Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Isnt It Time We Developed Our Own P2p Network

Originally posted by infamousalbo101+5 October 2003 - 05:05--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (infamousalbo101 @ 5 October 2003 - 05:05)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
    Originally posted by junkyardking@5 October 2003 - 05:51
    <!--QuoteBegin-infamousalbo101
    @5 October 2003 - 04:27
    it wouldnt be possble it would have been done by now

That doesnt make any sense, open source programs are everywhere bittorent is a good example.
    yea but open sourced p2p progs cant connect to fasttrack [/b][/quote]
    It&#39;s not about connecting to the fastracknetwork, it&#39;s about creating a new one which could be based on fastrack.

I dont know the user figures for kazaa lite clients vs KMD but if it was only say 10% based on an example figure of 10,000,000 that would be 1,000,000 , you could even continue support for kazaa lite but put more focus on the open source client and convince users to shift over and even stopping support for kazaa lite once the program was stable enough.

My 2cents anyway B)

2. File Sharing   -   #12
    Originally posted by Switeck@5 October 2003 - 05:09
    Lots of people may want this, but basically nobody (here) knows how to do it... me included.

At best, I can give the occassional good idea and point to examples of what NOT to do.
    Of course it up to the programmers.

3. File Sharing   -   #13
    asmithz's Avatar Hi-Definition
    Paul has already said its to much work, and no one wants to take up this project.

4. File Sharing   -   #14
    That&#39;s a great ideat&#33;&#33;. Take Open source of OSes. Redhat and so on they are way better than close source Micro&#036;crap OSes. This would be great because it&#39;ll let many people improve it. I would totaly change to opensource P2P B)

5. File Sharing   -   #15
    i think we don&#39;t have the devs to do it...

6. File Sharing   -   #16
    asmithz's Avatar Hi-Definition
    Originally posted by RileyF@5 October 2003 - 02:01
    i think we don&#39;t have the devs to do it...
    Again i will say this has been brote up before. Someone made a post asking for someone to do this and there was no one.

7. File Sharing   -   #17
    Well thats put a bullet through that idea&#33; I didnt know bittorent was opensource though. May go check it out&#33;

8. File Sharing   -   #18
    Poster
    The whole fasttrack network is based on the Gnutella network -- and advanced on it by adding supernodes. But the Gnutella network has since added UltraPeers, Alt-locs (uploaders and downloaders report OTHERS who are sharing the 1 file they are all trying to get), partial file sharing (using tiger tree hashes&#33, and has better firewall/router support than Kazaa.

Gnucleus is an open-source client on the network with practially all the above features in it. Were we to take the latest version of that, then change it slightly so its default values (and min/max values) give better results -- then it&#39;d just be a matter of getting people using it before we&#39;d have a much better network than Fasttrack. As more people understand some/much of its code, then we could update it to keep up with other Gnutella clients and fix whatever bugs remain in it.

9. File Sharing   -   #19
    exactly switeck&#33; could we please get some responses from the developers on the board please??

10. File Sharing   -   #20
    Forum Star
    Nobody is going to spent time developing a new client for the FastTrack network. Main reason is that the network is inferior to other network.

The only reason people still use it is because of the enormous userbase.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast