Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678

Thread: So where does my life go from here?

Funkin''s Avatar home skillet BT Rep: +4
    I pm'd the both of you with links.

2. BitTorrent   -   #72
    The_Martinator's Avatar I is posting MACHINE BT Rep: +6BT Rep +6
    Quote Originally Posted by Albo Da Kid View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by megabyteme View Post
    Albo,

You still seem to have sympathies for occasional/"a few" trades. I still (and probably will always) stick to the analogy of a tracker being someone's house (the site owner(s) and staff). Trading (any) is a violation of that house. While I would not equate trading to feeling up someone's wife, I would probably place it somewhere around kicking their dog.

I would not tolerate anyone kicking my dog. Not even once. They just would not be welcome after that. If I decided to forgive them, they would be on very thin ice from that point on...
    I agree that breaking a site's rules by trading is disrespectful to the tracker owner, especially if the user in question has violated more than once...Although I don't think it's disrespectuf enough to go around and global ban him or end that users BT career over a simple mistake.

I know it's a lot easier to give somebody the boot and shut the door, than to take time and talk to that user into becoming a good member in the future...
    I feel that if i was to show comfort to a trader by talking to him, giving him a couple of invites, show him that trading is not the easy way out..that person will understand and take my advice and change paths in the future

We have to understand that most traders don't know many people in the BT community like we do and it's a little harder for them to get into the trackers that they want to get in, therefore taking the easy way out(trading) seems more convenient to them
    Although I bet that if 90% of them knew how things worked, they wouldn't result to trading

What i'm saying is that ignorance leads to making the wrong moves, and punishing them will only lead to more confusion. I'd rather enlighten them
    The easiest ay to enlighten them would be if FST got rid of the trading section and said clearly that trading is not allowed and also not tolerated. That's the ideal way.

However I have come up with a solution: what about putting a sticky in the trade section saying something like: ''Trading may cause serious problems, you may find yourself without any account, etc.'' Just a general warning type of thing...

Allthough, tbh, this section is filled with examples of what can happen when one trades, yet people still do it. Maybe my solution could help a few, though.
    I'm back. The downside is that I'm also old now.

3. BitTorrent   -   #73
    megabyteme's Avatar RASPBERRY RIPPLE BT Rep: +19BT Rep +19BT Rep +19BT Rep +19
    Martinator- great idea! I think that a section header (not just a sticky) would be of benefit. I have talked to some new people over the past few months who truly had no idea that trading was a BT social taboo. They just wanted into the sites and thought that would be a "fair" way to do it. And, as an outsider, why would new people expect to get invites for free? A lot of good people expect to give something for something received in the real world, why not online.

Albo, very nice post! I think that communicating with the new users is the absolute best thing we can do for the community. And I truly hope that you continue with the efforts!

However, this is a social network and norms must be upheld. We need to respect the tracker rules. Period. If we (BT users) are to go around and hand out invites to known traders (even to just help them out) we are, helping that/those individual(s) to circumvent site rules. We, rightfully, deserve to face punishment ourselves. Especially if we make it our mission to "help" people who have only made a mistake or two.

When someone screws up, they need to face punishment- whether they were ignorant or not. If they have gotten into trouble at a certain tracker, they need to face that punishment at that tracker.

The global ban is another issue, but it is not handed out lightly. It is used for egregious incidents or a history of inappropriate actions. And, as you know, it is possible to talk to the individual trackers and plead your case. It is a lot of work for the individual and the tracker, but is necessary when people do things that seriously violate the community.

Individuals need to resolve their issues with the site(s) that were violated. Otherwise, we are essentially aiding and a bedding a "fugitive". That is serious IRL, and in any other community.
    Quote Originally Posted by IdolEyes787 View Post
    Ghey lumberjacks, wolverines, blackflies in the summer, polar bears in the winter, that's basically Canada in a nutshell.

4. BitTorrent   -   #74
    cinephilia's Avatar I don't like you BT Rep: +10BT Rep +10
    I know it's a lot easier to give somebody the boot and shut the door, than to take time and talk to that user into becoming a good member in the future...
    in most cases, traders are simply hopeless cause they are stubborn, greedy kids but thankfully, there are also some good apples.
    2 or 3 days ago, i posted in the trade section for the lulz and really, i didn't expect to receive a single pm (actually, i got plenty of trade propositions); one of them provided me with 3 unedited profile screenshots from renowned trackers he donated to. i could have make him banned easily but the guy was cool enough to deserve a chance (anyhow, who am i to get someone banned from his trackers?).
    in the end, i talked a bit and gave him a couple of advices; i think and i hope he will make a good bt user from now on.
    whenever people agree with me, i always feel i must be wrong.

5. BitTorrent   -   #75
    The_Martinator's Avatar I is posting MACHINE BT Rep: +6BT Rep +6
    Quote Originally Posted by cinephilia View Post
    in most cases, traders are simply hopeless cause they are stubborn, greedy kids but thankfully, there are also some good apples.
    2 or 3 days ago, i posted in the trade section for the lulz and really, i didn't expect to receive a single pm (actually, i got plenty of trade propositions); one of them provided me with 3 unedited profile screenshots from renowned trackers he donated to. i could have make him banned easily but the guy was cool enough to deserve a chance (anyhow, who am i to get someone banned from his trackers?).
    in the end, i talked a bit and gave him a couple of advices; i think and i hope he will make a good bt user from now on.
    Stand back people, this guy's the freaking messiah!!

Seriously, good to hear, mate.
    I'm back. The downside is that I'm also old now.

6. BitTorrent   -   #76
    cinephilia's Avatar I don't like you BT Rep: +10BT Rep +10
    whenever people agree with me, i always feel i must be wrong.

7. BitTorrent   -   #77
    Quote Originally Posted by cinephilia View Post
    Cine creates the new BT program called "Scared Straight".

Nice job, Cine!
    Ghey lumberjacks, wolverines, blackflies in the summer, polar bears in the winter, that's basically Canada in a nutshell.

8. BitTorrent   -   #78
    sez's Avatar c0V3r3Ð iN Ba57ArÐ BT Rep: +23BT Rep +23BT Rep +23BT Rep +23BT Rep +23
    Martinator- great idea! I think that a section header (not just a sticky) would be of benefit. I have talked to some new people over the past few months who truly had no idea that trading was a BT social taboo. They just wanted into the sites and thought that would be a "fair" way to do it. And, as an outsider, why would new people expect to get invites for free? A lot of good people expect to give something for something received in the real world, why not online.

Albo, very nice post! I think that communicating with the new users is the absolute best thing we can do for the community. And I truly hope that you continue with the efforts!

However, this is a social network and norms must be upheld. We need to respect the tracker rules. Period. If we (BT users) are to go around and hand out invites to known traders (even to just help them out) we are, helping that/those individual(s) to circumvent site rules. We, rightfully, deserve to face punishment ourselves. Especially if we make it our mission to "help" people who have only made a mistake or two.

When someone screws up, they need to face punishment- whether they were ignorant or not. If they have gotten into trouble at a certain tracker, they need to face that punishment at that tracker.

The global ban is another issue, but it is not handed out lightly. It is used for egregious incidents or a history of inappropriate actions. And, as you know, it is possible to talk to the individual trackers and plead your case. It is a lot of work for the individual and the tracker, but is necessary when people do things that seriously violate the community.

Individuals need to resolve their issues with the site(s) that were violated. Otherwise, we are essentially aiding and a bedding a "fugitive". That is serious IRL, and in any other community.
    That's quite alot coming from a pirate
    i wonder what the RIAA thinks when they stumble upon such reads

9. BitTorrent   -   #79
    Quote Originally Posted by sez View Post
    I am quite certain they would prefer to think of us as unorganized and non-communal. I would say we are anything but.

Edit- And I am sure they love my sig also. !!!
    Last edited by megabyteme; 10-02-2009 at 02:51 PM. Reason: :)

10. BitTorrent   -   #80
    sez's Avatar c0V3r3Ð iN Ba57ArÐ BT Rep: +23BT Rep +23BT Rep +23BT Rep +23BT Rep +23
    Quote Originally Posted by sez View Post
    I am quite certain they would prefer to think of us as unorganized and non-communal. I would say we are anything but.

Edit- And I am sure they love my sig also. !!!
    for real no wonder the feds pay more attention to the scene than to us.If only they knew..not

PS:Am getting ideas of a rant off.See you in a few

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678