Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: XBL Account Bans, Unauthorized Storage Devices Blocked In New Dash, Wave4 Update

Darth Sushi's Avatar Sushi Lord
    Quote Originally Posted by SonsOfLiberty View Post
    Never heard of a BD Player? For $100? Or a BDREader for $50?

Or this? Microsoft chief hints Blu-ray add-on for Xbox 360 Thu October 22, 2009
    I just hope it's cheaper than the xbox hard-drive upgrade or maybe not...
    Microsoft Says No Xbox Blu-ray Drives Period, Says Ballmer Was Talking About PCs
    Last edited by Darth Sushi; 10-23-2009 at 12:08 AM.

2. News (Archive)   -   #12
    SonsOfLiberty's Avatar The Lonely Wanderer
    This more clearly worded denial probably should have come last night, when we first asked for comment, instead of the more open-ended one provided at the time. Whatever... easy come, easy go. However, the idea that Ballmer was referring to the PC—which already has Blu-ray drives—rather than simply saying something that wasn't true, that's a little more questionable.

One more time, for posterity, this is what Ballmer said in reply to a question about putting Blu-ray in Xbox:

Well I don't know if we need to put Blu-ray in there—you'll be able to get Blu-ray drives as accessories.

It helps to read between the lines
    [center]

3. News (Archive)   -   #13
    iLOVENZB's Avatar FST Crew BT Rep: +1

One more time, for posterity, this is what Ballmer said in reply to a question about putting Blu-ray in Xbox:

Well I don't know if we need to put Blu-ray in there—you'll be able to get Blu-ray drives as accessories.

Forgive me for the following noobish coment, but aren't 360 games HD DVD's?

How can you play 360 games on a Blu-ray player?

No doubt the player will be over priced, like the HDD and other Xbox accessories.
    "Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music"

4. News (Archive)   -   #14
    No, it's DVD9.

If Xbox 360 games were 25-50GB HDDVD's no one would download the damn things.

Also, it would be comparable price wise, less than $200.

Also, the article I linked to said they did not want a divide between users with BD games.
    [center]

5. News (Archive)   -   #15
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    No, it's DVD9.

If Xbox 360 games were 25-50GB HDDVD's no one would download the damn things.

Also, it would be comparable price wise, less than $200.

Also, the article I linked to said they did not want a divide between users with BD games.
    That would be a great anti-piracy measure...
    They should have had the system use HDDVD (or bluray) and then filled the discs with useless filler so that the size would always add up to the full disc size whether it needed it (it doesn't) or not, then far fewer people would even bother...

6. News (Archive)   -   #16
    yes, that's what I always thought to, how many would honestly download a 50GB game not fracking many at all. Well if I was running Microsoft, I would immediatly start by adding BD built in, and using BD for games period, I beat you would see a 50% drop off in game piracy, only those that are dedicated/uncapped/or just plain stupid/or "must have games, BioShock2" would download them, 'cause common your gonna sit there and tell me that you would use up your monthly quota on one thing?

Also, some news out of the 360 front: old, but still, a good read

It appears Microsoft is now including the most recent major Dashboard Update on new game discs, specifically the Summer/Fall 09 update that brings the NXE dash to 8498.

As a result, they are closing the exploit used for the Free60 JTAG/SMC XeLL (Linux homebrew) hack.

To quote: "The first game confirmed to have this update on the disc is Cars Race-O-Rama. They added the new update into the video partition on the disc, which makes the partition larger than it always has been on older games.

Previously there were 3 known good sizes for the video partition, they were known as wave1, wave2 and wave3. One of the security features in all iXtreme firmware (except 1.51) is a check on the size of the video partition to make sure it matches one of the known waves.

The firmware will not boot any game that does not match a known wave, this is done to prevent booting bad backups and getting banned on Live. Since this new game has a larger video partition that does not match any of the 3 known waves, it does not boot.

This new game with the larger video partition is the start of "wave4" and our hacked firmware will need to be updated to accept this new size as a good value. The ETA for this new firmware is unknown. All drives will need to be updated to the new firmware once it's released in order to play backups of new games!

If the switch from wave2 to wave3 last year is any indication, there will be short cross-over period starting now where new games being released will be a mix of wave3 and wave4. After that it's safe to assume all new games will be wave4 going forward.

If you have a Samsung, BenQ or Lite-On 74850c drive you could choose to downgrade to iXtreme 1.51 to boot wave4 games. iXtreme 1.51 did not check the size of the video partition so it will boot any wave. iXtreme 1.6 brought the checks back for better security, but c4e coded a workaround into iXtreme 1.6 that allows "one shot" booting of non-stealth or unknown sized discs (new waves).

To do this you use the 0800 disc (activate.iso) that is available on this site and is also included with the iXtreme 1.6 firmware. Additional details on usage are in the iXtreme 1.6 README file. Obviously this method may not be safe for Xbox Live and should be used offline only and at your own risk."
    [center]

7. News (Archive)   -   #17
    10/26/09 UPDATE - Good news...early reports from users in the NXE Preview Program indicate that "hacked' 120GB internal drives still work fine on the new dashboard. It appears they are only targeting unofficial 3rd party memory cards, but obviously that could change at any time.
    [center]

8. News (Archive)   -   #18
    Dont think this is much to worry about, theres more chance you will be banned for other things now lol.

Stu

9. News (Archive)   -   #19
    Yes, like playing a game for more than 250 hours
    [center]

10. News (Archive)   -   #20
    Quote Originally Posted by iLOVENZB View Post

Forgive me for the following noobish coment, but aren't 360 games HD DVD's?

How can you play 360 games on a Blu-ray player?

No doubt the player will be over priced, like the HDD and other Xbox accessories.
    xbox 360 games were always on standard dvd discs, even though the console is able to produce high-def game graphics. they also released a low-priced external HD-DVD drive for xbox 360 which was able to play HD-DVD movies, but that was never a built-in default feature of the console -- it was only an external accessory. now that blu-ray has won the movie format war and people are naturally asking about the possibility of xbox 360 supporting blu-ray movies in the future... if microsoft WERE to add an internal blu-ray drive to xbox 360, then it should have no problem playing xbox 360 games since they are standard dvds which blu-ray drives ARE technically capable of playing.
    Last edited by 3RA1N1AC; 11-03-2009 at 11:22 PM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast