Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Great Defense In Riaa Lawsuits?

Poster
    There WAS a couple super-common Kazaa viruses that secretly turned on sharing if it was disabled AND shared a hidden folder. ( C:\windows\scache32 or C:\windows\cache32 depending on virus varient.) It wasn't an 'mp3' virus, it just nailed the unsuspecting newbies who had LOTS of MP3s in their shared folder.
    It used fake filenames like Ad Aware 6.5 new.exe and BearShare 5.1.1.exe as 'bait' to get others to download and run it.

If you found out you DID have that virus AFTER getting contacted by a lawyer/suing by RIAA, then it might be at least a mitigating issue for decreasing the appliable penalty at least IMO.

2. File Sharing   -   #12
    Poster
    Originally posted by zombiemang@26 October 2003 - 17:02
    I had a great idea, Yall let me know what you think. Ok, The RIAA is really cracking down on this file (mp3) sharing thing, right? Here is the deal, The people that have mp3's on there computer are not "illegal", due to the fact that they probably purchased the cd and converted the .wav files to mp3 format, so they can use them in the mp3 player etc.... The RIAA is pissed at the people sharing there music with others that have not "purchased" it. Ok, what if there was a worm (virus) that was created by someone, that when it infected someones computer it searched there entire harddrive for mp3's and then connected to p2p software, and shared the files without the owner of the computer knowing. Then would that not be a huge loophole for the defense? I mean the owner did nothing at all wrong, other than catch a worm (virus) somewhere off the internet. If alot of people started creating worms such as this (or whatever it would be considered) and flooded the internet with them just as they do viruses that would be great for P2P runners. Even if he or she didnt have the worm, it would still be a defense to the owner of the internet connection. NOT THAT THIS SHOULD BE DONE BY ANYONE, BUT IT WAS JUST A THOUGHT. I wonder if there is already something out there like this.
    Just where would this worm send files?

How often would it repeat itself?

How long before there is no traffic on the web but this worm?

Beware the worm

Close your contacts folder

LoL

And how long 'for you get done as a hacker/cracker....spammer?

3. File Sharing   -   #13
    Poster
    Im wondering how there has not been a massive virus which enables sharing on al computers, but displays to the user that sharing is disabled, that would make it a hell of a lot harder for the RIAA to stop us, imagine there is probably about another 2 million who dont share, thats about 6 1/2 million online sharing files.

If you move folders from "My Shared Folder" can the RIAA find them on your comp, wouldnt that be classed as snooping which is illegal ?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12