Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Water Cooling:your Opinions

Virtualbody1234's Avatar Forum Star BT Rep: +2
    Again, abu_has_no_power, where do you get your facts ?

http://www.macminute.com/2003/10/07/cooligy

2. Software & Hardware   -   #22
    _John_Lennon_'s Avatar Poster
    That article in no way stated that current Mac G5's are using water cooling, just that that technique is being developed using mac processors, and AMd and Intel for that matter.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #23
    Virtualbody1234's Avatar Forum Star BT Rep: +2
    I'm not sayin that current G5s use this (maybe future ones). What I'm saying is that the "Mac company" knows what water cooling is.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #24
    abu_has_the_power's Avatar I have cool stars
    Originally posted by _John_Lennon_@1 November 2003 - 20:24
    That article in no way stated that current Mac G5's are using water cooling, just that that technique is being developed using mac processors, and AMd and Intel for that matter.
    yea, virtualbody, quit trying to bite my ass. i was talking about the current g5, not future developments

and yea, the part bout mac's not knowing bout wc was a sarcastic insult. ok?

please, i'm not 5 u know

5. Software & Hardware   -   #25
    Poster
    off topic, i notice abu is always proved wrong by virtualbody1234

6. Software & Hardware   -   #26
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    Originally posted by Kunal@2 November 2003 - 05:02
    off topic, i notice abu is always proved wrong by virtualbody1234
    I sense a Hatfield/McCoy situation abrewin...
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

7. Software & Hardware   -   #27
    SciManAl's Avatar Hardware guy
    Hehehe simmer down children... ok one more question i have not had this problem of germs in the water, i assume the bad parts of this is nasty water and clogging of the water ways in a water cooling system.. how bad is that compared to other problems? (your opinions) I am using a ratio that looks like this for the water... your comments???
    (out of ten drops this what you get)
    4 drops Isopropyl Alchohol
    3 drops water additive (came with water resivor, supposed to span the multi metal type bridge...)
    3 drops filtered water

i was expiramenting with a mainly alchohol composed water set up(not including commercial additives), i have a somewhat heatpipe pump set up... didn't intend for it but it does... the alchohol keeps seperating from the water when it evaporates, then it re-enters the water... don't really now if this helps anything or not lol... anyway, but at 32 gph i have an oced AMD barton 2500+ and i have unlocked it... running at 30 degrees celcius, with radiater fans at 30 Dba (i think that is the acronim) and at 32 degrees celcius when i run the fans at 10 percent, or 5 Dba as stated in my sig i run all this without a peltier, at +3000(stable)and a really high FSB, can't recall... on an ABIT board... so i think it works well... i also had an acident when a tube kinked and the pump had enough torgue that it actually burst the tubing... (i made the pump my self, reduced gear driven cylinder(like what a car has) low gph, very high torgue(i have pumped water through tubing there and back in ecces of 20 ft) but the alcholhol just evaporated, and i didn't have that bad of a problem... i have a completly acrylic case, so i saw it when it happened.. i was going insane.. i had drilled some holes in the bottom of the cas so that any water that did leak would get its way the hell outa my case, but there was too much water, when it was all out, i relized that all that was left was the water... sure enough no smell of alchohol... now this is my question... can i run the system with strait alchohol??? i think that is ok with the metals involved copper, and silver... what you think??? (Disclaimer: No motherboards, or other hardware were harmed past repair in the occurance.) tHANKS FOR reSpondIng PoepLE!!!!

8. Software & Hardware   -   #28
    racer II's Avatar Poster
    Originally posted by SciManAl@2 November 2003 - 19:35
    now this is my question... can i run the system with strait alchohol???
    Well what if anything goes wrong, a tiny leak or so.... i think you will burn down the house.
    System:
    LANPARTY UT NF4 SLI-DR Expert
    AMD Athlon 64 X2 4200+
    Xfx 7900gt extreme
    2x Maxtor 250gb sata
    2x Maxtor 80gb (p)ata
    2x 512mb mem , dual channel
    Tagan 580w psu
    Coolermaster stacker case
    Zalman reserator 1

9. Software & Hardware   -   #29
    SciManAl's Avatar Hardware guy
    well take my computer, you mine as well take the house too... (hehehehe)
    no disrespect intended but we are not talking about the kind of alchohol you drink, while this stuff is still somewhat flammable, we are talking about the stuff you putt on a cut to make it clean... , and for disinfectant.. so it wont just burst into flame...

10. Software & Hardware   -   #30
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    Al, I'm not sure what you hope to gain by running straight alchohol in your system.

I think that the fear of bacteria/mold etc. stems from the aquarium pump origins of aftermarket systems. This is never an issue in an automotive cooling systems.

If I were you ( and when my setup is done I intend to do this, btw) I would look into WaterWetter and BG radiator treatment. Both products have surfactants and other additives which increase the water's ability to transfer heat to the radiator.

I would also add some method of throttling back or controlling the GPH. If water circulates too quickly it is in and out of the radiator before it has really shed it's thermal load. Faster is not always better in a system like this.

Do you really have fans that only produce 5db? What brand are they, I'd love to get some. Most fans make more noise than that while still in the factory packaging.
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast