Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hot Motherboard

Originally posted by zapjb@20 October 2003 - 17:13
    I say if you can't get that mobo down in temp, RMA it. What's the warr term on it?
    It's new. 2 days old. The limit is 7 days. I have 5 days to make it work.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #12
    zapjb's Avatar Computer Abuser BT Rep: +3
    I'd RMA it sooner than later then. 7 days that's fn short. Just be sure to follow SOYO RMA procedure. And print all the info & RMA docs out.

And don't say anything about a substandard 300w (vs recommended 400w) PSU or overclocking.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #13
    BANNED
    Originally posted by The Kiler+21 October 2003 - 07:28--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (The Kiler @ 21 October 2003 - 07:28)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
    Originally posted by The Kiler@20 October 2003 - 17:15
    <!--QuoteBegin-zapjb
    @20 October 2003 - 17:13
    I say if you can&#39;t get that mobo down in temp, RMA it. What&#39;s the warr term on it?

My manual says 400 watts minmium for full system boot up. I only have 300. Is that the problem?
    I did say I&#39;m not putting the right voltage.. [/b][/quote]
    That&#39;s not the voltage, it&#39;s the power consumption, that needs to be larger if you are running lots of cards and accessories.

The power will be very low, 1.5v, 2.2v, but crucial you choose the right one.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #14
    Virtualbody1234's Avatar Forum Star BT Rep: +2
    I would check the board installation. Is the board mounted on the standoffs correctly? Is there a possibility that the board is touching the case to ground it?

What other devices are connected to the board? Strip down the system to the minimum. What I mean is only, motherboard, CPU, RAM and video. Start it up again and closely monitor the board. If it gets hot again then shut it down right away.

If they recommend 400w then get one like that or higher.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #15
    Originally posted by Virtualbody1234@20 October 2003 - 18:10
    I would check the board installation. Is the board mounted on the standoffs correctly? Is there a possibility that the board is touching the case to ground it?

What other devices are connected to the board? Strip down the system to the minimum. What I mean is only, motherboard, CPU, RAM and video. Start it up again and closely monitor the board. If it gets hot again then shut it down right away.

I really want to know why too little power would make the board too hot

6. Software & Hardware   -   #16
    Virtualbody1234's Avatar Forum Star BT Rep: +2
    I don&#39;t think that is the cause of the hot motherboard but it could be. If you can run it then try looking in the BIOS for "Hardware Health" and check the voltages there. If the voltages are not within specs then it could be the cause of the overheating.

I think it&#39;s more likely that the motherboard is shorted somewhere or it&#39;s a faulty board.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #17
    bigdawgfoxx's Avatar Big Dawg
    Take that thing back
    what is RMA?
    [SIZE=1]AMD 4200 X2 @ 2.65Ghz, ASRock 939-VSTA
    1.75GB PC3200, 2 X 160GB Seagate w/ 8MB Buffer
    HIS Radeon X800 Pro, Antec Super Lanboy Aluminum

8. Software & Hardware   -   #18
    Poster
    Originally posted by The Kiler+20 October 2003 - 23:14--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (The Kiler &#064; 20 October 2003 - 23:14)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Virtualbody1234@20 October 2003 - 18:10

I really want to know why too little power would make the board too hot [/b][/quote]
    i&#39;d RMA the hell outta that thing, simply cuz u have a friggin 7 day warranty - THAT&#39;S UNHEARD OF&#33; (return merchandise authorization)

9. Software & Hardware   -   #19
    Originally posted by Virtualbody1234@20 October 2003 - 20:43
    I don&#39;t think that is the cause of the hot motherboard but it could be. If you can run it then try looking in the BIOS for "Hardware Health" and check the voltages there. If the voltages are not within specs then it could be the cause of the overheating.

I think it&#39;s more likely that the motherboard is shorted somewhere or it&#39;s a faulty board.
    10V, Recommened is 12V. Red Zone.

10. Software & Hardware   -   #20
    Poster
    Listen to Virtualbody1234 , you likely have it shorted or something like that.I doubt that the power supply would make it run hot,it just doesn&#39;t make sense. Did you overclock it? If you did then restore the factory defaults.
    pull the board out and make sure all the risers are in the right spots , when you reassemble make sure to only connect your primary hard drive,your video card and CPU and see what happens.
    Gigabyte GA7-VT600 P-L
    Athlon XP2500+ @ 3200+
    512mb OCZ DDR333 (2,3,3,7)
    Samsung SP8004h 80gig harddrive
    Radeon 9200 128 mb
    LG cdrw/dvd drive

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12