Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Connection keeps getting reset when connecting to Torrentz.com

Urgent

Hi everyone. I'm a Comcast HSI subscriber, and I'm unable to browse to torrentz.com. When I try to browse to it, it will sit there for about 2 minutes, then Firefox will eventually say that the connection has been reset, most likely because it was taking so long. I'm on OpenDNS as my DNS provider, but AFAIK, that shouldn't be affecting things. Here's my Trace route: (I've cut out some stuff for privacy)

Code:
    Tracing route to torrentz.com [209.44.114.225]

over a maximum of 30 hops:

1    <1 ms    <1 ms    <1 ms  ******* [192.168.1.1] 

2     *        *        *     Request timed out.

3   163 ms   186 ms   206 ms  [REMOVED]

4   242 ms   466 ms   271 ms  [REMOVED]

5   107 ms    99 ms    81 ms  pos-2-8-0-0-cr01.mclean.va.ibone.comcast.net [68.86.90.105] 

6   353 ms   127 ms    40 ms  xe-11-2-0.edge1.Washington1.Level3.net [4.79.231.13] 

7    86 ms    90 ms   150 ms  vlan79.csw2.Washington1.Level3.net [4.68.17.126] 

8   103 ms    79 ms   235 ms  ae-72-72.ebr2.Washington1.Level3.net [4.69.134.149] 

9   321 ms   406 ms   244 ms  ae-3-3.ebr1.NewYork2.Level3.net [4.69.132.90] 

10   146 ms   146 ms   262 ms  ae-1-100.ebr2.NewYork2.Level3.net [4.69.135.254] 

11   227 ms   263 ms   287 ms  ae-6-6.ebr4.NewYork1.Level3.net [4.69.141.21] 

12   404 ms   150 ms    93 ms  ae-5-5.car1.Montreal2.Level3.net [4.69.141.5] 

13   205 ms   206 ms   193 ms  NHS.car2.Montreal2.Level3.net [4.59.178.2] 

14   225 ms   216 ms   219 ms  209.44.125.17 

15   181 ms   187 ms   227 ms  64.15.64.63 

16   253 ms   231 ms   238 ms  209.44.114.225 

Trace complete.
    P.S. If anyone knows why that second hop always times out for me, help there would be great, too.

2. BitTorrent   -   #2
    I'm on OpenDNS here as well, and I can access the site without any problems. If you use a software firewall, make sure it's not blocking Torrentz for some reason. Same goes for your router, if applicable.

As for why there's a constant timeout on the second hop, I don't know. For me, that's always my ISP's gateway (same IP as me, but with a 1 as the final octet).
    "I just remembered something that happened a long time ago."

3. BitTorrent   -   #3
    Quote Originally Posted by anon-sbi View Post
    I'm on OpenDNS here as well, and I can access the site without any problems. If you use a software firewall, make sure it's not blocking Torrentz for some reason. Same goes for your router, if applicable.

As for why there's a constant timeout on the second hop, I don't know. For me, that's always my ISP's gateway (same IP as me, but with a 1 as the final octet).
    My router has never done that before, and although I know it's stupid, I'm not running any software firewalls on my PC I guess I think I'm safe enough.

I've never really understood that ISP gateway thing. Sometimes I remember seeing this Gateway adapter show up on my PC's network connections window, but other than that, odd. I tried doing a WHOIS on the last IP, and the only thing I got back was that it belonged to some sort of range, other than that, no information. Very strange.

4. BitTorrent   -   #4
    So does anyone else know why I can't connect to torrentz.com?

5. BitTorrent   -   #5
    Quote Originally Posted by GCI View Post
    I know it's stupid, I'm not running any software firewalls on my PC
    It's not as stupid as you'd think. The router should protect you from most incoming attacks if you only forward the ports you need, and if you're careful with what you run...

I've never really understood that ISP gateway thing.
    If you feel like reading:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Residential_gateway

As for your issue, can't you check if a friend or neighbor using Comcast also has problems to access Torrentz? This should give you as clue as to whether the issue is on your side or your provider's.

6. BitTorrent   -   #6
    It's not as stupid as you'd think. The router should protect you from most incoming attacks if you only forward the ports you need, and if you're careful with what you run...

I've never really understood that ISP gateway thing.
    If you feel like reading:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Residential_gateway

As for your issue, can't you check if a friend or neighbor using Comcast also has problems to access Torrentz? This should give you as clue as to whether the issue is on your side or your provider's.
    I actually just learned the reason for the timeout on the second hop, it's because our modem most likely blocks ICMP requests. I asked a friend/neighbor who also uses Comcast to try it, and they reported that it works fine for them. So I guess either Comcast is blocking it for my account (possible?) or it's the router. The router, by the way, is a Linksys WRT54G v4 router, and I just upgraded the firmware to DD-WRT v24 Std 13064. Still same problem.

7. BitTorrent   -   #7
    P.S. Does this site have post moderation on? I think all of these spam bot restrictions are a little too much. A simple RE-Captcha registration is all you need.

8. BitTorrent   -   #8
    P.S. Does this site have post moderation on?
    Posts meeting certain requirements are automatically moderated.

9. BitTorrent   -   #9
    P.S. Does this site have post moderation on?
    Posts meeting certain requirements are automatically moderated.
    Ahh, there it is. So what do you think?

10. BitTorrent   -   #10
    Sorry, missed your other post!

either Comcast is blocking it for my account (possible?) or it's the router.
    Both are possible. If you're able to temporarily remove the router and get a direct connection, do so and try again. You'd discard one of them.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast