Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Fastest 56k Speed

I remember when my Dad was on AOL dialup, it would never connect at over 33,000bps and it was really slow, about 2.5kb per second.

Luckily we both have cable on our computers now.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #12
    Poster
    When downloading songs on my DSL, I get speeds of like 150-250 kb/s. But im on a router which I think slows my speed down a lot.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #13
    Wise Kvcd Maker/PIMP
    Originally posted by Lemmỵ@4 November 2003 - 07:32
    Far out. I've never had a pop greater than 4.3kb/s, and even that glory never outlasts a minute or two. I'm usually around 3kb/s with good sources. Could it have anything to do with living in a block of 40yr old flats? (I connect at a solid 40.0kbps)
    Use Juno it connects from 40-46 it's free and u can use it all day.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #14
    one thing to remember about dialups. especially aohell users. that connection rate that it shows you when it connects? that is JUST WHEN IT CONNECTS. Your actual bitrates will fluctuate, while you are online. Maybe a little, maybe a lot, but they dont hardly ever stay at the same speed as when you connected to the ISP server.
    6-7 on a dialup? I'd be damn proud of that, if it was me

My buddy living out in the stix, he gets a conn of 15. not 22, not 30, not 40+...15. gaming with him online was like watching a turtle move, and I was on 56k at the time too!

5. Software & Hardware   -   #15
    I just wanted to add this lil comment- ya know that 5x faster stuff that earthlink promotes with their dialup access? It will Not help you with downloads and KL. Basically all that software does it help to filter out adds and shit that loads up inside of website pages. It's a surfing tool, not a downloading tool

6. Software & Hardware   -   #16
    There is a way to double your DL speed with 56k Modem!

Well, you really need 2. 56k Modems and set a few things under XP, so it will bundle both connections and treat them like one single connection. Only problem is that you need to dial-up both 56k modems every time but you will get like 10 KB/sec downloads! Maximum transmision speed of 1. 56k modem is 7.075 KB/sec, so with both modems working your maximum could be 14.15 KB/sec.

I tried it in my area with my old EarthLink account and they don't seem to care (or know) if I was logged on with the same username and password twice! Anway, I got 1.5 Mbps DSL know and don't really care about that little trick anymore.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #17
    hugoharding's Avatar its changed since 02
    Originally posted by MadDog-2000@10 November 2003 - 20:21
    There is a way to double your DL speed with 56k Modem!

Well, you really need 2. 56k Modems and set a few things under XP, so it will bundle both connections and treat them like one single connection. Only problem is that you need to dial-up both 56k modems every time but you will get like 10 KB/sec downloads! Maximum transmision speed of 1. 56k modem is 7.075 KB/sec, so with both modems working your maximum could be 14.15 KB/sec.

I tried it in my area with my old EarthLink account and they don't seem to care (or know) if I was logged on with the same username and password twice! Anway, I got 1.5 Mbps DSL know and don't really care about that little trick anymore.
    Can you explain how to do this please.

cheers,

Hugo.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #18
    twisterX's Avatar Poster
    Originally posted by mooseman2070@4 November 2003 - 01:57
    i am one of the few who have 56k, go on laugh, well the fastest i can get my Vloads to get is 5k anyone who knows where i can get an accelerator? or any "softwarez" sites ;-)
    Damn I get up to seven

9. Software & Hardware   -   #19
    Autumn Fox's Avatar n00b
    Download "BeFaster" from Ekremdeniz.com it'll change some values in your systems setup. Not much of a speed up but still worth trying.

10. Software & Hardware   -   #20
    Try to definitly get dsl or cable modem.
    <span style='color:blue'><span style='font-family:Arial'>Msi ms-6330
    Amd Athlon at 1ghz
    896mb Ram pc-133
    Seagate 80gb 7,200 rpm
    Nvidia Geforce MX 420
    21 inch screen
    MSI 52X32X52 CD-RW (cr52-m)
    SoundBlaster 5.1 mp3+
    Creative Labs 5.1 Speakers
    Xp Pro Sp1</span></span>

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast