Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678

Thread: For All You Fans Of Fox News

a few weeks ago, i was flipping around between CNN, MSNBC, and Fox News, and they all covered the same particular story within a few minutes of each other. it was about Israel making an anti-fundamentalist raid and killing some Palestinians. on CNN and MSNBC, the anchors reported that the Israeli soldiers had killed "suspected terrorists." on Fox News, they simply reported that the dead Palestinians were terrorists.

i don't really like the either/or proposition constantly presented by the media, in general... but Fox News bases its reporting on a presumption of what constitutes truth and reality that i just don't agree with. compared to my own perceptions, Fox News' version of reality seems like a funhouse mirror to me. much of it seems only slightly more credible to me than the "news" segments on the 700 Club.

rather than say that the people at Fox News are liars, i'll just say that the version of reality that they present does not concur with my own.

2. The Drawing Room   -   #72
    j2k4's Avatar en(un)lightened
    Originally posted by 3RA1N1AC@23 October 2003 - 02:09
    a few weeks ago, i was flipping around between CNN, MSNBC, and Fox News, and they all covered the same particular story within a few minutes of each other. it was about Israel making an anti-fundamentalist raid and killing some Palestinians. on CNN and MSNBC, the anchors reported that the Israeli soldiers had killed "suspected terrorists." on Fox News, they simply reported that the dead Palestinians were terrorists.

i don't really like the either/or proposition constantly presented by the media, in general... but Fox News bases its reporting on a presumption of what constitutes truth and reality that i just don't agree with. compared to my own perceptions, Fox News' version of reality seems like a funhouse mirror to me.
    Good point.

I find ALL reportage, as a general rule, abominable; a fact-sorting mission, to be sure.

I much prefer the issue-oriented programming-one I find quite interesting is "Media Watch", which is hosted by Eric Burns on Friday eves, on FoxNews.

Two libs and two conservatives and Burns.

Not a bad show at all.
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

3. The Drawing Room   -   #73
    basically i think that some people will find a news source that concurs with their own assumptions, other people will find another, and so on... and unfortunately everybody else just has to settle for whatever's closest to their idea of the truth.

i do enjoy debate shows sometimes, depending on who's on, and whether they can get a good argument rolling.

4. The Drawing Room   -   #74
    BANNED
    I'm reminded here of a comment made long ago, about the favourite newspaper of the owner of Fox, Rupert (the Bear) Murdoch. That paper is The Sun.

[I quote]

The British Press

The Financial Times is read by the people who own the country;

The Times is read by the people who run the country;

The Telegraph is read by the people who think they run the country;

The Guardian is read by people who think they should run the country;

The Independent is read by people who don't know who runs the country but think it should be someone else;

The Morning Star is read by people who think the country should be run by Russia;

The Express is read by people who think the country should be run like it was in the good old days of the empire;

The Sun is read by people who don't give a fuck who runs the country, as long as she has big tits...

5. The Drawing Room   -   #75
    j2k4's Avatar en(un)lightened
    Originally posted by Billy_Dean@23 October 2003 - 02:35
    I'm reminded here of a comment made long ago, about the favourite newspaper of the owner of Fox, Rupert (the Bear) Murdoch. That paper is The Sun.

[I quote]

The British Press

The Financial Times is read by the people who own the country;

The Times is read by the people who run the country;

The Telegraph is read by the people who think they run the country;

The Guardian is read by people who think they should run the country;

The Independent is read by people who don't know who runs the country but think it should be someone else;

The Morning Star is read by people who think the country should be run by Russia;

The Express is read by people who think the country should be run like it was in the good old days of the empire;

The Sun is read by people who don't give a fuck who runs the country, as long as she has big tits...

Seen that somewhere.
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

6. The Drawing Room   -   #76
    BANNED
    Originally posted by j2k4@23 October 2003 - 16:40
    Seen that somewhere.
    Here, be my guest, have a look of the most read newspaper in the UK.

The Sun

7. The Drawing Room   -   #77
    MagicNakor's Avatar On the Peripheral
    German newspapers can be pretty bad on using the sex-to-sell.

things are quiet until hitler decides he'd like to invade russia
    so, he does
    the russians are like "OMG WTF D00DZ, STOP TKING"
    and the germans are still like "omg ph34r n00bz"
    the russians fall back, all the way to moscow
    and then they all begin h4xing, which brings on the russian winter
    the germans are like "wtf, h4x"
    -- WW2 for the l33t

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678