Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Atheists and christmas

Poster BT Rep: +3
    Quote Originally Posted by bigboab View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ugk4life View Post

LOL, love how you didn't provide any source for these "other" definitions of religion. Atheist don't believe in God and religion involves worship of God(s). Atheist trust science. Science is NOT a belief system. It is observable fact.

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/religion

It doesn't get any better then merriam-webster. Or is there a better dictionary...lol. I can go all day, keep it comin'...BTW, I'm not atheist!
    I got my definition from Websters Third. Where there are 7 definitions of religion.

Lets ignore that and go your way. Looking at your source(I said no internet) I picked out definition number four(Only four!);

4 :a cause, principle, or system of beliefs held to with ardor and faith

No mention of a deity in that definition. Religion does not have the monopoly on the word faith.

So please explain how atheism is a cause..principle... system or belief or faith! BTW, merriam-webster and websters 3rd are the same folks(internet or not).
    Last edited by ugk4life; 01-10-2010 at 07:51 PM.

2. The Drawing Room   -   #32
    Quote Originally Posted by j2k4 View Post
    Thank you, Bob.

There you have it, Cowboy fan(s).

He didn't say anything of value. He just highlighted one word in the 4th description of a definition. Atheism is not a cause, in the sense of religion. Thats like saying being taught math in school is a cause in religion. Doesn't make any sense.
    Last edited by ugk4life; 01-10-2010 at 08:00 PM.

3. The Drawing Room   -   #33
    惡魔的提倡者

1st of all, "faith in science" is an oxymoron.
    faith (fth)n. 1. Confident belief in the truth, value, or trustworthiness of a person, idea, or thing.

Simply ask any atheist why don't they believe in god. Basically, there answer will be that there is no proof. The "proof" they speak of is fact based, observable, scientific proof.

And I don't care what dictionary you use as a source, web-based or not, somewhere in the definition of religion you will find "belief in God(s)" or "spirtuality"
    I like the saying "we're all Atheists, some just believe in one less God"

Atheists, just like those of faith can be shown all the scientific evidence under the sun and may still not believe what is in front of their eyes if it doesn't suit their viewpoint.

Atheists can believe things that have no scientific basis at all.

I probably erred by using the word faith, it was in response to your post where you said "Atheist trust science". Apparently with your dictionary having faith in and trusting in mean different things. I amend that question to - where is it written that Atheists have trust in science?

While I agrees it's more likely that they would be more trusting in certain scientific theory that contradicts religious theory, what I'm questioning is your assertion that Atheists trust science. One could be an Atheist and think scientific theory is a pile of crap.

I view religion as being worship. A theist can believe that there is a creator, but it's not a deity that requires worship.

For someone that claims to not be an Atheist you sure seem certain what they do or do not believe.

4. The Drawing Room   -   #34
    Quote Originally Posted by devilsadvocate View Post
    faith (fth)n. 1. Confident belief in the truth, value, or trustworthiness of a person, idea, or thing.

Simply ask any atheist why don't they believe in god. Basically, there answer will be that there is no proof. The "proof" they speak of is fact based, observable, scientific proof.

And I don't care what dictionary you use as a source, web-based or not, somewhere in the definition of religion you will find "belief in God(s)" or "spirtuality"

Atheists, just like those of faith can be shown all the scientific evidence under the sun and may still not believe what is in front of their eyes if it doesn't suit their viewpoint.

I probably erred by using the word faith, it was in response to your post where you said "Atheist trust science". Apparently with your dictionary having faith in and trusting in mean different things. I amend that question to - where is it written that Atheists have trust in science?

While I agrees it's more likely that they would be more trusting in certain scientific theory that contradicts religious theory, what I'm questioning is your assertion that Atheists trust science. One could be an Atheist and think scientific theory is a pile of crap.

I view religion as being worship. A theist can believe that there is a creator, but it's not a deity that requires worship.

For someone that claims to not be an Atheist you sure seem certain what they do or do not believe.
    We are talking about religion and faith and as you so pointed out "the dictionary has several different definitions". Atheism is NOT religious in any way.

2 a (1) : belief and trust in and loyalty to God (2) : belief in the traditional doctrines of a religion b (1) : firm belief in something for which there is no proof (2) : complete trust

So if you mean atheism has faith "in the truth" (from your chosen definition), sure I'll agree with you.

You can disagree if you like, but atheist need "proof". Factual, observable proof.

" For someone that claims to not be an Atheist you sure seem certain what they do or do not believe."

I know a lot about the washington redskins too, but that doesn't mean I like them... So whats your point?

5. The Drawing Room   -   #35
    bigboab's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +1

We are talking about religion and faith and as you so pointed out "the dictionary has several different definitions". Atheism is NOT religious in any way.

2 a (1) : belief and trust in and loyalty to God (2) : belief in the traditional doctrines of a religion b (1) : firm belief in something for which there is no proof (2) : complete trust

So if you mean atheism has faith "in the truth" (from your chosen definition), sure I'll agree with you.

You can disagree if you like, but atheist need "proof". Factual, observable proof.

" For someone that claims to not be an Atheist you sure seem certain what they do or do not believe."

I know a lot about the washington redskins too, but that doesn't mean I like them... So whats your point?
    For Chris.. sake. You are still picking out the parts that suit you. There is nobody arguing about your interpretation of religion. We are just saying that there are others.

Please excuse any typing errors. It is old age(The keyboard I mean) My birthday is due in about 10 weeks.
    The best way to keep a secret:- Tell everyone not to tell anyone.

6. The Drawing Room   -   #36
    You just picked the parts that suited your argument also. LOL, yeah this has kinda gotten outta hand. The argument that I was originally responding to was that atheism is a religion and all I was trying to say is that I don't understand how he came to that conclusion. We'll just have to agree to disagree...
    Last edited by ugk4life; 01-10-2010 at 08:55 PM.

7. The Drawing Room   -   #37
    惡魔的提倡者
    You are, or at least appear to be, missing my point.

You say Atheist don't believe because they have no proof, however an Atheist can believe in men from mars without proof.

Hardly a comparison.

You are making statements about what Atheists believe or don't believe and why. Apart from the denial of the existence of God there is no qualifying value or reasoning required to be classified as an Atheist. So any statement you make other than they don't believe in any god is pure guesswork and generalization.

8. The Drawing Room   -   #38
    You say Atheist don't believe because they have no proof, however an Atheist can believe in men from mars without proof.
    Proof please. Talk about guesswork and speculation

9. The Drawing Room   -   #39
    bigboab's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +1
    What about the Moonies. They have a God.

There are hundreds of different religions in this world. Each one thinks that they are the right one. They can't all be correct, then again it is possible that they could all be wrong.

Every person should be left to their own beliefs. If you don't agree with this and interfere with others beliefs then you must be willing to take the flak that will ensue.
    The best way to keep a secret:- Tell everyone not to tell anyone.

10. The Drawing Room   -   #40

For Chris.. sake. You are still picking out the parts that suit you. There is nobody arguing about your interpretation of religion. We are just saying that there are others.

Please excuse any typing errors. It is old age(The keyboard I mean) My birthday is due in about 10 weeks.

What about the Moonies. They have a God.

There are hundreds of different religions in this world. Each one thinks that they are the right one. They can't all be correct, then again it is possible that they could all be wrong.

Every person should be left to their own beliefs. If you don't agree with this and interfere with others beliefs then you must be willing to take the flak that will ensue.
    Don't know about the moonies but if they have a god they are not atheist (if that is what u r saying). I don't care what you believe. You are entitled to live your life the way u want. You can believe cows lay eggs if you want. That doesn't make it true. You can believe atheism is a religion if that makes u feel better, but that doesn't make it true.

Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast