Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cd Roms Dead

lynx's Avatar .
    Originally posted by Acecool@13 September 2003 - 21:18
    restart and press delete till you get to bios

do the reset to optimized defaults or something, save and exist, boot up and see if that helped
    Re-read the first post, (s)he's already tried that.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #12
    Poster
    ok if i got the drivers from a friends machine, how would i get them into my windows? just copy them in? and to where? the system 32 file as suggested earlier?
    thasnks for your patience guys. and I'm a He. B)

3. Software & Hardware   -   #13
    Poster
    Oh yes, Lynx there are no other exclamation marks. The IDE ATA/ATAPI are fine.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #14
    lynx's Avatar .
    Search for existing copies of the files mentioned, and replace them with the ones copied from your friends machine. Make sure you keep a copy of the ones you replace - best suggestion is to rename them, for example rename cdrom.sys to Xcdrom.sys, immediately before you copy the new version.

Btw, if you have SP1 installed, make sure your friend has it installed too.

If any of the files won't rename, it probably means that part of the driver has been loaded so you shouldn't have to replace it.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #15
    zapjb's Avatar Computer Abuser BT Rep: +3
    Just a couple questions. About when was the last time both these drives worked? And did you recently install one of these drives? I'm thinking wrong jumpers & or wrong cable positions.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #16
    lynx's Avatar .
    Originally posted by zapjb@13 September 2003 - 23:16
    Just a couple questions. About when was the last time both these drives worked? And did you recently install one of these drives? I'm thinking wrong jumpers & or wrong cable positions.
    That's a good thought, but it can't apply in this situation. The drives are being recognised, which wouldn't be the case in the scenario you are thinking about, and the error is that the drivers can't be loaded.

Nice to see some alternative thinking though.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #17
    Poster
    EUREKA!!!!!!!!
    Sorted!!! I found in Windows Help a reference to "code 39" and it mentioned a known problem occuring when Easy CD Creater is uninstalled that corrupts the CD Rom drivers. I had to go into the Registry and delete some values from a file and BINGO it worked. Yipee.
    Thanks for all your help guys its been a very frustrating time but I got there and without your help and suggestions I wouldn't have been pointed in the right direction. So if anybody else removes ECDC BEWARE!!!! :beerchug:

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12