboxes, people who don't even try to behave) are just not interested in the content. Yeah, again KG, the content there just selects the members. To be honest, I don't know any way besides application to only let in those members, who would appreciate the site...

5. BitTorrent   -   #15
    Quote Originally Posted by stoi View Post
    But as has been said, an application system means work for the staff, and i am not talking about these small sites, that may get 1 every 10 days, i am talking about sites that if they do open up, they get 10,000 new members in 24 hours.

this is also not just about my site either, its just a general question about how to get good members in, with minumul work for the staff, after all, its all done in their spare time for very little reward.
    Trial membership followed by auto-evaluation after a preset time period, it's not going to stop your DHCP 1 hit & runners though, the only thing I can vaguely think of to circumvent that is something similar to what XP used by generating a unique code from the hardware installed in the users box and keeping a log of it so that if the same user came back with a different IP there would be something else to cross reference it with but I'm guessing this is not easy code to write and users may feel as if their privacy is being invaded, you got me on that one

**Edit**

Not specifiacally talking about your site Stoi in any of my posts but just using it as an example of a large site which undoubtedly suffers from these annoying problems
    Last edited by Time-Traveller; 01-14-2009 at 04:53 PM.

6. BitTorrent   -   #16
    Quote Originally Posted by integral View Post
    Depends what you mean by "good".

If you just want someone who isn't a trashy trader/cheater/seller, then I suggest scouting through another tracker. This way, you can already verify their "goodness" on one site, and you can check for their name on other trackers, to see if they have some sort of identity. You can also judge whether they might be a shady character; I'm not saying this is true in all circumstances, but I would guess traders would have very little or no forum posts/comments, as they're trying their hardest to stay under the radar.

most sites already have existing invite threads for other sites, that can only be seen by proven members.

doing it in secret "poaching" on someone elses site would be frowned upon, and might lead to some friction between trackers

and takes us back to the whole, theyre already on every site thing.

7. BitTorrent   -   #17
    Poster BT Rep: +1
    Torrent users need to stop stressing over this crap, because it hardly makes a difference. Just open signups and have a user limit and if you find users who really break rules, warn/ban.

8. BitTorrent   -   #18
    Quote Originally Posted by basilhaydens View Post
    Torrent users need to stop stressing over this crap, because it hardly makes a difference. Just open signups and have a user limit and if you find users who really break rules, warn/ban.
    This is completely untrue and in no way constructive to the OP's thread.

9. BitTorrent   -   #19
    stoi's Avatar BCG Owner BT Rep: +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45
    Quote Originally Posted by basilhaydens View Post
    You have 2 problems with that though.

Security for the members, anyone can sign up, jump on a torrent, get a list of IPs

Back to the sign up, hit and run, get banned, change IPs, new email, sign up, hit and run, get banned again rinse and repeat.

Also believe it or not, when we used to open, members would just sign up 20-250 times, so when we closed, they had accounts to trade/sell.

10. BitTorrent   -   #20
    just officially offer invites to BCG on other trackers' invite threads/forums (EX waffles, what, hdbits.org). access to these threads/forums is usually PU or higher so at least they're good there. i know this is something you haven't tried yet, but a lot of other trackers have tried lol. you should probably have strict requirements for some of the larger trackers like what.cd.
    Last edited by piratebot; 01-14-2009 at 05:09 PM.

Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 1234512 ... LastLast