Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: In fond memory of

sez's Avatar c0V3r3Ð iN Ba57ArÐ BT Rep: +23BT Rep +23BT Rep +23BT Rep +23BT Rep +23
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oink's_Pink_Palace

Quote Originally Posted by Alien5 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by pro267 View Post
    Oink was a very good music tracker. Some may call it over-moderated, but that's just the thing though - when you've downloaded something from Oink, you'd know it was a properly encoded release, otherwise it would've been deleted by staff.

On the downside, it's hardly a secret that some of the staffers at Oink were arseholes. All that cute animal avatar thing and total disrespect for the privacy of other trackers really tainted what would otherwise be an optimal resource for music on the web.

By the way, does anyone follow the news and know what's going on with OiNK himself nowadays?
    apparently Oink's been in n out of the Courthouse more times than Swepsycho's prostitute mother.
    Honestly you didn't have to.Its not even funny and worse from a person who was born before the moon landings.
    Last edited by sez; 10-17-2009 at 05:25 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

2. BitTorrent   -   #42
    pro267's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +7BT Rep +7
    Thanks for the references.

Whether you liked him or not, the man now faces charges for bringing us lot music for free. Let's hope he'll weather the storm.
    546f74616c6c792072616e646f6d20746578742e20416d617a696e671f20696e6e69742e

3. BitTorrent   -   #43
    ..... BT Rep: +2
    I never got to enjoy the site itself but I hope anyone facing a victimless crime is not prosecuted harshly to scare others. Hopefully they mess up the evidence like TPB . I hope the guy does walk out OK. The anti P2P companies/lawyers are trying to make a Rep and a dollar for themselves.
    Last edited by pone44; 10-17-2009 at 06:47 PM.

4. BitTorrent   -   #44
    sear's Avatar Feeling Clamy BT Rep: +3
    Wow, all the hostility in this thread just because someone wanted to commemorate what really was a pioneering site. I know the reason I got into torrents is because I read about Oink in a magazine and it got me curious. But honestly guys why not let people pay their respects? What's wrong with that? The sniping I see in this thread and in others around here lately has just completely turned me off this forum, and the people who are instigating it. I used to enjoy reading this section even the flame battles but lately it seems as if it's been taken over by little children that are just bickering for the sake of it. I'm sure I'll get flamed by someone for this post but I really don't care. Wake up to yourselves, you may think it's funny to act like an arsehole but it's just sad.

5. BitTorrent   -   #45
    sheriff 01's Avatar Safety First! BT Rep: +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100
    Quote Originally Posted by sear View Post
    Wow, all the hostility in this thread just because someone wanted to commemorate what really was a pioneering site. I know the reason I got into torrents is because I read about Oink in a magazine and it got me curious. But honestly guys why not let people pay their respects? What's wrong with that? The sniping I see in this thread and in others around here lately has just completely turned me off this forum, and the people who are instigating it. I used to enjoy reading this section even the flame battles but lately it seems as if it's been taken over by little children that are just bickering for the sake of it. I'm sure I'll get flamed by someone for this post but I really don't care. Wake up to yourselves, you may think it's funny to act like an arsehole but it's just sad.
    This is a forum for discussion and in a discussion many things can transpire whether it be for the good or not. I feel sad for you in your recent opinion of fst and wish you all the best at finding a happier place to be at. Maybe these types of forums are not for you anymore and it is best to leave.

6. BitTorrent   -   #46
    cinephilia's Avatar I don't like you BT Rep: +10BT Rep +10
    Quote Originally Posted by chiefosceola View Post
    I was an active member in oink but found its replacements just as nice. I'm just a pirate and as long as I get my music I'm just as happy. Where is all the rememberanances for napster, original winmx, kazaa before the crap it is today, bb that started it all, dcc, ftp dumps. What about the general disrespect for soul seek and edonkey. It all had its place in history and the evolution. Oink wasn't the first and won't be the last. Move with the time and enjoy it. Files will always be there to be had but to long after a dead site is pathetic. Forget it and move on.
    agreed.
    whenever people agree with me, i always feel i must be wrong.

7. BitTorrent   -   #47
    Quote Originally Posted by chiefosceola View Post
    I was an active member in oink but found its replacements just as nice. I'm just a pirate and as long as I get my music I'm just as happy. Where is all the rememberanances for napster, original winmx, kazaa before the crap it is today, bb that started it all, dcc, ftp dumps. What about the general disrespect for soul seek and edonkey. It all had its place in history and the evolution. Oink wasn't the first and won't be the last. Move with the time and enjoy it. Files will always be there to be had but to long after a dead site is pathetic. Forget it and move on.
    Agreed as well.

I've been doing this since 2000 and this is *always* how the community at large has treated the sharing/p2p scene. There's been a great deal of sites and programs that have helped shaped it over time, for better and worse, but we don't need to linger on what or how they provided it. A simple "Ah ya, OiNK was great!" would suffice. Otherwise you may as well have "remembrance" threads for at least 100 others on the list of "greats"/"memorables" - most of those having introduced far more radical changes than OiNK. I doubt many people here could list even a dozen of those though. Heh, I think I even lost track myself. But then again I was never a huge fan of the public p2p scene either

8. BitTorrent   -   #48
    Oink was really great! There can be no substitute

9. BitTorrent   -   #49
    The_Martinator's Avatar I is posting MACHINE BT Rep: +6BT Rep +6
    I never was a member, so I can't really miss it. But from what I've read if the site would have been online atm, most would migrate to What or Waffles anyway as they're better. Oink is the basis for both of them, no doubt about that.
    I'm back. The downside is that I'm also old now.

10. BitTorrent   -   #50
    Poster BT Rep: +3
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Martinator View Post
    I never was a member, so I can't really miss it. But from what I've read if the site would have been online atm, most would migrate to What or Waffles anyway as they're better. Oink is the basis for both of them, no doubt about that.
    waffles or what.cd might never had been made if it wasnt for the shutdown of oink tho.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast