Page 4 of 18 FirstFirst 123456714 ... LastLast

Thread: How would "You" get good members

Cabalo's Avatar FileSharingTalker BT Rep: +24BT Rep +24BT Rep +24BT Rep +24BT Rep +24
    i pretty much believe in the theory of "external recruiters".
    i was talking with this with a RL friend of mine that was thinking to open a tracker and wanted me to share some knowledge.
    after a very long discussion, mostly as i playing devil's advocate, we reached a common sense that recruiters would be the way to go.
    recruiters that not necessarily had to be staff.

i'll try to keep this short, but what we'd do is to talk with some people that we know as of trustworthy at several places, not all BT related, and some very country specific, and recruit members to become "recruiters". I know a few, hardcore good torrenters, that would fit like a glove.

they would necessarily be compensate in the short and medium run with whatever we feel like it's their motivation (perks on site, seedboxes, invites for other sites, and other stuff).
    Of course all of them would run a 2 month trial period, mostly one month for recruiting members and 1 month more to see how those recruits behaved.

some will say that this might create the recruiter figure as a very important one, and that he can profit along his way (not talking monetarily), but hey, if he is doing a damn fine job, why should i care if he is "the guy to talk to" consider it as one of the "payment" for his services.
    i also don't believe in trackers that only allow members to enter after too long scrutiny . I know so many good ones that almost never will get a shot at being members of some harder to get into sites.

2. BitTorrent   -   #32
    mamacita's Avatar Tarding is bad!! BT Rep: +19BT Rep +19BT Rep +19BT Rep +19
    Quote Originally Posted by integral View Post
    Also, the severe misconception where people feel they _have_ to recruit other to torrent sites from other torrent-replated places should be stopped. Many trackers' FAQ pages tell you everything you need to know, so tracker userbases feeding off of each other shouldn't be the only option.

Good point, meant to mention that myself. I'd love to see recruiting done in active forums that have nothing to do with torrenting. Of course, those people recruited from these places would need a little "hand holding" at first.
    Kindness goes a long way!

3. BitTorrent   -   #33
    what respectable, non-filesharing related forums would allow something related to piracy?

4. BitTorrent   -   #34
    NON TRADER BT Rep: +13BT Rep +13BT Rep +13
    Quote Originally Posted by basilhaydens View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by stoi View Post

You have 2 problems with that though.

Security for the members, anyone can sign up, jump on a torrent, get a list of IPs

Back to the sign up, hit and run, get banned, change IPs, new email, sign up, hit and run, get banned again rinse and repeat.

Also believe it or not, when we used to open, members would just sign up 20-250 times, so when we closed, they had accounts to trade/sell.
    How often are ips actually reported and action taken? Rarely. Even rarer do they amount to anything.

I've got or have had several accounts on several sites. Technically I've been a fairly good member on each account, so there is no harm done. Some may get banned a few times, but big deal, they are not really taking anything from the tracker.

I'm protrading, I just don't think the problems with security are so serious. And the more open signup periods, the less likely people are to trade accounts.
    actually, m8 you're a bit off on that m8... ips are actually reported and acted on much more than you think... don't be fooled by fellow trader's campfire stories who say its false simply because they havn't been caught... yet!

and i agree about the open signups... they would deter a lot of trading ... then again. so would a flood of invites.. who actually would trade if they river of invites flooded right over you...
    TRADING SUCKS DEAL WITH IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

5. BitTorrent   -   #35
    Quote Originally Posted by piratebot View Post
    what respectable, non-filesharing related forums would allow something related to piracy?

you seem to be assuming that recruiting is done through some sort of "thread" or post. I'm not condoning that at all. In fact, i don't think public recruitment like what is done here at FST sometimes is a good thing.

I'm talking about inviting people that you get to know on an individual basis. Recruitment of members should be a slow and steady thing, not a sudden influx.

6. BitTorrent   -   #36
    stoi's Avatar BCG Owner BT Rep: +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45
    and i agree about the open signups... they would deter a lot of trading ... then again. so would a flood of invites.. who actually would trade if they river of invites flooded right over you.
    hmm wrong

we had over 350,000 invites in our db ready to use, every member had about 15 of them, and people still traded and sold them.

So quantity means nothing.

Mind you if the WTAW thread had been updated and we went down to lvl 1-2 at the time of having that many, it may have been different, but as we were still lvl 3 they were still worth something.

7. BitTorrent   -   #37
    Cabalo's Avatar FileSharingTalker BT Rep: +24BT Rep +24BT Rep +24BT Rep +24BT Rep +24
    shit, took me 15 minutes to write my post, and mamacita almost took all my ideas
    buhaaaa i'm no longer original...

but hey, it's good to see that some people share this view, it's the first time i am seeing a debate about it.

8. BitTorrent   -   #38
    Time-Traveller's Avatar Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by stoi View Post
    and i agree about the open signups... they would deter a lot of trading ... then again. so would a flood of invites.. who actually would trade if they river of invites flooded right over you.
    hmm wrong

we had over 350,000 invites in our db ready to use, every member had about 15 of them, and people still traded and sold them.

So quantity means nothing.

Mind you if the WTAW thread had been updated and we went down to lvl 1-2 at the time of having that many, it may have been different, but as we were still lvl 3 they were still worth something.
    I think you've hit upon another paradoxical problem how do you take the value out of your invites pre-membership and still get your users to treasure their account post-membership, the good users will of course appreciate the content & knowledge in the site but traders will always be motivated by supply and demand

That WTAW list has a lot to answer for.

9. BitTorrent   -   #39
    Indeed, abolishing the WTAW thread, and then giving it time, would greatly help things too.

10. BitTorrent   -   #40
    stoi's Avatar BCG Owner BT Rep: +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45
    But that will never happen.

I have tried lol

Page 4 of 18 FirstFirst 123456714 ... LastLast