Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Coax (cable tv) over cat5e?

darkstate01's Avatar Poster
    the balun what Detale said use is the best bet then,you would have a balun coming out of your pc video/sound, plug a cat 5 into it,then plug the other balun into your tv with the other end of the cat 5.
    As far as remotely changing channels on another pc,use logmein/vnc/cygwin with openssh remote desktop,just to name a few, and then just log onto your pc and do you stuff.
    We will get you there in the end
    PAIN is just WEAKNESS leaving the body

2. Software & Hardware   -   #12
    Tv Controls you's Avatar Resistance is Futile BT Rep: +2
    Quote Originally Posted by darkstate01 View Post
    the balun what Detale said use is the best bet then,you would have a balun coming out of your pc video/sound, plug a cat 5 into it,then plug the other balun into your tv with the other end of the cat 5.
    As far as remotely changing channels on another pc,use logmein/vnc/cygwin with openssh remote desktop,just to name a few, and then just log onto your pc and do you stuff.
    We will get you there in the end
    Using a balun I will be able to switch channels with a remote to the tv/monitor.

I was talking about running it over a network.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #13
    darkstate01's Avatar Poster
    Logmein/openssh remote desktop to the pc you can control everything via the network like you are on your pc.
    PAIN is just WEAKNESS leaving the body

4. Software & Hardware   -   #14
    Detale's Avatar Go Snatch a Judge
    Wait, to be clear. Are you trying to watch cable TV over this line or stream movies from your PC?

5. Software & Hardware   -   #15
    Quote Originally Posted by Detale View Post
    Wait, to be clear. Are you trying to watch cable TV over this line or stream movies from your PC?
    Watch cable tv, I already have my server with movies on it that I could stream from any local machine.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #16
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    Is this just standard cable or are you planning to use digital?

Those baluns that Detale posted might work. But I'm betting that it wouldn't work all that well, and probably best with the low channels (1-13). I doubt it will work at all with digital cable or with a cable modem though.
    There are actual RF to CAT5 baluns but they are very expensive. $60 each (and you need two, and I have no idea how well they work).

Also CAT5 is not shielded. The reason we use coax is because it is shielded. The CAT5 will probably pick up a lot of interference (especially if it's running in the same cable as your network/internet). It may even interfere with your network connection...

Keep in mine that everything I've said is just guesses. I really have no idea if this will work and for 30 cents a balun it's obviously worth a shot.
    If it was me I'd just run the coax.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #17
    I ran 100 feet of coax cable around the house consuming a little over 2 days of my time.

Problem solved, now I just have to figure out how to turn off a monitor that has no remote.

*by the way I'm still going to test the baluns when ever they get delivered.
    Last edited by Tv Controls you; 05-13-2010 at 03:40 AM.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #18
    Detale's Avatar Go Snatch a Judge
    In the words of the great Professor Fate " Push the Button Max!!"

[youtube]b4rAUt1jNZY[/youtube]

9. Software & Hardware   -   #19
    If your laying in bed at 1 in the morning you won't want to get up to turn off the monitor lol.

10. Software & Hardware   -   #20
    megabyteme's Avatar RASPBERRY RIPPLE BT Rep: +19BT Rep +19BT Rep +19BT Rep +19
    Get The Clapper

/thread

Actually, there should be some other remote controlled power-plug devices that you can find.
    Quote Originally Posted by IdolEyes787 View Post
    Ghey lumberjacks, wolverines, blackflies in the summer, polar bears in the winter, that's basically Canada in a nutshell.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast