Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Itunes

Xanex's Avatar Poster
    Originally posted by echidna@19 October 2003 - 15:07
    I'm really disappointed to read that apple has made these changes to itunes for windows. On Mac OS itunes keeps files as mp3 or as wav and the primary function of itunes was as a cd ripper and music collection management rather than as a file search/acquisition system.
    itunes also burned great audio and mp3 cds

i will probably give it a try because it is so great on mac but as i said i'm disappointed that apple has seen fit to retard itunes like this. what a pisser.
    when i first met it itunes was the best cd ripper i'd ever used, it made all of the windows rippers seem like annoying toys, alas.

a couple of clarifying questions...

is it still a good ripper? does it still burn good compilations? do current versions of itunes for mac OS use the proprietary m4p format? is the proprietary format only for songs downloaded from apple or are ripped tracks saved like this too?
    since wma and other windows file stuff now have drm to them thus intelligent files i dont think they could do the same to an mp3 file so they make a new m4p file with the phone home stuff to it, sux dont it, its a question of not being able to change the parameters of an existing file system since mp3 was designed to work on as many systems as possible.

m4p bah

2. File Sharing   -   #22
    echidna's Avatar Poster
    Originally posted by cosmic doobie@20 October 2003 - 00:08
    The corporates are killing music.
    iTunes can suck my plums !
    99 cents a track - still too expensive!

It's zero cents on Kazaa Lite
    but itunes is primarily a ripping and encoding app, not a file sharing platform.
    being able to buy music with itunes is an after thought.

i think the point has been missed :: can anyone say if it's still a good ripper?

3. File Sharing   -   #23
    Poster
    Originally posted by echidna@19 October 2003 - 14:27
    but itunes is primarily a ripping and encoding app, not a file sharing platform.
    being able to buy music with itunes is an after thought.

thanks echidana (zappa ?)
    i didn't realise, I must research more !

4. File Sharing   -   #24
    Originally posted by Xanex+19 October 2003 - 23:25--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Xanex @ 19 October 2003 - 23:25)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
    Originally posted by kenny g@19 October 2003 - 15:05
    <!--QuoteBegin-Xanex
    @19 October 2003 - 22:35

on a side note, kinda amases me and puzzles at the same time that the largest stock exchange in the world, the &#036; is worth less than the £ currently 1.62&#036; to the 1£, any clues on this?

well , Japan has the world&#39;s second biggest economy and you get 186 yen for your squidney . It is only numbers at the end of the day . It only relates to how they started off . I mean you get 2.2 lbs in a Kilo but it doesn&#39;t mean that things are heavier in metric countries.
    i mean in the sense a CD is still worth a CD when you boil down to it (not literally).

so if you equate 99c to 1 track thats about 14-16 tracks on a good cd, roughly 15&#036; for a CD, you where as its about £13 for a good cd here (good cd = chart and antichart stuff)

and since its about 1.62&#036; to the £ work it out.

SO all in all, is a CD still worth a CD? go figure. i guess they should just have prices like that fixed or somethin, some cd&#39;s i can get on import cheaper than if i where to buy them here.

oh well just a thought [/b][/quote]
    The price of something is related to how much profit someone can screw out of their workers rather then the real value of the item. Loads of things are cheaper in the US then in europe . Thats why so many of them are such fat tubs of lard , you can buy a 1 kg of baskin robbins for about 3 dollars whereas it would cost at least twice as much over in the Uk. Petrol costs them jack so they drive massive SUVs etc etc. They are living at the centre of the US world empire after all so they feel they deserve the fruits of their world domination. Anyways, I am sure as hell noy going to give a penny towards any of their recording or movie industry if I can help it . I have already given up smoking bcause I don&#39;t want to pay money to Scum US companys.

5. File Sharing   -   #25
    &#036;.99 isn&#39;t really that much.
    Yes if you do the math, audio CDs hold about 12-16 songs and that would make it about &#036;15 a CD, but on iTunes they give you the option to buy and download the entire CD for only &#036;9.99

I agree that it sucks that the songs are not in mp3 format, but as I said, I heard thats changing soon.

And no, you can&#39;t buy the song and share it, that&#39;s still illegal. If you think &#036;.99 is too much, it&#39;s time to stop mooching off your parents and get a job.

After 128kbps it&#39;s very hard to tell the difference, but the songs from iTunes are at 192kbps.

Kenny, I don&#39;t sound like a marketeer, I sound like a reviewer. If you&#39;ve ever read a magazine or newspaper, your should know what that is.

I&#39;m well aware of how to find high quality songs on Kazaa, I know all about the filters and what to look for. But even if you do find the right quality and high bandwidth, it might not start, and if it does, it usually isn&#39;t downloading at the speed I want it to. With iTunes, a song download takes about 10 seconds.

Echidna
    It does burn audio CDs. So far I haven&#39;t seen a CD Ripper, but I haven&#39;t put in an audio CD yet to see. I would think they would give you the choice of putting them in mp3 format. iTunes has only been out for a few days on Windows, so most likely in later versions, new features will come around.
    They didn&#39;t just delete the old iTunes and make it purely music buying, you&#39;ll feel at home.

cosmic doobie
    the corporates are killing music
    Yes...your downloading music from music artists for free, making them get less money to make more music in the future....and the corporates are killing music. makes perfect sense.

6. File Sharing   -   #26
    Originally posted by GLiO@19 October 2003 - 08:46
    &#036;.99 isn&#39;t really that much.
    FALSE: It just doesn&#39;t seem like that much when you&#39;re looking at is &#036;.99 for a single song. I have 450 MP3&#39;s, there&#39;s no way in hell I would spend &#036;450 for them. That&#39;s just insanity.

7. File Sharing   -   #27
    This is a filesharing forum Kazaa Lite is a free filesharing program,so why should i pay for a song?

8. File Sharing   -   #28
    Poster
    Originally posted by sharedholder@19 October 2003 - 20:59
    This is a filesharing forum Kazaa Lite is a free filesharing program,so why should i pay for a song?
    Agreed.

Some people just &#39;aint got a clue.

9. File Sharing   -   #29
    Poster
    Percent-wise AND absolute dollar-wise, artists get less money from these itunes than they would from CD sales.

I&#39;ve read artists get about &#036;0.09 per itunes download.

10. File Sharing   -   #30
    Switeck, &#036;.09 per song is a whole lot better than &#036;0.00 per song.

ScotchGuy, what if filesharing hadn&#39;t come around, you would&#39;ve spent more than that to get those 450 songs.

sharedholder, why should people make songs? Why don&#39;t they stop? They aren&#39;t making any money from it thanks to you, so why don&#39;t they just stop.

Hell why don&#39;t we wipe out music completely because obviously no one can open their heads to the cold hard fact that they are robbing artists blind. If you like them so much why don&#39;t you support them?

Ok, not everyone in the world downloads music for free, so the artist is still going to make money. But what if everyone starts thinking in that mindset, then what is the artist going to do? Stop making music because they can&#39;t afford their instruments, the recording booth, their agent, and everything else needed to make a song and a CD.

I&#39;m not here to start a giant I&#39;m right your wrong war, I just thought I&#39;d let everyone know about iTunes and what I thought about it.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast