Page 3 of 27 FirstFirst 12345613 ... LastLast

Thread: why not switch to usenet?

flashback3r's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +3
    Well I have tried usenet and it is nothing wrong with it. But I have to say that I understand those who like bittorrent more.

I personally like p2p, if I'm sharing with ppl I like (like a trusted tracker with nice ppl). And the BIG con with usenet is the cost. It hurts the old wallet lol and I think it feels wrong to pay for something like that, if I wanted to pay I'd rather it go to the right ppl like artists and shit It is so comersial and feels wrong. If you are willing to pay, why not buy? And it was hard to find old, rare files which I found on bittorrent trackers.
    RIP Swebits <3

2. BitTorrent   -   #22
    I'm staff,kiss m ass BT Rep: +1
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeHD View Post
    I must acknowledge that some of you just cannot afford $11/month [...]. I'm not directing this at you, but at those who could go with usenet, but choose torrents.
    So why not pay for teh fucking media you consume

3. BitTorrent   -   #23
    BANNED BT Rep: +18BT Rep +18BT Rep +18BT Rep +18
    Quote Originally Posted by KFlint View Post
    You sometimes have to repair rars on older newsgroup releases, that's probably the reason. If you have the par files and enough data blocks, an app like quick par will repair it in a couple minutes. I rarely have to.

And you should consider Astraweb instead of Giganews, they have the same retention and it's like 10$ cheaper a month.
    I wonder one thing, do files differ on usenet based on the site you subscribe to? I wonder whether there are different files on each usenet provider or not. Or they all provide the same files but just another provider. Just curious. Thank you btw.

4. BitTorrent   -   #24
    Quote Originally Posted by Villalltheway View Post
    I dont know i just think its a a matter of time before the authorities come after usenet. Also it does not sit right with me the fact u have to pay for a service to get illegal stuff, means someone is profiting from this which makes it even more dodgy for me.
    The profit component is more direct and widespread with usenet, but I'm sure that most mainstream torrent sites are filled with seedboxes, at the very least those of the original uploaders, so a hosting company is still profiting from the sharing of those illegal files you're downloading. Likewise, the servers the site is actually hosted on is profiting and so are the ISPs of the users who just sold you that high bandwidth cable. I concede that the corporate atmosphere in usenet is more prevalent and may leave a worse taste in your mouth, but thought I'd point this out for what it's worth.

I don't pay for all the media I consume because I can't afford all of it and I don't keep anything, since I watch it once. My plans for the future, well after school and student loans and a house is all sorted, is to buy a nice collection of bluray films. The difference in paying $10-30 a month to download all you want and paying for all the media is obvious and your argument's implication, that one who is willing to pay something for media ought to pay for all their media at full retail presumes too much.
    Last edited by mikeHD; 04-22-2009 at 08:38 PM.

5. BitTorrent   -   #25
    Skiz's Avatar (_8(I)
    Quote Originally Posted by Villalltheway View Post
    I dont know i just think its a a matter of time before the authorities come after usenet. Also it does not sit right with me the fact u have to pay for a service to get illegal stuff, means someone is profiting from this which makes it even more dodgy for me.
    As long as their are two servers sharing files, Usenet will exist.

And how is it "dodgy" that someone makes money from it? It's an incredibly expensive service to provide if done properly and the cost is minimal to the end user.

You pay for your internet, don't you?

Quote Originally Posted by bilkenter View Post
    I used usenext for usenet services, i heard that giganews was a good one yet never tried it because my first experience with usenet sucked. Anyway i downloaded three files from usenext, 2 games and one documentary about hitler. None of them actually worked. There was problem with both games, and There was an extraction problem regarding documentary.
    I heard that Usenext was just a scam site.

Anyhow, we have ads for the reputable services right here on the site. Just click one of those and use it. Some will give you a discount if you put FST as the referral as well.
    Last edited by Skizo; 04-22-2009 at 08:48 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

yo

6. BitTorrent   -   #26
    KFlint's Avatar ... BT Rep: +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35
    Quote Originally Posted by bilkenter View Post
    I wonder one thing, do files differ on usenet based on the site you subscribe to? I wonder whether there are different files on each usenet provider or not. Or they all provide the same files but just another provider. Just curious. Thank you btw.
    Files are the same on any newsgroups server with binaries. What changes is retention time, files can be hosted from 7 days to 365 days. That's a huge difference in term of content available. I often download releases that are more than 150 days old, so I would probably not be that satisfied with a news server with short retention time.

Giganews and Astraweb have 365 days retention now. That's your best bet.

7. BitTorrent   -   #27
    7th's Avatar the brazilian guy BT Rep: +1
    I tried usenet once but with a "free test account"... it was like 10gb of download... I used only 2gb to download what I wanted and forgot about it =/

Someone here knows where I could find something like this? I would test and in case of finding something new that I can't find with torrents, I would pay for it =/

8. BitTorrent   -   #28
    Poster BT Rep: +8BT Rep +8
    read this news two weeks ago, let's see how this goes.
    MPA Set to Challenge Newzbin Usenet Indexer in Court

http://torrentfreak.com/mpa-set-to-c...-court-090407/

9. BitTorrent   -   #29
    Skiz's Avatar (_8(I)
    Quote Originally Posted by johhn View Post
    read this news two weeks ago, let's see how this goes.
    MPA Set to Challenge Newzbin Usenet Indexer in Court

http://torrentfreak.com/mpa-set-to-c...-court-090407/
    I've been paying attention to that, but surely Newzbin will win. They run a site, which hosts files, which are links, to other files, which hosted on another server.

Quote Originally Posted by 7th View Post
    I tried usenet once but with a "free test account"... it was like 10gb of download... I used only 2gb to download what I wanted and forgot about it =/

Someone here knows where I could find something like this? I would test and in case of finding something new that I can't find with torrents, I would pay for it =/
    Giganews 2 week free trial
    Last edited by Skizo; 04-23-2009 at 01:53 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

yo

10. BitTorrent   -   #30
    7th's Avatar the brazilian guy BT Rep: +1
    Thanks Skizo. I'll take a look when I have the time cause I also need to ckeck some tutorials to remember how things are done!

Page 3 of 27 FirstFirst 12345613 ... LastLast