Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Windows 7 borrowed 'look' of Mac

iLOVENZB's Avatar FST Crew BT Rep: +1
    Windows 7 borrowed 'look' of Mac
    11:43 GMT, Friday, 13 November 2009

" A Microsoft executive was quoted in an interview as saying "what we've tried to do with Windows 7...is create a Mac look and feel in terms of graphics".

The comments, by partner group manager Simon Aldous, appeared in UK computing trade magazine PCR.

Microsoft countered that Mr Aldous was not involved with the development of Windows 7.

Microsoft's Brandon LeBlanc said in a blog that Mr Aldous's comments were "inaccurate and uninformed".

Suggestions that Microsoft has borrowed technology ideas has been rife for as long as the Windows and Mac operating systems have been around.

The very idea of who invented the "windows" on a "desktop" in Windows 1.0 was the basis of a 1988 lawsuit and remains a point of contention.

'One of our own'

However, many of the significant graphical changes present in Windows 7 have analogues in Mac's OS X - although neither firm has made an official statement about the apparent similarities.

"One of the things that people say an awful lot about the Apple Mac is that the OS is fantastic, that it's very graphical and easy to use," Mr Aldous told PCR.

"What we've tried to do with Windows 7 - whether it's traditional format or in a touch format - is create a Mac look and feel in terms of graphics. We've significantly improved the graphical user interface, but it's built on that very stable core Vista technology, which is far more stable than the current Mac platform, for instance."

Mr LeBlanc countered the claims in a post on the official Windows blog.
    "Unfortunately this came from a Microsoft employee who was not involved in any aspect of designing Windows 7," he wrote.

"I hate to say this about one of our own, but his comments were inaccurate and uninformed." "

Source: Windows 7 borrowed 'look' of Mac

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    Totti's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +21BT Rep +21BT Rep +21BT Rep +21BT Rep +21
    That's nothing new Microsoft have been stealing from apple from day 1 uhmm uhmm

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    megabyteme's Avatar RASPBERRY RIPPLE BT Rep: +19BT Rep +19BT Rep +19BT Rep +19
    "inaccurate and uninformed." like Vista?

Glad we have Win7 now.
    Quote Originally Posted by IdolEyes787 View Post
    Ghey lumberjacks, wolverines, blackflies in the summer, polar bears in the winter, that's basically Canada in a nutshell.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    Quote Originally Posted by Totti View Post
    and vice versa

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    iLOVENZB's Avatar FST Crew BT Rep: +1
    Quote Originally Posted by bobbintb View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Totti View Post
    and vice versa
    Damn straight, they steal off *BSD and then sell it at ridiculous price, giving nothing back to the community.
    "Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music"

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    good but the price...

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    BOSMAN's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +23BT Rep +23BT Rep +23BT Rep +23BT Rep +23
    Quote Originally Posted by valdez_juan View Post
    good but the price...
    yes price hehe
    pirate bay

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    i can't see the similarities. osx is clean, smart and "comfy" while xp/vista/7 looks just like my nephews room after he got to decide how he wanted it. whats up with the saturated colors ... it makes my eyes sore.

it is a little funny. in my opinion, no matter how hard ms tries to make their os's look good they always fail. they should fire their whole gui design department and start from scratch imho (maybe a little harsh but still true).

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    karachidude's Avatar Excelsior BT Rep: +5
    Win 7 is pretty solid

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    MODERATION BT Rep: +20BT Rep +20BT Rep +20BT Rep +20
    MAC?
    I thought it looks more like kubuntu, oh we...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast