Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Uh-oh II...

clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    Oh, I see.
    A clearly intelligent man who has actually read Lincoln and thought about history likes to make references to a leader he obviously admires.
    What is he thinking?

Much better to approach your leadership idolatry like Bush, who thought Lincoln had something to do with developing logs.
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

2. The Drawing Room   -   #12
    j2k4's Avatar en(un)lightened
    Quote Originally Posted by clocker View Post
    Oh, I see.
    A clearly intelligent man who has actually read Lincoln and thought about history likes to make references to a leader he obviously admires.
    What is he thinking?

Much better to approach your leadership idolatry like Bush, who thought Lincoln had something to do with developing logs.
    "Clearly intelligent"?

By what measure?

Is he smarter than either of the Clintons?

Remember, you are talking about a man who thinks FDR ended the Great Depression, and nobody with an ounce of sense actually believes that.
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

3. The Drawing Room   -   #13
    You mean conservatives don't believe that and everyone else has no sense.

4. The Drawing Room   -   #14
    bigboab's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +1
    Quote Originally Posted by j2k4 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by bigboab View Post
    Are you going to have another civil war? It was secession that started the last one.
    Really?

Revisionist history currently has the "cart" of slavery placed before the "horse" of secession, somehow.

You can't really change history to suit a particular viewpopint. Slavery was the reason for the secession. Secession was the reason for the war. In that order. Or was it?
    The best way to keep a secret:- Tell everyone not to tell anyone.

5. The Drawing Room   -   #15
    HeavyMetalParkingLot's Avatar Poster
    Oh, I see.
    What is he thinking?
    Than apparently he didn't read this part...

"I will say here, while upon this subject, that I have no purpose, directly or indirectly, to interfere with the institution of slavery in the States where it exists. I believe I have no lawful right to do so, and I have no inclination to do so. I have no purpose to introduce political and social equality between the white and black races. There is a physical difference between the two, which, in my judgement, will probably forever forbid their living together upon the footing of perfect equality; and inasmuch as it becomes a necessity that there must be a difference, I, as well as Judge Douglas, am in favor of the race to which I belong having the superior position. I have never said anything to the contrary..." Abraham Lincoln: His Speeches and Writings, ed. Roy P. Basler (New York: Da Capo Press, 1990), p. 445

Then from the 4th debate with Stephen Douglas:

“I will say then that I am not, nor ever have been in favor of bringing
    about in anyway the social and political equality of the white and black
    races - that I am not nor ever have been in favor of making voters or
    jurors of negroes, nor of qualifying them to hold office, nor to intermarry
    with white people; and I will say in addition to this that there is a physical
    difference between the white and black races which I believe will forever
    forbid the two races living together on terms of social and political equality.
    And inasmuch as they cannot so live, while they do remain together there
    must be the position of superior and inferior, and I as much as any other
    man am in favor of having the superior position assigned to the white race.” - from ABRAHAM LINCOLN: COMPLETE WORKS, 1894, Vol. 1, page 273
    Last edited by HeavyMetalParkingLot; 02-24-2009 at 02:23 PM.

6. The Drawing Room   -   #16
    Quote Originally Posted by bigboab View Post

Really?

Revisionist history currently has the "cart" of slavery placed before the "horse" of secession, somehow.

You can't really change history to suit a particular viewpopint. Slavery was the reason for the secession. Secession was the reason for the war. In that order. Or was it?
    Exactly.
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

7. The Drawing Room   -   #17
    Oh, I see.
    What is he thinking?

"Clearly intelligent"?

By what measure?

Is he smarter than either of the Clintons?

Remember, you are talking about a man who thinks FDR ended the Great Depression, and nobody with an ounce of sense actually believes that.
    You mean conservatives don't believe that and everyone else has no sense.
    What I mean is liberals believe that it is not what you say, but how you look and sound when you say it.

Therein lies Obama's secret.
    Last edited by j2k4; 02-24-2009 at 08:11 PM.

-Mark Twain

8. The Drawing Room   -   #18

What I mean is liberals believe that it is not what you say, but how you look and sound when you say it.
    My, but you've become quite the expert on liberal thought lately, haven't you?
    "Not what you say but how you look and sound when you say it" is applicable to Limbaugh, Hannity and O'Reilly too, hmmm?

9. The Drawing Room   -   #19

My, but you've become quite the expert on liberal thought lately, haven't you?
    "Not what you say but how you look and sound when you say it" is applicable to Limbaugh, Hannity and O'Reilly too, hmmm?
    Not just lately, certainly, and how those three look or sound is generally a topic for whatever ridicule you can concoct-

-Limbaugh is fat and a drug addict-

-Hannity is a simple-minded jar-head-

-O'Reilly is a blow-hard-

-and ergo none of what they say has any credence.

Obama, on the other hand, is smooth...glib...literate...a great dresser...all that, and a mean outside jumper.

Well, then.

I guess that's all it takes for you guys, huh?

Take away his teleprompter and he's pretty fucking stupid, truth - in a league with a fellow named Bush, perhaps you've heard of him.
    Last edited by j2k4; 02-24-2009 at 11:12 PM.

-Mark Twain

10. The Drawing Room   -   #20
    This is boring.
    I get it...you don't like Obama and he's going to ruin America- if he hasn't already.
    With or without a teleprompter.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast