Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Bittorrent With Firewall Running

Poster

Prior to version 3.2, BitTorrent by default uses ports in the range of 6881-6889. As of 3.2 and later, the range has been extended to 6881-6999. (These are all TCP ports, BitTorrent does not use UDP.) The client starts with the lowest port in the range and sequentially tries higher ports until it can find one to which it can bind. This means that the first client you open will bind to 6881, the next to 6882, etc. Therefore, you only really need to open as many ports as simultaneous BitTorrent clients you would ever have open. For most people it's sufficient to open 6881-6889.
    Now, which part of this do you NOT understand ? (and yes, that's from the guide about setting up BT with your network)

2. BitTorrent   -   #22
    Poster
    Originally posted by danne@18 October 2003 - 14:28

Prior to version 3.2, BitTorrent by default uses ports in the range of 6881-6889. As of 3.2 and later, the range has been extended to 6881-6999. (These are all TCP ports, BitTorrent does not use UDP.) The client starts with the lowest port in the range and sequentially tries higher ports until it can find one to which it can bind. This means that the first client you open will bind to 6881, the next to 6882, etc. Therefore, you only really need to open as many ports as simultaneous BitTorrent clients you would ever have open. For most people it's sufficient to open 6881-6889.
    Now, which part of this do you NOT understand ? (and yes, that's from the guide about setting up BT with your network)
    One Says TCP And The Other Says UDP.....What Ones Do I Open? I've Done Both For Now But I Would Like An Answer

3. BitTorrent   -   #23
    SniperInTheShadows's Avatar Poster
    From what i've read, i'd say the following -

Open TCP
    Do !!not!! open UDP

Sniper.

4. BitTorrent   -   #24
    Poster
    Wow It Works

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123