Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Unrarred torrents

Polarbear's Avatar deep funk BT Rep: +5
    the main reason why files are rared, is because split files can be raced faster from one scene ftp site to another. on ftp only one person can have access to a file. splitting a file in several rars means more people can contribute to the race, maximize the speed so that the sites get the releases faster.
    it has nothing to do with bittorrent and little with corrupt files. it's a method to optimize the transfer between scene ftp servers. by splitting files you can max out the existing bandwith and achieve non-singular transfers.
    everyone who's ever fxp'd to another server should confirm this.

most fast bittorrent sites have automated uploads and server hd space is limited. unraring would mean marginal slower pretimes and more hd space.

it's not necessary for bittorrent. i appreciate sites like hdbits or bitmetv that do the service for their users and upload the releases unrared. on the other hand there are people who like to race trackers and they'd prefer them rared.

besides the pretimes and "more work for the uploader" argument, there's no real reason for rars with bittorrent.

@op "fuck the scene" is indeed a nice approach for someone who leeches their files without contributing. 90% of all bittorrent trackers would be dead without the scene. this topic has been discussed many times before by the way.

2. BitTorrent   -   #12
    Play your movies with XBMC, Winmount, or any other rar player. So there is no need to extract the movies, unless you want to burn it and play it on a standalone DivX player.

3. BitTorrent   -   #13
    cinephilia's Avatar I don't like you BT Rep: +10BT Rep +10
    Quote Originally Posted by nethawk View Post
    Play your movies with XBMC, Winmount, or any other rar player. So there is no need to extract the movies, unless you want to burn it and play it on a standalone DivX player.
    Dziobas Rar Player is also a good alternative.
    whenever people agree with me, i always feel i must be wrong.

4. BitTorrent   -   #14
    Funkin''s Avatar home skillet BT Rep: +4
    I actually love grabbing torrents that are rar'd. It saves in space, and only takes a second or two to extract. So I personally don't see the big deal in it.

5. BitTorrent   -   #15
    Detale's Avatar Go Snatch a Judge
    WOW fuck the scene huh. Dude they get us all the goods man. it's not like Im ripping, capping and uploading that stuff. I always thought trackers left it like that for some kind of securit reason or something

6. BitTorrent   -   #16
    Quote Originally Posted by Funkin' View Post
    I actually love grabbing torrents that are rar'd. It saves in space, and only takes a second or two to extract. So I personally don't see the big deal in it.
    if you're dling scene stuff then you're not saving space.

7. BitTorrent   -   #17
    vic's Avatar Poster
    jesus guys you really misunderstood the whole fuck the scene issue.

i didn't mean it like that, what i meant was that scene is no excuse for torrent sites using rarred releases.

and PB i think that keeping more seeders ( if at all ) on the file is much more important then stupid pre times ( on torrent sites of course ).

8. BitTorrent   -   #18
    Lovestoned's Avatar #Indie BT Rep: +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35
    vic, if I'm not wrong the scene releases weren't meant for the trackers themselves so they don't care about getting pretimes for trackers or whatsoever I guess.

Files can get corrupted easily if they are too big, RAR is definetely a safer way.

There's both pros and cons for the scene to use RAR 2.0 but the pros has definetely overcame the cons.

9. BitTorrent   -   #19
    vic's Avatar Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by AniStoned View Post
    vic, if I'm not wrong the scene releases weren't meant for the trackers themselves so they don't care about getting pretimes for trackers or whatsoever I guess.

Files can get corrupted easily if they are too big, RAR is definetely a safer way.

There's both pros and cons for the scene to use RAR 2.0 but the pros has definetely overcame the cons.
    but torrent trackers are not the scene.

they are not using ftp servers.

and they need people to seed longer then what they are today.

10. BitTorrent   -   #20
    Polarbear's Avatar deep funk BT Rep: +5
    Quote Originally Posted by AniStoned View Post
    no they can't. the whole rars are better on bittorrent because of corrupted file is nonsense. i don't know who started this false information, but you still see it posted in every rar or unrar thread.

data integrity and recovery is built in the bt protocol, you don't need an extra layer.

it uses an sha-1 hash code for each received piece of data. you'll always get exactly the same what was initially uploaded to the tracker.

if you end up with corrupted files, you either have faulty hardware or the file was corrupt before even uploaded.

also almost all scene rars are archived, but not compressed. you don't save hd space.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast