Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Windows xp pro problem

peat moss's Avatar Software Farmer BT Rep: +15BT Rep +15BT Rep +15
    So it works now ? That's good news Grumpy , I did some searching and found a how to for updating firmware . Might help someone else in the future .

http://support.iprimus.com.au/index....543&Itemid=203

http://www.netcomm.com.au/support
    Last edited by peat moss; 05-18-2009 at 12:41 PM.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #22
    Member BT Rep: +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30
    Quote Originally Posted by Grumpybear2000 View Post
    Just got computer back from shop still nothing found wrong with computer, waiting to hear back from netcomm
    I would have fixed that issue for you. They don't know what they are doing whereever you took it.

First of all if can you access sites by IP?

If you can, then it's DNS. Your DNS must be hijacked by malware. Can you access the sites in safe mode with networking. Have you reset all your IE settings to defaults and have you tried a winsock fix? I would run dial-a-fix with all options enabled, I would run smitfraudfix and combofix and if that doesn't fix it last but no least I would reinstall the nework card drivers.

Also to prevent this from happenign again, you should be installing your security software as soon as you load the OS.

Also tools like hijackthis can tell you if you have dns redirect malware. But really the tools that I mentioned above should get you going if not reinstalling the network card driver should. Smitfraudfix checks and cleans your host and lmhost file if it has been altered. Dial-A-Fix fixes windows updates issues, windows installer issues, issues where important windows files are not properly registered, it also does a winsock fix. But you have to click the little hammer to go to the tools menu where you can reset all network settings as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Grumpybear2000 View Post
    Ok over the weekend we connected 2 of my computers to my son in laws internet service and guess what both computer worked spot on. Next we took out his modem and connected mine in place of his, he is running Vista and it would not even look like starting or doing anything wouldnt even reconized the modem at all. After it tried loading up popped a message saying malware error and wouldnt doing anything more. We retried again same error, next we updated the firmware and retried to log to the internet, and fired up and connected in seconds. That proves netcomm nb6 modems can be infected with malware.
    But is this the first time it happened? Where you using the same firmware before? That's kind of messed up how a modem can be infected with malware? It's a good call to update the firmware but still, I would probably ask my ISP for a different modem if that's the case. Also maybe all you really needed to do was reset your modem/router settings to defaults and reconfigure anything you need to configure.
    Last edited by saulin; 05-18-2009 at 03:05 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

3. Software & Hardware   -   #23
    Frankthetank1's Avatar Über User BT Rep: +25BT Rep +25BT Rep +25BT Rep +25BT Rep +25
    u ever try hijack this? it is really good and they will help u untill your problem is fixed. You usually need a valid copy of windows though or just make sure the name of it isnt the name of a pirated version of windows in the logs u send them.

http://download.cnet.com/Trend-Micro...-10227353.html
    Last edited by Frankthetank1; 05-18-2009 at 08:57 PM.
    “Just because you’re miserable doesn’t mean you can’t enjoy your life.”

DO NOT RANDOMLY PM ME ASKING FOR INVITES!

4. Software & Hardware   -   #24
    lynx's Avatar .
    Don't you just wish people would read the thread before running off at the mouth (or in this case keyboard).
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123