Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Does going No-Ratio really help peer activity?

If users hitting and running on sites that have minimum seed times, then they're just bad users, ratio or no ratio.
    I don't expect the smaller no ratio sites to have more of an archive of torrents. With no ratio, there's no real incentive to seed for longer than the minimum time required (unless you want to be seen as a good user by the staff). And with a smaller user base, there's not going to be many peers.
    I thought the point of no-ratio was to help make it easier for the user, not necessarily increase peer activity. High peer activity just depends on how much the users love/use the site.

2. BitTorrent   -   #32
    BANNED
    cause ftn is soo l33t ?

3. BitTorrent   -   #33
    IMHO people with extreme ratio's on sites are the ones that do damage to them and I have been preaching this for yrs.
    OK you all want to know why I guess, think about it and see if you can figure it out? of course there is an exception to the rule of hi ratio's and that's uploaders
    Sorry cannot give any prizes for right answer but will be good to see who can work it out.
    http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b36/Duckster666/DUCK.png
    Not looking for anything
    There are 10 kinds of people who know binary. Those who do, and those who don't.

4. BitTorrent   -   #34
    Intr4ns1t's Avatar Pro-antinegativist BT Rep: +4
    Quote Originally Posted by Duckater View Post
    IMHO people with extreme ratio's on sites are the ones that do damage to them and I have been preaching this for yrs.
    OK you all want to know why I guess, think about it and see if you can figure it out? of course there is an exception to the rule of hi ratio's and that's uploaders
    Sorry cannot give any prizes for right answer but will be good to see who can work it out.
    Because it breaks the system. There will always be a global ratio on every tracker of 1:1(real traffic I mean) and every person that uploads five times the size of the file they snatched is making it impossible for four other people to get ANY upload on something they grab.
    Quote Originally Posted by KFlint
    Think 9 is the new 10.

5. BitTorrent   -   #35
    Yes Intr4ns1 and you was one I guessed would get it right but to be honest was hoping a few others would have tried 1st
    I do discourage high ratio's and as rue try and keep mine on sites between 1.0 and 1.2 it is higher on sites where I have mostly uploaded and one other large tracker where I seeded old torrents that either had no seeders or just the odd one.
    But I do tend to keep things for an eternity lol
    Retention of torrents on a site is one way I judge a site these days as I think it shows how it is run and what the members are like weather ratio free or not. A site that is say over 2 yrs old with torrents that are over 100 weeks to me has done well and clearly got right people involved all the way thru it

I must admit it is good to find like minded people on ratio aspects but to be fair I don't think ratio free would work for us.
    Not looking for anything
    There are 10 kinds of people who know binary. Those who do, and those who don't.

6. BitTorrent   -   #36
    IdolEyes787's Avatar Persona non grata
    How is it possible to maintain a relatively low ratio and still seed for a long time?

I mean after a while you're the only one seeding and there is no point to limiting upload then.
    Last edited by IdolEyes787; 09-11-2009 at 11:02 PM.

7. BitTorrent   -   #37
    Intr4ns1t's Avatar Pro-antinegativist BT Rep: +4
    Quote Originally Posted by Duckater
    Yes Intr4ns1 and you was one I guessed would get it right but to be honest was hoping a few others would have tried 1st
    I do discourage high ratio's and as rue try and keep mine on sites between 1.0 and 1.2 it is higher on sites where I have mostly uploaded and one other large tracker where I seeded old torrents that either had no seeders or just the odd one.
    But I do tend to keep things for an eternity lol
    Retention of torrents on a site is one way I judge a site these days as I think it shows how it is run and what the members are like weather ratio free or not. A site that is say over 2 yrs old with torrents that are over 100 weeks to me has done well and clearly got right people involved all the way thru it

I must admit it is good to find like minded people on ratio aspects but to be fair I don't think ratio free would work for us.
    I really tried to wait to post, I swear

Quote Originally Posted by idoleyes787 View Post
    how is it possible to maintain a relatively low ratio and still seed for a long time?

I mean after a while you're the only one seeding and there is no point to limiting upload then.

leeeech moooooar!!!!
    Last edited by Intr4ns1t; 09-11-2009 at 11:06 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by KFlint
    Think 9 is the new 10.

8. BitTorrent   -   #38
    IdolEyes787's Avatar Persona non grata
    I knew that but it was either post some shit here or do the dishes.

9. BitTorrent   -   #39
    kallieb's Avatar Spamaholic BT Rep: +4
    I'm temporarily stuck with an extremely crappy connection that disconnects like crazy and is slow at the best of times. Because of this, I've limited myself to snatching torrents from those sites that offer a no or share-ratio system. The caps my ISP places on my b/w and speed makes it impossible to establish any kind of ratio no mater how hard I try, or how long I seed.

When I had a decent connection, I never thought twice before about whether a site had a ratio system in place because I would just seed back for as long as required, or upload requests - all those things members should just do

Now that I can't maintain a ratio, I've come to appreciate greatly those sites where they realize that being a good member is not just about ratio - but about keeping seeds active even if there isn't activity, or showing appreciation to the uploaders by snatching their torrents, packs, etc.

On this latter point, imho, supporting uploaders and seeding back for minimum times is really what should be encouraged. If the uploaders are going to put in the effort to make and seed packs, or quality rips, then efforts need to be made to encourage members to use what the site has to offer.

The obsession with bytes given in proportion to bytes taken has to be eased up. Not everyone has a seedbox or unlimited bandwith. Sites that make themselves available to all members with a range of connections and sharing abililties is what should be encouraed. If ratio-free is the means to encourage members to use the site, cool. But it can also come from not dropping the ban-hammer solely on ratio, or to give some consideration to the effort a member makes to at least give something back to the site by whatever means they can.

.... just my two cents
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

10. BitTorrent   -   #40
    Do the dishes then
    But on a serious note I have had arguements with some site owners in the past that could not see that over seeding uploads on there site was bad for them in this day and age with new sites opening up all the time.
    One owner even said to me it encourages people to donate wtf if you provide them with what they want they more likely to donate

Kallieb we use a seed bonus system and have a seed time the bonus is reasonable fair and the staff know who are good users and if they have problems the staff send them points or help out on there ratio so they are fine. Site is 2 1/2 yrs old now and all staff have been on site for well over a yr and only odd staffer been staff for less than one yr.
    At current time we are over staffed so feel that even if a few do decide to leave we have the staff who understand how we work and want the site run, we are quiet relaxed and friendly but will not be taken for fools.
    I have been on sites and seen people banned warned for the slightest thing, even for stopping to seed while un raring a torrent.
    Last edited by Duckater; 09-11-2009 at 11:22 PM.
    Not looking for anything

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast