Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: hd, nzb site...?

beansis's Avatar Pussy Liquor
    Quote Originally Posted by EyeBaller View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by beansis View Post
    Well the thing is I know some really good places to get some amazing 2-3gb 720p encodes through direct download . . . so i meant quality 720p encodes in relatively small size are hard to find on usenet

and if im gonna download 4gb+ i might as well go all the way for 1080p
    1080p rips usually run around 7-8gb+++. I would say if you're gonna get p2p 2-3gb, go all the way for a scene 4gb rip, not *another* 4gb for a 1080p.
    true, but from my point of view there is not really that much difference between the 2-3gb 720 movies that I get through direct download and the 4gb scene rips that are found all over usenet, other than the extra hdd space they take up
    i get my encodes from a team called hd-unit3d, I recommend you check them out if you've never heard of them

with this kind of logic, I'm thinking that if I want a real improvement of the quality of movies that I download, I might as well go for a 1080p 8.5gb release, which is just as easy to obtain through usenet as a 720p 4gb

the main reason why I really like the small sized 720p encodes is because I have a 22" 1650*1050 monitor with which I view the movies, so quality increase is not really all that noticeable

I do have a 42" 1080p tv, but I dont yet have a blu-ray player, so once I get one of those and a Bluray burner, I'll look to use netfix rather than downloading full bluray rips

My 720p encodes, on the other hand, can come with me where ever I go and take up a relatively small amount of space
    Last edited by beansis; 08-02-2009 at 06:04 AM.

2. Newsgroups   -   #22
    iLOVENZB's Avatar FST Crew BT Rep: +1

1080p rips usually run around 7-8gb+++. I would say if you're gonna get p2p 2-3gb, go all the way for a scene 4gb rip, not *another* 4gb for a 1080p.
    true, but from my point of view there is not really that much difference between the 2-3gb 720 movies that I get through direct download and the 4gb scene rips that are found all over usenet, other than the extra hdd space they take up
    i get my encodes from a team called hd-unit3d, I recommend you check them out if you've never heard of them

with this kind of logic, I'm thinking that if I want a real improvement of the quality of movies that I download, I might as well go for a 1080p 8.5gb release, which is just as easy to obtain through usenet as a 720p 4gb

the main reason why I really like the small sized 720p encodes is because I have a 22" 1650*1050 monitor with which I view the movies, so quality increase is not really all that noticeable

I do have a 42" 1080p tv, but I dont yet have a blu-ray player, so once I get one of those and a Bluray burner, I'll look to use netfix rather than downloading full bluray rips

My 720p encodes, on the other hand, can come with me where ever I go and take up a relatively small amount of space
    You won't notice any difference between a mHD encode to a 1080p rip on a 22". You will notice a difference on your 42" TV .

I like HD-BB but i'll look at UD-Unit3d too

EDIT: HD-Unit3d is really good, they've got 480p () encodes!
    "Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music"

3. Newsgroups   -   #23
    [/QUOTE]You won't notice any difference between a mHD encode to a 1080p rip on a 22". You will notice a difference on your 42" TV .[/QUOTE]

Yea but I have a desktop on a different floor so I cant really view any of my downloads on the 42",
    I will be getting a 1080p 16" laptop that will have a bluray burner pretty soon tho. . .

Im thinking that if I wanna use the tv I want full bluray quality so i'll skip the downloading all together and go with the netflix copy method

[/QUOTE]I like HD-BB but i'll look at UD-Unit3d too

EDIT: HD-Unit3d is really good, they've got 480p () encodes![/QUOTE]

I agree hd-bb is really good but I think HD-Unit3d is more consistent overall, you should see their Iron-Man and Watchmen encodes, i am talking about 720p though, I pretty much never get 480p

some other good places are x264-bb and HDmania

my bad on the quotes

oh and there is a difference on the 22" monitor, but it isn't very significant
    Last edited by beansis; 08-02-2009 at 06:18 PM.

4. Newsgroups   -   #24
    SonsOfLiberty's Avatar The Lonely Wanderer
    Quote Originally Posted by iLOVENZB View Post

720p are easy to find on Usenet

http://www.nzbindex.nl/search/?q=720...espam=1&more=0

Also most 720p rips are 4GB+, depends if you get them from the scene or a p2p group.

Scene=DVD5
    P2P=Generally larger than 4GB

Well the thing is I know some really good places to get some amazing 2-3gb 720p encodes through direct download . . . so i meant quality 720p encodes in relatively small size are hard to find on usenet

and if im gonna download 4gb+ i might as well go all the way for 1080p
    There are tons and tons of quality 720p rips here, and I mean tons, why would you want a 2GB 720p? That's degrading the movie quite a big, consider most 720p are DVD5 size and at that are really really good.

For example of a great rip (I don't have it, I'm exampling it by size) The Dark Night-ESiR, almost 8GB, so you would want the same movie at 3GB? That would totally degrade the movie quality.

I know if/and/when I get my bluray setup, I would rip my collection for the sake of backup, but I will probably do it 720p instaed of 1080p but that depends on the TV I will have setup, because I will stream them via my Xbox 360, that way I have them on demand instead of putting them in disc by disc.
    [center]

5. Newsgroups   -   #25
    Quote Originally Posted by SonsOfLiberty View Post
    There are tons and tons of quality 720p rips here, and I mean tons, why would you want a 2GB 720p? That's degrading the movie quite a big, consider most 720p are DVD5 size and at that are really really good.

For example of a great rip (I don't have it, I'm exampling it by size) The Dark Night-ESiR, almost 8GB, so you would want the same movie at 3GB? That would totally degrade the movie quality.

I know if/and/when I get my bluray setup, I would rip my collection for the sake of backup, but I will probably do it 720p instaed of 1080p but that depends on the TV I will have setup, because I will stream them via my Xbox 360, that way I have them on demand instead of putting them in disc by disc.
    Well they're actually more like +/-3gb, and I like that downloading them doesn't eat up a lot of bandwidth and they don't take up a lot of space

I really don't see why I should download a 720p rip that's 8gb when I can get one that's 1080 and basically the same size. Im only watching them on a 1650*1050 22" inch monitor anyways so I don't think the extra bandwith/hdd space is worth only a slight increase in quality.

Also most of the hd-unit3d encodes are not very "degraded" compared to most DVD5 720p rips. Their encode methods are pretty much astounding, and they use good sources, sometimes even PROPER rips

6. Newsgroups   -   #26
    hotshot6473's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +1
    I hate to do this too you but all do these rips are even worse than scene encodes. The whole point of watching HD is to see the clarity presented in a bluray. When you make an encode you are supposed to keep the source and encode transparent. The scene do a horrible job with this because they have to cut quality because of filesize limitations. Anything that is even less quality than scene which the small 2-3GB encodes are can be considered basically standard def. If you are going to download these files I would suggest just getting the DVDR and having it upscaled.

7. Newsgroups   -   #27
    I took a look. Most of these rips are re-encodes from 720p scene rips.

There's enough loss of quality when you rip from the BD to a 4gb 720p rip. There's going to be a significant reduction in quality if you then re-encode it to a lower bitrate.

You may not notice this on your 22" monitor, but I'm sure you will on the 42" screen. I'd stand by my original recommendation of grabbing scene rips at 720p. The extra 1-2gb per move isn't that relevant when HDDs are so cheap now. This way, whatever method you want to use to watch these on the bigger screen you'll have a better quality rip to watch.

8. Newsgroups   -   #28

I took a look. Most of these rips are re-encodes from 720p scene rips.

There's enough loss of quality when you rip from the BD to a 4gb 720p rip. There's going to be a significant reduction in quality if you then re-encode it to a lower bitrate.

You may not notice this on your 22" monitor, but I'm sure you will on the 42" screen. I'd stand by my original recommendation of grabbing scene rips at 720p. The extra 1-2gb per move isn't that relevant when HDDs are so cheap now. This way, whatever method you want to use to watch these on the bigger screen you'll have a better quality rip to watch.
    I agree with you for the most part, but quality, imo has many different variables. For example, some scene rips often differ based on the encoder and a 10gb rip may look worse than a 8gb rip.

Also, I never planned to view any of my downloads on the 42", I'll wait until I get a bluray player and burner and netflix to enjoy full hd
    Furthermore, I will be going off to college next year where I will have a 16" 1080p laptop, so the 3-2gb rips will be pretty much perfect

@hotshot6473, ur right about the loss of quality why would I want to upscale a DVD5orDVD9 DVDR when a 2-3gb bluray rip looks just the same?

9. Newsgroups   -   #29
    SonsOfLiberty's Avatar The Lonely Wanderer

@hotshot6473, ur right about the loss of quality why would I want to upscale a DVD5orDVD9 DVDR when a 2-3gb bluray rip looks just the same?
    Because then it's considered standard def, and the DVDR would look the same, if you want 720p the larger than DVD5 would be the hi-def, and I almost for certain can say you "would" see a difference.
    [center]

10. Newsgroups   -   #30
    Hmm I guess that could be but, as an example I compared a DVD5 copy of The Boondock Saints the 1.78gb encode The.Boondock.Saints.1999.m-HD.720p.x264-VALKiNTENSiVE and I would say the encode is quite a bit better

IMO opinion there are too many variables to say for certain if 720p encodes are better than DVD but I would definitely not call them standard def

Mainly I really like the encodes because they are a good compromise between size and quality.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast