Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: hd, nzb site...?

hotshot6473's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +1
    Well I guess if you have a very small TV or monitor it really doesn't matter. If it is a bandwidth issue then I say download whatever you can so you don't go over your cap. If there is no cap on your bandwidth there really isn't a good reason not to download a decent HD release.

2. Newsgroups   -   #32
    SonsOfLiberty's Avatar The Lonely Wanderer
    Quote Originally Posted by beansis View Post
    Hmm I guess that could be but, as an example I compared a DVD5 copy of The Boondock Saints the 1.78gb encode The.Boondock.Saints.1999.m-HD.720p.x264-VALKiNTENSiVE and I would say the encode is quite a bit better

IMO opinion there are too many variables to say for certain if 720p encodes are better than DVD but I would definitely not call them standard def

Mainly I really like the encodes because they are a good compromise between size and quality.

I can't tell a difference either to be honest and I have a pimp as monitor....But I backup most of my bought dvd's in xvid format and content that way, because I stream them to the 360 and looks fine to me I do have some HD rips that I did awhile back when/before my blu ray player/reader broke, so I'm glad I backup those up, because I would not be able to watch them, but I have the Dark Knight and Transformers and I must say they look alot clearer but I also, both are hovering 8GB, and comparing them to my "used" DVD purchase's of them, I can tell a difference sometimes, depends on how hard I'm looking....but most people say Bluray is the way there meant to be watched, but they said the same thing about DVD 5-8 years ago, and same ting about HDDVD So, yes if you have the setup get the best rips you can, if not, 720p will suffice most people, both of mine are in 720p and I would figure 1080p would be a huge jump, but I've yet to compare my rips or set down to rip them (sure I will once I get my reader back)....I probably didn't make any sense, sort of high
    [center]

3. Newsgroups   -   #33
    beansis's Avatar Pussy Liquor
    Quote Originally Posted by hotshot6473 View Post
    Well I guess if you have a very small TV or monitor it really doesn't matter. If it is a bandwidth issue then I say download whatever you can so you don't go over your cap. If there is no cap on your bandwidth there really isn't a good reason not to download a decent HD release.
    Well for me it actually is a bandwidth issue

@SonsOfLiberty

The one difference that I do notice is that the 720p rips that I have look better, and more clear, when put on DVD5 through ConvertXtoDVD than original DVD5 films . . . I have yet to try this with 1080p tho (on my 42", that is)

there is some difference between source and encode on my pc setup but it isn't the best so I'm just buying my time until I get a bluray player and burner so I can use my tv!

maybe the damm bluray blanks will be less expensive by then. . .
    Last edited by beansis; 08-04-2009 at 02:27 AM.

4. Newsgroups   -   #34
    there is some difference between source and encode on my pc setup but it isn't the best so I'm just buying my time until I get a bluray player and burner so I can use my tv!

I still can't figure out why you want to buy bluray blanks and burn releases when there's so many cheaper/easier/more efficient ways to watch these releases on your tv!!??

Enlighten us??

5. Newsgroups   -   #35
    Quote Originally Posted by EyeBaller View Post
    I still can't figure out why you want to buy bluray blanks and burn releases when there's so many cheaper/easier/more efficient ways to watch these releases on your tv!!??

Enlighten us??
    Well I guess you can call me a little paranoid but I would prefer to not to download unless I have to.

If I want to use by 1080p tv, then I would want to have PROPER quality, and not encodes or rips. This means that I would have to download 25gb/film. This would immediately use up my bandwidth and raise my isp's eyebrows. Also, I would have to purchase a popcorn hour or something of the like and pay for usenet and extra hdds.

I have been using the netflix method for a while with dvds and I might as well step it up to bluray since I will be getting a laptop with a bluray rom + burner. There really is no point in watching full bluray on my pc because I have a small screen so It's not like I need to have portable high quality rips with me. Smaller sized encodes suit me just fine.

bd-r are $3.50/ disk on newegg right now, so once prices come down a little more I'll pounce!

What are all these other ways that are "cheaper/easier/more efficient"?

6. Newsgroups   -   #36
    Poster BT Rep: +1
    Full BR are the best, 1080 and 720 rip are bad

7. Newsgroups   -   #37
    iLOVENZB's Avatar FST Crew BT Rep: +1
    Quote Originally Posted by antrax34130 View Post
    Full BR are the best, 1080 and 720 rip are bad
    Hmm because we all have 45GB spare for a movie?
    "Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music"

8. Newsgroups   -   #38
    What are all these other ways that are "cheaper/easier/more efficient"?
    I honestly doubt you'll be able to tell that much difference between a 1080p rip and the original bluray, even on a 42" screen, unless you are sitting a few inches away from it. If you are more than 4-5 feet away it's gonna look the same. I'd even challenge you to get a 720p rip, the 1080p rip and the original BRD and from a distance see if you can really tell the difference.

So the cheaper/easier/more efficient way would really be to
    1) Stream it directly from your current PC via hdmi - depending on how your place is set up this may or may not be an option - minimal cost to you, maybe need a new HDD for movie storage.
    2) Stream from a new HTPC - Good enough media PCs can be bought for <$500, if you're gonna spend a lot of money on a laptop with BR burner then this shouldn't be too much.
    3) Buy a popcorn hour and HDD and play that way. $215-300 with an HDD.

The best part is... you'd be using less than half the bandwidth (assuming a BR image is 25gb+, scene 1080p is DVD9 size) which is more efficient. It's cheaper in the long run since all the cost is hardware (HDDs are cheap, 1TB < $80-90 easily) not media and you can have many more movies than buying the BR burner and the blanks. It's easier and more efficient since you don't have to burn anything.

9. Newsgroups   -   #39
    SonsOfLiberty's Avatar The Lonely Wanderer
    Quote Originally Posted by EyeBaller View Post

Enlighten us??

I have to agree

Go spend a $100 and buy Popcorn hour, or WD My TV or something like that, and just hook that up to your TV with you 720p movies, very good method, of if you have a 360, just use TVersity and stream your 720p movie though that.

Of you can be like me sometimes and just plug you gfx card into your TV, I do that when I want to watch some of my old backup's and can't find my original dvds anyway (normally my buddies got them).

Your security on newsgroups is fine, unless maybe you download like 20 HD movies a day, use SSL, and then if your ISP wants to know, they will have to ask the provider, the provider will give up info, but it's not likely, there looking for people uploading these rips your are getting.

EyeBaller Sorry did not see your above post

Hell my buddies crappy laptop even has HDMI out.
    Last edited by SonsOfLiberty; 08-04-2009 at 04:01 PM.
    [center]

10. Newsgroups   -   #40
    Well you guys are probably right, but it still would be nice to have my own blu-ray library with all the cases and covers

Anyways its only a matter of time until blu-ray replaces dvds

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast