Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Help With Msn Messenger

Poster
    uve got windows messenger running, it gay to put it kindly! ders a utiliy on this site, that disable's it, get msn messenger 6 its bout 1000000000000 times better!

2. Software & Hardware   -   #12
    Got to agree with kunal, the prog it doesn´t only disable it, it gets rid of windows messenger totaly

3. Software & Hardware   -   #13
    iMartin's Avatar ♥Home Grown♥ BT Rep: +9BT Rep +9
    How to uninstall MSN Messenger from XP, from mess.be

1) Run XP Antispy (download it HERE)
    2) Go to your MSN Messenger directory (probably "c:\program files\messenger").
    3) Choose the option "Uninstall completely" and press Ready followed by OK.

A second method, without the involvement of any third party software:

1) Go to Start > Run
    2) Type this exact commando (you might wanna copy paste):

RunDll32 advpack.dll,LaunchINFSection %windir%\INF\msmsgs.inf,BLC.Remove.

3) Oh my God, you killed Windows Messenger!

Last but not least you can apply this PATCH, found at The Register and made by an anonymous msn hater

After you uninstall it, try to install it agian, only get MSN Messenger 6.1 HERE

4. Software & Hardware   -   #14
    I guess i should have researched it first.

"Tip: When you sign in to Messenger, it remembers every email address/.net passport that you signed in under. To remove
    an item from the list of remembered names: Start/Run/control userpasswords2. Advanced/Manager Passwords.

Tip: Easiest method to disable Messenger: C:\Program Files\Messenger and either rename the Messenger folder to
    something like "MessengerOLD" or just move it.

Remove Messenger from XP

Start/Run/RunDll32 advpack.dll,LaunchINFSection %windir%\INF\msmsgs.inf,BLC.Remove

Disable Messenger

Start/Run/gpedit.msc/Admistrative Templates/Windows Components/Windows Messenger. Alter your settings in the right pane. (For Pro)

Stop Windows Messenger from Auto-Starting

Simply delete the following Registry Key:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run\MSMSGS

Uninstall Messenger

You have to edit sysoc.inf (located in /WINDOWS/inf). Under [Components] you should see the following line:
    msmsgs=ocgen.dll,OcEntry,msmsgs.inf,hide,7. Take the word 'hide' out of the line, and it should look like this:
    msmsgs=ocgen.dll,OcEntry,msmsgs.inf,,7. Exit and save.

Go to Add or Remove Programs, and click on Add/Remove Windows Components. There you should now be able to uncheck the MSN Messenger Service, and by clicking Next it will uninstall.

Remove MSN Messenger from Outlook Express and Prevent the Delay

Start/Run/Regedit

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Outlook Express. Value Name: Hide Messenger, Data Type: REG_DWORD (DWORD Value), Value Data: (2 = remove messenger). Create a new DWORD value, or modify the existing value, called 'Hide Messenger' and set the value to 2.

Exit your registry, you may need to restart or log out of Windows for the change to take effect."

5. Software & Hardware   -   #15
    sparsely's Avatar °¤°¤°¤°¤°¤°¤°
    Now you're the local MSN Messenger guru.
    You're obligated to help everyone with questions.
    Congratulations on the research.

this post is guaranteed 100% parrot-free

6. Software & Hardware   -   #16
    Originally posted by Sparsely@22 September 2003 - 19:02
    Who? Me? or Russo?

7. Software & Hardware   -   #17
    MediaSlayer's Avatar slowly going deaf
    Originally posted by Russo@23 September 2003 - 00:53
    I guess i should have researched it first.

"Tip: When you sign in to Messenger, it remembers every email address/.net passport that you signed in under. To remove
    an item from the list of remembered names: Start/Run/control userpasswords2. Advanced/Manager Passwords.

Tip: Easiest method to disable Messenger: C:\Program Files\Messenger and either rename the Messenger folder to
    something like "MessengerOLD" or just move it.

Remove Messenger from XP

Start/Run/RunDll32 advpack.dll,LaunchINFSection %windir%\INF\msmsgs.inf,BLC.Remove

Disable Messenger

Start/Run/gpedit.msc/Admistrative Templates/Windows Components/Windows Messenger. Alter your settings in the right pane. (For Pro)

Stop Windows Messenger from Auto-Starting

Simply delete the following Registry Key:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run\MSMSGS

Uninstall Messenger

You have to edit sysoc.inf (located in /WINDOWS/inf). Under [Components] you should see the following line:
    msmsgs=ocgen.dll,OcEntry,msmsgs.inf,hide,7. Take the word 'hide' out of the line, and it should look like this:
    msmsgs=ocgen.dll,OcEntry,msmsgs.inf,,7. Exit and save.

Go to Add or Remove Programs, and click on Add/Remove Windows Components. There you should now be able to uncheck the MSN Messenger Service, and by clicking Next it will uninstall.

Remove MSN Messenger from Outlook Express and Prevent the Delay

Start/Run/Regedit

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Outlook Express. Value Name: Hide Messenger, Data Type: REG_DWORD (DWORD Value), Value Data: (2 = remove messenger). Create a new DWORD value, or modify the existing value, called 'Hide Messenger' and set the value to 2.

Exit your registry, you may need to restart or log out of Windows for the change to take effect."
    ok can u dumb this one down for me please?? basically i'm gonna install gaim, which supports aim,msn messenger,ect... I don't want to delete messenger, I just want to upgrade to msnmessenger ver6.0 and clean it up if it does stupid things. I followed the [/QUOTE]Start/Run/control userpasswords2. Advanced/Manager Passwords.
    [QUOTE]link and it isn't remembering any e-mail addys or .net passport logins so that's good. Any advice would be appreciated.

sending fiery missiles in manker's japan's general direction.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #18
    sparsely's Avatar °¤°¤°¤°¤°¤°¤°
    Originally posted by [-Crono-
    Who? Me? or Russo? [/b][/quote]
    yes.

this post is guaranteed 100% parrot-free

9. Software & Hardware   -   #19
    Originally posted by Sparsely+23 September 2003 - 19:17--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Sparsely @ 23 September 2003 - 19:17)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-[&#045;Crono&#045;
    Now you&#39;re the local MSN Messenger guru.
    You&#39;re obligated to help everyone with questions.
    Congratulations on the research.�
    Who? Me? or Russo? [/b][/quote]
    yes. [/b][/quote]

10. Software & Hardware   -   #20

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12